Register
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    David's Mommy is offline Junior Member

Default Big scary black bugs (water bugs?)

A few times this summer, I spotted big (like as long and thick as my thumb) black bugs in our dining room and kitchen, near the steps that lead to our basement. A co-worker told me they might be water bugs (?). Anyone familiar with these and have any clue how to get rid of them? They aren't really bothering us, it's more than they are grossing me out. We have a 3 year old child and a dog so I'd rather not have to resort to using a chemical spray. Any insight would be appreciated!

EstrellaAzul is offline Member

I haven't had many bug problems in my current house, but I've done battle with all sorts of critters in past apartments (including what you're describing--I think they were water bugs. The ones I had were enormous and used to come up out of the kitchen sink drain. Yikes! And ugh.).

I've had past exterminators try the same glue traps used for catching mice to catch the water bugs/roaches. You may want to give it a shot, although it didn't work for me... I got rid of the glue traps pretty quickly because I occasionally had mice in that building and did NOT want one caught on a glue trap--really horrible.

I can understand not wanting to use sprays, but there is one that I would recommend. It's called Orange Guard, and you can get it at Whole Foods (kinda expensive--one bottle goes for $10). The label says that it's safe for use around people, pets, and food. It has a good but strong smell, and it's never bothered my asthma. It does 2 things: if you spray a bug, it actually kills it pretty quickly. I like it even more for its repellent factor--I spray the house about every 3-4 weeks, and I don't see any creppy-crawlies!

bobside is offline Favorite Son

I think they are oriental roaches. Polar Cub will be sure to give some insight.

PhillyKev is offline Super Troll

"Water bug" is a term people use when they don't want to admit they have roaches. It's commonly used to refer to American cockroaches. They are brown, however, not black. The black ones are Oriental cockroaches.

http://www.westoakspestcontrol.com/i...ch_picture.jpg

Recommendations for Oriental Roach Control:

Caulk all penetrations through ground level walls.
    Stop water leaks, screen equipment overflow drains, and take overflow water away from buildings; keep drain traps full or capped.
    Remove rotting leaves from window wells.
    Move garbage cans out of preferred moist habitat.
    Ventilate moist spaces.

Generally speaking, control measures should concentrate on the outside of the building and points of entry. This is called a "perimeter or barrier" treatment.

How to Get Rid of Roaches -Oriental Cockroach Control

vincent59 is offline Senior Member

Default Roaches

One thing that they do not like is boric acid. I don't generally see them in my house however, I do see them outside. I buy some boric acid at Home Depot and spread it around the perimeter of the house. This seems to help keep them away. Pay particular attention to around drains.

I do like how people change the name of roaches to make it sound better. In Florida they call them palmetto bugs. You would think from that name that it looks just like a lady bug.

Arvid is offline Junior Member

Default Water bugs/Palmetto bugs

I lived in South Carolina for six years and these things were everywhere. At night when you went outside they would be swarming all over the ground--even at outside seating at restaurants.

Down there, there are so many of them that it is hard for any strategy to work to get rid of them but people who had lived there their whole lives told me that boric acid works the best.

I occasionally see them here in Ardmore around Lancaster Avenue. I've seen a couple outside of my house here but so far none inside.

Also, they love cardboard. We had a bunch of boxes stored in our shed and when I moved out there were literally hundreds of them in there so if you have a shed or outside storage don't leave any boxes out there.

Oh, also, they fly so be careful. They are really clumsy fliers and tend to bump into things.

One last thing is that unlike regular (German) cockroaches, they really aren't associated with filth--at least not in South Carolina. They mostly live in pipes and outside in damp places.

uly55es1 is offline “anobium punctatum.”

My parents had a major problem with creep crawlers. They had pets and health issues were reluctant to use sprays. This product, diatomaceous earth, did the trick safely and effectively. You can find various places on line to buy.

Diatomaceous earth - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    But if any provide not for his own, and specially for those of his own house, he hath denied the faith, and is worse than an infidel. 1 Timothy 5:8 Translations

NE19149 is offline (^!^)

Boric Acid, yes.. it works.
    So does a good perimeter dousing with Ortho Home Defense MAX.

