Register
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    BobsYerUncle is offline Member

Question Small blue plastic envelopes: heroin, crack, or something else?

I was cleaning up the never-ending trash around the Mt. Airy Playground today and I've started finding small blue plastic envelopes, about the size of postage stamps. Any idea what they're from? I assume drugs. Curious to know what it's likely to be: heroin, cocaine, marijuana, or something else. The reason I'm curious is I want to leverage this to try to ask for increased support from Dept. of Recreation and the 14th to try to help deal with the crowds there that play late into the night.

Thanks.

raider.adam is offline Senior Member

Yup, drugs. Typically crack.

daninpa is online now Cheesesteak GURU!

They are called dimebags. When cleaning Vernon Park I found many.

Dayman is offline Champion of the Sun

It can be any drug. Usually coke, heroin, crack, or pot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Paine
    “The World is my country, all Mankind are my brethren, and to do Good is my religion.”

desolate is offline Double spaced

uh what was on the inside. Green or white or brown.
    I'm not seeing all these supposed bikes in all these million dollar bike lanes.

BobsYerUncle is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by desolate View Post
    uh what was on the inside. Green or white or brown.
    Um. If I knew that, I would'n't have answer the question.

I've just started finding a lot of these empty bags and wanted to see if people had a sense of what the most likely substance was.

Litter Box is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by BobsYerUncle View Post
    Um. If I knew that, I would'n't have answer the question.

I've just started finding a lot of these empty bags and wanted to see if people had a sense of what the most likely substance was.
    If it's the little bags I'm thinking about, crack. It would be hard to get a powder out of those tiny bags.
    But all in all, it's been a fabulous year for Laura and me.
    12/21/2001 White House release: President Highlights

toxigal is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Litter Box View Post
    If it's the little bags I'm thinking about, crack. It would be hard to get a powder out of those tiny bags.
    you'd be amazed at the skill of drug dealers. when i worked as a forensic chemist those envelopes generally contained cocaine (powdered or crack), heroin or methamphetamine. if you can find an interested cop, he may be able to get the lab to swab one to see what was inside.

if you find them, use gloves to pick them up. i heard many a cop testify to the dealer pulling those little envelopes out of their butt to seel to someone (who then often would pop it into their mouth while walking away).

uly55es1 is offline “anobium punctatum.”

Quote Originally Posted by toxigal View Post
    you'd be amazed at the skill of drug dealers. when i worked as a forensic chemist those envelopes generally contained cocaine (powdered or crack), heroin or methamphetamine. if you can find an interested cop, he may be able to get the lab to swab one to see what was inside.

if you find them, use gloves to pick them up. i heard many a cop testify to the dealer pulling those little envelopes out of their butt to seel to someone (who then often would pop it into their mouth while walking away).
    TMI
    But if any provide not for his own, and specially for those of his own house, he hath denied the faith, and is worse than an infidel. 1 Timothy 5:8 Translations

feglosh is offline Member

It is always crack, in rock form and therefore little to no residue. That's why you find the bags in the first place. If there was any residue, junkies would be picking up the bags for a second-hand-high.

When I clean my street and gutters in South Philly I always find a dozen or so of these baggies. But if you look closely, they're everywhere.

There is controversy over this candy recently, not sure if they still make it. Awesome.
    Hershey Candy Made to Look Like Drugs
    Last edited by feglosh; 09-08-2010 at 12:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by feglosh View Post
    It is always crack, in rock form and therefore little to no residue. That's why you find the bags in the first place. If there was any residue, junkies would be picking up the bags for a second-hand-high.
    lack of visible residue does not mean lack of residue. trust me, the lab can usually id what was in the bag even if you can't see anything left.

azion is offline Time Lord

Everyone: trust Toxi on this. She's a forensic chemist, which means that it's what she does for a living.

-Z

Quote Originally Posted by azion View Post
    Everyone: trust Toxi on this. She's a forensic chemist, which means that it's what she does for a living.

-Z
    was a forensic chemist...was what i did for a living. moved on to tox whe i got so bored swabbing the inside of plastic bags and looking at pot under a microscope that i started considering smoking the evidence in the supply closet...

azion is offline Time Lord

Past tense or present tense, I strongly suspect that your knowledge of chemistry, forensic or otherwise, dwarfs that of the rest of us combined.

-Z

DCnPhilly is offline Senior Member

Call the cops and file a report. They have to. The more people who file reports of illegal drug use, the more the city has to respond to it.

Tocchet is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by toxigal View Post

A cop isn't going to take it to the lab to just see what may be on the inside. It's not evidence of a crime, and their resources aren't unlimited. That being said, the OP should definitely file an online report letting the district know what he's finding - or, if you're more determined, place the packets in an envelope and take them to the district headquarters and file a report in person. You might get more attention that way. But I know that the 14th prints off the online reports and provides the info at roll call.

I've never, ever heard or read of a dealer walking around with packets of drugs literally up his arse, only to pull out a packet on the street to sell to someone. And I've seen plenty of drug cases over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by Tocchet View Post
    A cop isn't going to take it to the lab to just see what may be on the inside. It's not evidence of a crime, and their resources aren't unlimited. That being said, the OP should definitely file an online report letting the district know what he's finding - or, if you're more determined, place the packets in an envelope and take them to the district headquarters and file a report in person. You might get more attention that way. But I know that the 14th prints off the online reports and provides the info at roll call.

I've never, ever heard or read of a dealer walking around with packets of drugs literally up his arse, only to pull out a packet on the street to sell to someone. And I've seen plenty of drug cases over the years.
    well, my experience as a forensic chemist was all in florida where transporting drugs up one's butt was apparently not an uncommon occurance. i will say i never say it, only heard about it while listening to cops testify. a coworker did see it happen while out on a ride-along.

as for a cop not taking it ot th elab, eh. while working in florida i had times where such requests came my way. it was off the record, not being used for any legal purposes.

Sabiliomom is offline Junior Member

Default Ah yes

The little envelopes that look like mini ziplocs right? Our alley hosts a delightful crew that cut through on their way to deal drugs on Stenton/trade wares at the BP and/or Sunoco on the corner. They often drink out of paper bags and always throw their trash in the alley, too. It's disgusting and we are beyond sick of it. Several neighbors have called in complaints and back when roll call complaints existed we sent several. Anyone have any ideas on what to do now? Do I really have to call 911 to make a complaint? It's frustrating as heck and we certainly don't feel right sending the kids outside to play with the "traffic" up and down the alley.

For what it's worth, we're relatively certain that it is no one who actually LIVES in any of the houses bordering our alley (although one house is suspect). Several neighbors have asked the 'traffic' who they are, where they're coming from, etc. and it's all a big joke to them.

Tocchet is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sabiliomom View Post
    The little envelopes that look like mini ziplocs right? Our alley hosts a delightful crew that cut through on their way to deal drugs on Stenton/trade wares at the BP and/or Sunoco on the corner. They often drink out of paper bags and always throw their trash in the alley, too. It's disgusting and we are beyond sick of it. Several neighbors have called in complaints and back when roll call complaints existed we sent several. Anyone have any ideas on what to do now? Do I really have to call 911 to make a complaint? It's frustrating as heck and we certainly don't feel right sending the kids outside to play with the "traffic" up and down the alley.
    Philadelphia Police Department | Submit a Tip

yawns is offline Senior Member

Call the cops? Do you really think they are going to fingerprint a crack bag?