Register
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    friendlynerd is offline Senior Member

Default For those of you with Fios on your block

...could you tell me the deals being offered? It's not on my block yet, since I haven't gotten a visit from a rep or a hang tag on my door, but I'd like to know the packages and prices as a negotiation tool with Comcast. Any help is appreciated!

taxgirl is offline Senior Member

We pay about $110 for internet, TV and phone.

That said, DON'T DO IT! We ran screaming from Comcast to FiOS thinking it couldn't be worse and oh, it is. It's a thousand times worse. Internet is spotty and service is terrible. We had install on 10/22 and already, our battery is dead in our box (we were told it's our responsibility to change it). We haven't had consistent internet for a week yet... And when I called for service, I was on hold for an hour and twenty minutes before just giving up (not kidding, tweeted the whole thing). Verizon is still a disaster. Called Comcast yesterday to switch back.
    taxgirl
    Visit my taxgirl blog for Forbes.
    Because paying taxes is painful... but reading about them shouldn't be.

friendlynerd is offline Senior Member

Oh, yikes. Thanks for sharing your experience, I appreciate it!

Belmo is offline Member

The way the Fios salesmen work, or at least the way they worked with me, was to ask me what services we have, and then to check the appropriate boxes on a pink order sheet -- it looked to me like a Chinese takeout menu, but instead of Moo Goo Gai Pan and General Tso's chicken, it shows phone service, internet speed, and HBO and Showtime. After checking off your level of internet, phone, and TV service, the guy writes a number on the form, which is supposed to be your "written offer." I almost laughed in the guy's face when, after I told him that I needed to see an offer in writing, he replied that this was a binding, written offer. Like Verizon is going to revise their monthly bill when I show them the handwritten scribbling of some independent contractor.

Fios was installed on my street (between Ridge and Henry, near Cook-Wissahickon) about 4 months ago. The cheesy salesman who came to my door offering me all the bells and whistles (high-speed internet, phone with unlimited long distance, HD, all the premium cable channels, etc.) for $150 a month. I called Comcast, and though they couldn't match that, they came close: they gave me something like $155 a month. By the time taxes and fees are added, it's more like $180 a month, but that's still way less than I was spending with Comcast before - the bill had been something like $240 before they cut my rates.

When you call the Comcast customer support line (800-XFINITY), you need to hit the buttons that say you want to cancel service. You need to pick the cancel option -- anything else, like help with your bill, will get you to some schmoe who has no authority to do anything to your monthly bill. Only when you hit "cancel service" do you automatically go to a rep with any kind of authority.

Once you get the rep on the phone -- and when you tell them you're cancelling service, it shouldn't take long -- say that your bill is too high, that you have an offer from Fios. Say that you got a great offer, in writing, and you're going to have to switch because of the savings. The Comcast rep should offer you the lowest deal that is available to them, and this will save you lots of money. You won't need to sign anything, and the lower rates will be effective immediately.

Comcast will lower your price in response to competition, but you have to know how to ask. Call them and tell them that you're cancelling service, and you should be able to knock your bill down by quite a few dollars.

Belmo is offline Member

Two things I would add to this:
    1. You can get an idea of what prices Verizon is offering for Fios on the Verizon website. Pick an address at random -- the streets between Ridge and Henry, and between Hermit Street and Roxborough Avenue have all been wired recently -- and it will give you current introductory Fios pricing. You'll need reasonably accurate rate information if you're going to squeeze Comcast most efficiently.
    2. The Comcast rep will probably assume that your house has been wired for Fios. I don't know that I would do anything to disabuse him/her of this notion.

This process may seem complicated, but it was actually pretty easy for me. I was on the phone with Comcast for less than 10 minutes, and it saved me over $50 a month. Good luck!

Debbie1125 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by taxgirl View Post
    We pay about $110 for internet, TV and phone.

That said, DON'T DO IT! We ran screaming from Comcast to FiOS thinking it couldn't be worse and oh, it is. It's a thousand times worse. Internet is spotty and service is terrible. We had install on 10/22 and already, our battery is dead in our box (we were told it's our responsibility to change it). We haven't had consistent internet for a week yet... And when I called for service, I was on hold for an hour and twenty minutes before just giving up (not kidding, tweeted the whole thing). Verizon is still a disaster. Called Comcast yesterday to switch back.
    I agree with you and I only have Verizon as my internet provider. Their tech support is THE WORST! I had a problem 2 months ago and was without service for 1 1/2 weeks. One of the service centers (or so they said) was damaged from the nor'easter that came after Sandy.