I rarely see any bugs.

catguy is offline Banned

Quote Originally Posted by vincent59 View Post
    I do like how people change the name of roaches to make it sound better. In Florida they call them palmetto bugs. You would think from that name that it looks just like a lady bug.
    When I lived in Virginia Beach, they didn't dress them up at all, they just called them Tree Roaches. Mainly because they had a tendency to drop out of trees in large quantities when the wind blew.

roxyfoxy is offline Senior Member

Arvid, I think you are right. I've only seen these "roaches" crawl out of plumbing or damp places, so I guess they are rightly called "waterbugs". When we first moved into our new home in Roxborough in 1962, they were quite common, but we only saw them coming up out of the drain in the bathtub or the pipes in the bathroom sink. I guess they were uprooted from their homes in the ground or whatever.

David's Mommy is offline Junior Member

I'm pretty sure I would drop dead if I saw one of those bugs crawl out of my bathtub drain. Thanks to everyone for your suggestions, we will definitely try them!

Hospitalitygirl is offline Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by David's Mommy View Post
    I'm pretty sure I would drop dead if I saw one of those bugs crawl out of my bathtub drain. Thanks to everyone for your suggestions, we will definitely try them!
    And if that doesn't work--PM polar cub, he has this product that really works.
    I am not the Jackass Whisperer.

Mr Plow is offline Member

When i lived on hermatige street, we occasionally saw them in the apartment during the summer months. They were big and black, as you described. At night when we went out, you can see them crawling around in the shadows all over.

Since we lived on the second floor we were puzzled at first how they got in. What we found out was the guy next door worked at a restuarant and left his grimmy shoes outside his door. We noticed that the bugs were attracted to the shoes and crawled up the steps to get to them. and in turn came inside our house. We let the guy know and he removed the shoes from the foyer. then we put a weather strip under the door to close up any spaces. Rarely saw them after this fix.

What i would suggest, especially if you have a first floor entrance to your house, is to move any garbage cans as far away from any entrance ways as you can. Also, fill any cracks you have in sidewalks and/or walls you have around the house. they will hide in these areas during the day light hours.

Just one quick though, if you step on them make sure to clean off the sole of your shoe because it could track the eggs into your home.

Hope this helps with your issue.

Polar Cub is offline Better than a cat

You have Oriental Cockroaches. The females are black and wingless, and the males usually brownish with wings.
    Commonly known as Waterbugs or Shad Roaches up here. Down south, American Cockroaches are called waterbugs, but they're not the same water-loving Orientals we get up here. American Cockroaches are larger, winged and are great flyers. Also known as Palmetto bugs in the south. We get them up here too.

Try some granular or gel baits under and behind the fridge and stove. In the dining room, place the bait behind heavy furniture where the kids can't reach. Also apply bait in the basement if possible.
    Last edited by Polar Cub; 08-21-2009 at 11:18 PM.

Argenta is offline Senior Member

Thanks everyone my skin is crawling now.

ArcticSplash is offline Dixie Normus

This thread is racist and offensive to arachnids.

RestlessLegs is offline Member

Default Fear of Waterbugs

Quote Originally Posted by Argenta View Post
    Thanks everyone my skin is crawling now.
    Once a waterbug crawled up my leg from under my pajama bottoms. I was seven or eight years old. It was absolutely traumatizing.

I was once told that houses/neighborhoods that are situated close to creeks and/or rivers tend to have waterbugs.

Story is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by MayfairMeat View Post
    This thread is racist and offensive to arachnids.
    I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure.

Username1613 is offline Banned

Quote Originally Posted by RestlessLegs View Post
    Once a waterbug crawled up my leg from under my pajama bottoms. I was seven or eight years old. It was absolutely traumatizing.

I was once told that houses/neighborhoods that are situated close to creeks and/or rivers tend to have waterbugs.
    I would have committed suicide if that had happened to me.

On my honeymoon down South, there was a palmetto bug in the shower of the motel. I got away fast enough, and we checked out that night!

One way to avoid Oriental cockroaches is to avoid ordering Chinese take-out.

nsm
    nsm is offline Member

water bugs are very common in row homes. They crawl out of the water spickets and bathtubs. I remember them when I was a kid living in a row house. They are the ugliest, slimiest things ever. so gross.