Register
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Gnats!

roxyfoxy is offline Senior Member

Default Gnats!

Has anybody else been plagued by gnats in their house in the past few days? We don't know where they are coming from or what's drawing them, but they just showed up a couple of days ago and are bugging the hell out of us, and they are so hard to catch and kill; does anybody have any suggestions or solutions? Thanks! BTW, we are in the Domino Lane/Valley Avenue area.
    She understood history, memory, record.
    And I will not forget her, a common housewife, who rose above her nature.

friendlynerd is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by roxyfoxy View Post
    Has anybody else been plagued by gnats in their house in the past few days? We don't know where they are coming from or what's drawing them, but they just showed up a couple of days ago and are bugging the hell out of us, and they are so hard to catch and kill; does anybody have any suggestions or solutions? Thanks! BTW, we are in the Domino Lane/Valley Avenue area.
    YES! I have searched this house top to bottom and I cannot find why I have a constant supply of tiny flies. Maybe it's just coincidental, but this is definitely happening to me right now. We've had success with killing them by leaving out a glass with a little wine in it - they end up drowning themselves. But there's still always a couple left.

pechinbar is offline Senior Member

My guess is what you both have are fruit flies. If you have fruit or vegetables out, or a compost container, or in your trash, you're prime for having them this time of year. You can buy fruit fly traps - but I've had success with just taking a small glass of red wine (they don't seem attracted to white), or red wine vinegar or cider vinegar, and put a piece of plastic wrap over the top of the glass, and then put a hole in the plastic (I stick my thumb in it). That way the flies get in and but they can't get out, and eventually find death in the tasty drink.

supersupper is offline Appetizer

I have to bike through gabillions of these little buggers that swarm in bunches along west river drive in the evening, usually closer to Falls bridge..... its hard to see them and I have to hold my breath when I go thru them.... echblcck...

I'm not sure why they swarm in certain patches (it seems to be the same general locations).
    SooooooooooooooooPER ........................ SL O WD O WN

roxyfoxy is offline Senior Member

Thanks so much for your replies and suggestions! We think now that maybe they ARE fruit flies (hubby said gnats, I didn't know exactly what they are). We think we have found the source and have tried to take care of the problem, and so far today, no bugs! We will try the wine/vinegar solution, though, for any that may be lingering.
    supersupper, I know what you are talking about. They do swarm by the hundreds and make moving around in those areas difficult; even walking around the block sometimes, they are unbearable. They are hard to see, hence their nickname "no see 'ums". lol
    She understood history, memory, record.
    And I will not forget her, a common housewife, who rose above her nature.

supersupper is offline Appetizer

Quote Originally Posted by friendlynerd View Post
    We've had success with killing them by leaving out a glass with a little wine in it - they end up drowning themselves. But there's still always a couple left.
    Morimoto might be interested in this as a followup recipe idea to the original.

Quote Originally Posted by roxyfoxy View Post
    They are hard to see, hence their nickname "no see 'ums". lol
    and a recipe idea Steakums might be interested in.

yummmmmmmm
    SooooooooooooooooPER ........................ SL O WD O WN

Naveen is offline Senior Member

Yeah, the red wine does the trick. So does red vinegar. They are very attracted to any kind of fruit really, so any kind of juice works well too. Also, if you mix a little dishwashing liquid into the wine or juice, they flies have a harder time getting out.

I've found trash that sits for too long, even in an enclosed trash can, really draws/breeds these fruit flies.