I have to call customer service more times than I can count. FINALLY, my service was restored. However, dealing with Verizon is like getting hit repeatedly with a bag of oranges. And last but not least you cannot understand what their customer service reps are saying.

I recently had cable installed and so far I am satisfied with Comcast and their service. In fact I might switch over to their double or triple deal soon, as I sometimes still have problems with my internet connection on the weekend.

phillyjd4 is offline Member

Default Pleased with fios

I am surprised to see all the negative comments about Verizon customer service and the FiOs experience. My neighborhood in Germantown went online last September. I forget what the deals were at the time but it was certainly less than what I was paying for Comcast. There was a great deal that I believe expired last week. 79.99 for a triple Play and if you got a two year contract then they threw in a $300 visa card. We got an installation date the day after we signed up, and we noticed an immediate improvement in HD picture quality and the Internet is much faster.

redpinstripes is offline Senior Member

Two questions about fios: 1) do you get the Phillies games? 2) do you need different wiring than cable?

Thanks.

phillyjd4 is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by redpinstripes View Post
    Two questions about fios: 1) do you get the Phillies games? 2) do you need different wiring than cable?

Thanks.
    1) I don't know, but I asked and was told that I would.

2) yes, but not completely different. They run a fiberoptic line from the street into your house and install a small panel that was described to me as "the brain." Then they run a wire from that to where all your coaxial connections. This was all done in my basement in an hour or so and did not require any other different wiring in the basement.

Naveen is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by phillyjd4 View Post
    I am surprised to see all the negative comments about Verizon customer service and the FiOs experience....We got an installation date the day after we signed up, and we noticed an immediate improvement in HD picture quality and the Internet is much faster.
    This has been my experience so far, but only 1.5 months in (in East Falls). Internet is blazing fast and consistent, HD quality noticeably better. I will also say the remote control, and onDemand/DVR interface are much better than Comcast as well.

The only downside thus far has been that just one cable jack in the house is now operating for internet. Since the entire house was already wired for cable, I could plug a modem into any cable outlet and get internet hard-wired. Now I only have one modem, so I have to wireless -- mostly not a problem, but my Roku box is finicky with it's wireless connection, and the hard-wired connection was much more reliable.

PASnow is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by redpinstripes View Post

Thanks.
    Yes, you do get Phillies games & Comcast SportsNet. The loophole only affects satellite providers & I believe is only the Philly market. Most/All other cities do get their CSN & similar channels via DirectTV. (Has to do with if a channel is beamed to satellite it MUST be offered to all other providers or something. But CSN Philly is entirely land based & cable based, so in theory Comcast would have to "go out of their way" to offer it to satellite providers. I think it was overturned a year or two ago in the FCC but is held up in appeals.) I think a law was eventually passed undoing it but Philly was grandfathered out of it (ie lobbyists paid off politicians)

nmfong is offline Junior Member

Like Naveen, I'm an early adopter in East Falls. Installation was easy (signed up on the first day, so maybe they hadn't gotten busy yet) and accommodating (as far as routing cables and not drilling unnecessary holes). So far, the service itself has been great: cheap and fast. I think it's the best option for internet only users.

On the other hand, Verizon sales and customer service have been a bit of a hassle. We got a deal for upgrading from Verizon DSL, so you might be able to get a first year discount if you have been tolerating their pitiful DSL service (supposedly because the phone lines are really old) - but this took some phone time. Also, the door-to-door contractors and the direct mail don't stop, which gets annoying - it has slowed down, but I assume people who haven't signed up are still getting inundated.

drewrob23 is offline Senior Member

It seems like rolling the dice when it comes to a deal package with Comcast or Verizon. Either way you'll see a more attractive bargain after you sign up. No customer service is without any issues, but Verizon is a special breed. My problem isn't the actual reps. It's getting someone on the phone. Most companies I call will give me an estimate of how long I'll be holding. Verizon just tells you to keep holding because of high call volume. They should work on that.

