Register
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    SpectrumSci is offline Spectrum Scientifics

MarketStEl is offline Will Work for Food, But Prefers Cash
    East Germantown rocks! But watch your back.

Wonder why? Corbett not chipping in cash? TD Bank dropped its name sponsorship? Both? Something else?

I hate news stories that don't answer all five W's. (Not sure H matters much here.)
    Sandy Smith, Wanderer in Germantown, Philadelphia
    Editor-in-Chief, Philly Living Blog - but all opinions expressed here are mine and mine alone.
    ""Jazz and blogging are both intimate, improvisational, and individual -- but also inherently collective. And the audience talks over both." --Andrew Sullivan, "Why I Blog," The Atlantic, November 2008

supersupper is offline Appetizer

Thats disappointing, But he did say they are working on finding new partners for 2014.

On the other hand..... (and maybe one insight on the race- it's being down graded by the UCI):

New US Road Event Keystone Open Aiming For UCI Status | Cyclingnews.com.

Longtime US race promoter Jerry Casale lost his battle with cancer this year, but the city of Philadelphia which benefitted so much from his work will return the favour by hosting a new event called the Keystone Open on July 7, 2013.

Robin Morton of g4 productions confirmed that the event, co-organised by Casale's cousin Ralph and local organiser Ron Ruggiero, is named after the criterium run by Jerry Casale, but will be a road race aiming for UCI status.

"We all worked with Jerry for many years and thought it was a fitting name for the event," Morton said. "We have support from the City of Philadelphia. The Mayor's Office is leading the way on sustainability nationally and Mayor Nutter and his wife both ride."

The city already supports what will next year be known as the American Cycling Classic on June 2, 2013, but was formerly the TD Bank International. That race will be downgraded from 1.HC to a 1.2 UCI ranking in 2013. The UCI 1.1-ranked Liberty Classic, which was run in conjunction with the men's race, is no longer listed on the UCI's 2013 calendar, but the Keystone Open will hold a women's race.

"Philadelphia is a big sports town supporting teams in all major leagues plus several sanctioned running events so we feel it can support more than one UCI bike race."

Morton would not reveal the details about the course, but said it would be a technical circuit "with three nice climbs".
    SooooooooooooooooPER ........................ SL O WD O WN

The Count is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by SpectrumSci View Post
    That's awfully disappointing on a number of levels.

Surprises me that the City does not get more involved in helping to identify and broker financial support for some of these hallmark Philly events when needed.

The Rox is offline Realtor & Consultant

That's definitely a disappointment.
    Timothy M. Garrity | REALTOR®, ABR®, e-PRO®, SRS®
    U S Spaces - Philly Urban Living | tgarrity@phillyurbanliving.com - PhillyUrbanLiving.com
    Specializing in NW Philadelphia Real Estate - Roxborough | Manayunk | East Falls | Chestnut Hill | Mount Airy

Jayfar is offline Junior Old Fart

Quote Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
    Wonder why? Corbett not chipping in cash? TD Bank dropped its name sponsorship? Both? Something else?

I hate news stories that don't answer all five W's. (Not sure H matters much here.)
    I'll just copy my speculation from the other thread. The why will come out sooner or later, I'm sure. My best guess is lack of sponsors and I have to wonder whether the Lance Armstrong mess is a factor in that it makes sponsorships less attractive for the sport generally.
    “Guys like you I would dispatch with my roofing axe.” -- BootsywannabeACretin

Debbie1125 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Rox View Post
    That's definitely a disappointment.
    I am also disappointed with this decision. I went last year and the year before. It was fun.

But I'm sure this will make the bunch of fuddy duddys who hated the race stand up and cheer.

Hopefully the bike race will return in 2014.

MarketStEl is offline Will Work for Food, But Prefers Cash
    East Germantown rocks! But watch your back.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayfar View Post
    I'll just copy my speculation from the other thread. The why will come out sooner or later, I'm sure. My best guess is lack of sponsors and I have to wonder whether the Lance Armstrong mess is a factor in that it makes sponsorships less attractive for the sport generally.
    The Cycling News item supersupper posted upthread lends a lot of credence to your guess.

Note that it was posted back in October of last year - and that it identifies the now-canceled race as "the American Cycling Classic [,...which] was formerly known as the TD Bank International."

IOW, the name sponsor had already dropped its commitment last fall. More than likely, the organizers have spent the period from then until Sunday's announcement beating the bushes for a replacement - and Armstrong's confession most likely convinced them that obtaining one in time to make this year's race possible was impossible.

Now, can someone explain to me the UCI's ranking system? It sounds like one of those classification systems for data transfer or software versions.
    Sandy Smith, Wanderer in Germantown, Philadelphia
    Editor-in-Chief, Philly Living Blog - but all opinions expressed here are mine and mine alone.
    ""Jazz and blogging are both intimate, improvisational, and individual -- but also inherently collective. And the audience talks over both." --Andrew Sullivan, "Why I Blog," The Atlantic, November 2008

raider.adam is offline Senior Member

not sure of the guess work. Opening part fo the article:

“We are disappointed that we must remove the race from the calendar in 2013, but we feel that we will be able to reorganize with new partners and make this the preeminent event the region deserves in 2014 and beyond,” said David Chauner, a former Olympic cyclist and one of the creators of the event.
    Pretty much seems like that is saying sponsors [partners] are the issue.