alex is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by nmfong View Post
    Like Naveen, I'm an early adopter in East Falls. Installation was easy (signed up on the first day, so maybe they hadn't gotten busy yet) and accommodating (as far as routing cables and not drilling unnecessary holes). So far, the service itself has been great: cheap and fast. I think it's the best option for internet only users.
    I have gotten fios pricing from 2 or 3 reps and the quotes were a lot higher than what I pay for Comcast Internet-only. Comcast also has Xfinity wi-fi hotspots all over the place and as a subscriber, I can use them everywhere. There's one that gives me a great signal inside of my house.

jennyfur is offline Junior Member

I recently got the notice that FiOS was available at my location. Most of my friends in the burbs have had their service for years and love it. My experience with Comcast for cable TV has been terrible. I got so fed up with them at one point that I canceled for a few years, then came back to them a few years later thinking maybe they'd have improved. Of course I was wrong. So I figure FiOS can't be any worse. And at least I'll get more channels I want. Due to Comcast's last screw up, I have a service I can't cancel until the end of March so I'll have to wait until then to switch.

Question regarding phone service, if you have FiOS do you have to switch to using digital voice or can you continue to use your old analog service? The cost for digital is way more expensive than the bare bones phone service I need (I don't make calls, just have it for the dial tone).

AsYouWere is offline Banned

Quote Originally Posted by drewrob23 View Post
    It seems like rolling the dice when it comes to a deal package with Comcast or Verizon. Either way you'll see a more attractive bargain after you sign up. No customer service is without any issues, but Verizon is a special breed. My problem isn't the actual reps. It's getting someone on the phone. Most companies I call will give me an estimate of how long I'll be holding. Verizon just tells you to keep holding because of high call volume. They should work on that.
    The trick with Verizon to get the best deal is to set it up ONLINE. This is also good because you can save the page/deal to your computer for the possible day when you get challenged as to what you locked into. I made the mistake of calling them also and it was about 30% more than expected when the bill came in, but since we're not locked into a contract it's no biggie.

I just need to cancel for a month or so which won't be too inconvenient since I see a few unsecured connections available in my hood and a handful of WEP's I could hack if it came to that, then re-establish online when the deal is right.

AsYouWere is offline Banned

Quote Originally Posted by jennyfur View Post

Question regarding phone service, if you have FiOS do you have to switch to using digital voice or can you continue to use your old analog service? The cost for digital is way more expensive than the bare bones phone service I need (I don't make calls, just have it for the dial tone).
    I just unplugged the main ONT unit and still had a dial tone. Just found Verizon has it's own forum > Analog vs Digital Phone - still confused - Verizon Community

Longboat is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by AsYouWere View Post
    The trick with Verizon to get the best deal is to set it up ONLINE. This is also good because you can save the page/deal to your computer for the possible day when you get challenged as to what you locked into. I made the mistake of calling them also and it was about 30% more than expected when the bill came in, but since we're not locked into a contract it's no biggie.
    That's good advice. I did the same about a year ago when switching from Comcast to Verizon for Internet and TV. I had no particular problem with Comcast except for their constant rate creeps. I locked in for two years with Verizon's FiOS, so no rate creeping from them for at least another year. The Verizon package of Internet-TV-Phone is a bit less than what I was paying Comcast for just TV and Internet and I'm saving about $50 a month from what I had been paying for all three (with phone service from Verizon).

Haven't had any tech issues with Verizon except that the FiOS router needs a restart every once in a while to get the Internet connection back up to snuff, but the same was true of Comcast.

Overall, they seem pretty much comparable to me and it just comes down to price for the features you want. For that, you gotta do your homework and online is the place to do it.

jennyfur is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by AsYouWere View Post
    I just unplugged the main ONT unit and still had a dial tone. Just found Verizon has it's own forum > Analog vs Digital Phone - still confused - Verizon Community
    Thanks! That cleared things up a bit.

Sailaway is offline Giggity Giggity Goo!

I have FiOS and it rocks. I won't even consider switching back to Comcast even if they offer a better price. The product (cable + internet) is top-notch. I have the second-tier TV package and it's only about $6 more a month than the basic package. I have Vonage for phone so I can't comment on that. I've only had to use customer service a few times and, while the wait is longer than with Comcast, I don't need it as OFTEN as I did with Comcast. My only gripe is the TV Guide is often slow to call up, navigate, etc. However, I don't recall Xfinity's being exactly a gem either so it's a wash as far as I'm concerned.
    If you believe people should work till they die to pay for a government worker to retire at 50, you're a Democrat. Otherwise, you're a Republican. All other differences between the parties are trivial.