Hospitalitygirl is offline Moderator

I seem to recall that the race has been having inadequate sponsorship the past couple of race seasons. It was almost canceled once before.
    Competition is indispensable to progress. John Stuart Mills.

Gladys is offline Senior Member

6ABC says there will be a mtg next wk with all the parties to try and salvage it.
    "If you're going to tell people the truth, you better make them laugh; otherwise they'll kill you."
    - attributed to both George Bernard Shaw & Oscar Wilde

"I never clean up after my dogs, because I have trained them to run with me off leash while I ride my bike the wrong way on the sidewalk."
    - LUCas
    Originally Posted by Dave L We need to focus on banning both singers who crap on the sidewalk and dogs that annoy people with their singing. - Mondo

supersupper is offline Appetizer

I've been under the impression a major driving factor for the race's difficulty was cost, exasperated by the requirement that events pay their own way and not expect the city to subsidize them for city services as they have in the past.

There may very well be dissapointment in cycling events as the whole armstrong affair has exposed drugging as free-flowing throughout the whole sport, but I'd like to think there is hope for a clean future.

Maybe a one/two year hiatus wouldn't be so bad if it impresses upon the sport that winning at all costs could ruin it for everyone.
    SooooooooooooooooPER ........................ SL O WD O WN

Jayfar is offline Junior Old Fart

So I see the race is actually organized to turn a profit, but took a loss last year partly because they had to pay for city services. I guess that means that in previous years before 2009 the city was actually subsidizing the race, something that's an obvious non-starter these days. Maybe one of the tourism agencies could step up to the plate to cover the city costs; that would still involve taxpayer funds, but from tourist taxpayers (hotel tax) rather than residents. Of course they'd still need a commercial sponsor.

Leaders scramble to save Philadelphia's pro bicycle race
    “Guys like you I would dispatch with my roofing axe.” -- BootsywannabeACretin

Eastcoast is offline Senior Member

Y'all want me to swing over to Dripping Springs and see if I can get Lance to back the race this year?

Naveen is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jayfar View Post
    So I see the race is actually organized to turn a profit, but took a loss last year partly because they had to pay for city services. I guess that means that in previous years before 2009 the city was actually subsidizing the race, something that's an obvious non-starter these days.
    Well if it's a for-profit venture, the city shouldn't be picking up the tab for extra services incurred because of the race. Considering how many cops they need on Main St. alone I do wonder how much the city was ponying up before 2009.

As to the sponsors, I'm surprised there aren't enough locally-based big businesses who might get together to bring it back. It might be more viable that way long-term rather than relying on a sponsor with no deep connection to the area (other than cycling sponsors).

Gladys is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Eastcoast View Post
    Y'all want me to swing over to Dripping Springs and see if I can get Lance to back the race this year?
    Would certainly draw a crowd.
    "If you're going to tell people the truth, you better make them laugh; otherwise they'll kill you."
    - attributed to both George Bernard Shaw & Oscar Wilde

"I never clean up after my dogs, because I have trained them to run with me off leash while I ride my bike the wrong way on the sidewalk."
    - LUCas
    Originally Posted by Dave L We need to focus on banning both singers who crap on the sidewalk and dogs that annoy people with their singing. - Mondo

Eastcoast is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gladys View Post
    Philadelphia the city of second chances.

Vick

Armstong

Romney for Mayor?

PhillyTex is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
    Now, can someone explain to me the UCI's ranking system? It sounds like one of those classification systems for data transfer or software versions.
    The first character (1 or 2) tells you whether it's a single-day race (1) or multi-day race (2). The second character tells you the degree of difficulty. HC ("hors categorie" or "beyond categorization" in French) is the highest, 1 is in the middle, and 2 is the lowest.

Basically, winning a harder/longer race (with a higher UCI ranking) means you bank more points toward your UCI season total. The ranking also determines who is allowed to compete. Higher ranked races only allow the top teams in (plus a "wildcard" local team or two) while lower ranked races are less selective.

The Philadelphia International Cycling Championship used to be ranked among the hardest single-day races (1.HC), which is why top teams like Highroad/Columbia/HTC would make it a priority to show up and compete for the points. When they shortened the race last year to save money, it was downgraded slightly, to a 1.1 I believe.

HLS
    HLS is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Eastcoast
    Quote Originally Posted by Gladys
    Eh, why not - consider the SNL All Drug Olympics
    so, this could be the first "all drugs bike race"?

One a more realistic note, it seems that the race day crowds don't actually help the Main Street retailers all that much,
    sorta like the mummers day parade, where a narrow area is packed with spectators, but there's not much retail tie in.

I'd float two suggestions

First, as the main parking lot on Venice Island is torn up for a stormwater-project, can we get event parking at the old parking lot on the Arroyo Grill/ Carmella's?
    That would take hundreds of cars off the local streets.

Second, since Main Street is quite narrow, there isn't enough space for Main Street businesses to really benefit from the crowds.
    Can they establish a food court / vendor area on that huge open area

on Venice Island between Cotton Street and Leverington?
    The one that was/is slated for an open area art gallery?

the mule is offline Tumescent Member

If only we could re-program the liquor sales taxes for that weekend to pay for city services. It should easily cover it.