Register
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
    billy ross is online now Senior Member

Default Yet another senseless death on Henry Avenue

6000 block this time. He was in such a rush to get where he was going that he never got there, instead taking a detour to the coroner. It seems that he ruined other peoples' days as well. When will we reconfigure that road to convince people it's not a speedway? I recommend making it one travel lane in each direction from School House Lane to Queen Lane, with turning / parking lanes, of course. It's only a half mile, but it should set a tone. Right now far too many people think it's a great substitute for the Schuylkill Expressway, and they pay a terrible price over and over and over and over again. I'm numb to it at this point, but it's just such a waste.

http://www.newsworks.org/index.php/local/item/33975

http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/story?se...cal&id=8542513

One friend of mine lost his sister. Another friend of mine lost his nephew. A third friend was traumatized when people were pounding on the inside of a car trying to get out and screaming when it burst into flames and they were immolated right in front of him. This is all on Henry Avenue, over the course of my life. Other friends had to pull bodies out of the trees in front of their house on School House Lane below Henry. The scars are still visible. At some point we'd be wise as a society to end the insanity.
    Last edited by billy ross; 02-14-2012 at 12:39 PM.

alex is offline Senior Member

What's the posted speed limit? It must be a lot slower than the speed at which people drive that road, but I've never seen a cop out there enforcing it.

PhilaCap is offline Senior Member

The older I get, the more terrifying driving becomes.

Reberson is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by alex View Post
    What's the posted speed limit? It must be a lot slower than the speed at which people drive that road, but I've never seen a cop out there enforcing it.
    I think it's 35. It is rare that people do under 50 and I routinely get passed by people who seem to be doing at least 60-65. It is insane. I avoid it if I can and almost always take the Ridge in around and through Roxborough.

Naveen is offline Senior Member

There was some talk about trying to slow down traffic on Henry at the EFCC last night. But to get a full handle on it, Roxborough needs to get involved too.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilaCap View Post
    The older I get, the more terrifying driving becomes.
    The person driving was 22. Now, anyone can drive bad, but as I get older one thing I notice is how bad college-age drivers tend to be. Maybe even worse than high school. At least in HS there's some still some trepidation. 22 is a peak age for cocky driving. Bad for them, and bad for us.

Quote Originally Posted by Naveen View Post
    The person driving was 22. Now, anyone can drive bad, but as I get older one thing I notice is how bad college-age drivers tend to be. Maybe even worse than high school. At least in HS there's some still some trepidation. 22 is a peak age for cocky driving. Bad for them, and bad for us.
    That's why we send young men to war - they think they're invincible. As you get older and you realize how close you took it and got lucky you don't press your luck so much.

enyo is online now Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by billy ross View Post
    6000 block this time. He was in such a rush to get where he was going that he never got there, instead taking a detour to the coroner. It seems that he ruined other peoples' days as well. When will we reconfigure that road to convince people it's not a speedway? I recommend making it one travel lane in each direction from School House Lane to Queen Lane, with turning / parking lanes, of course. It's only a half mile, but it should set a tone. Right now far too many people think it's a great substitute for the Schuylkill Expressway, and they pay a terrible price over and over and over and over again. I'm numb to it at this point, but it's just such a waste.

Roxborough car crash victim identified as Christian Sheridan of Conshohocken

22-year-old killed in Roxborough crash | 6abc.com

One friend of mine lost his sister. Another friend of mine lost his nephew. A third friend was traumatized when people were pounding on the inside of a car trying to get out and screaming when it burst into flames and they were immolated right in front of him. This is all on Henry Avenue, over the course of my life. Other friends had to pull bodies out of the trees in front of their house on School House Lane below Henry. The scars are still visible. At some point we'd be wise as a society to end the insanity.
    Do most of the fatal accidents involve head on collisions on this stretch? That's what scares me with roads like this. I remember reading somewhere that all it takes for a fatal head on collision is two cars going 30 mph. At the same time, medians give the road a speedway feel.

A month or so ago, some car was flying down the left turn lane of Ridge between Butler and Chemical roads. I don't know if he was trying to pass people or what, but he must have been going 60 mph before he saw a car trying to make a left turn, at which point he slammed the breaks on, realized he wasn't going to stop in time, then made a sharp left into oncoming traffic and got T-boned.

Too many people drive too aggressive.
    "Believing is seeing" - paraphrased from PH

Bob_Head is offline Immoderat0r

When will we reconfigure that road to convince people it's not a speedway? I recommend making it one travel lane in each direction from School House Lane to Queen Lane, with turning / parking lanes, of course. It's only a half mile, but it should set a tone. Right now far too many people think it's a great substitute for the Schuylkill Expressway, and they pay a terrible price over and over and over and over again. I'm numb to it at this point, but it's just such a waste.
    Henry would benefit from traffic quieting, as would Kelly and MLK drives. I was sad to see the the Lincoln state and the circle removed from Kelly. Anything that acts as a disincentive for people using those roads as high speed alternatives to the expressway would be welcome.
    Jesus died for somebody's sins, but not mine.

On Washington Avenue, the lights are timed to slow down traffic. That's all it would take on Henry it seems. But since Washington is part of the dense grid and Henry isn't, they get treated different.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob_Head View Post
    Henry would benefit from traffic quieting, as would Kelly and MLK drives. I was sad to see the the Lincoln state and the circle removed from Kelly. Anything that acts as a disincentive for people using those roads as high speed alternatives to the expressway would be welcome.
    I also feel strongly that a light should be added allowing left turns in both directions at Warden and Henry to take pressure off of the turn and congestion at School House Lane. That combined with a four way stop at Warden and Vaux will go a long way toward calming that stretch of Henry Avenue. Adding that light at 4800 Ridge at the bait shop seems to have slowed things down versus having the overpass there before. It's a much more pleasant stretch versus the speedway it was before.

Quote Originally Posted by Naveen View Post
    On Washington Avenue, the lights are timed to slow down traffic. That's all it would take on Henry it seems. But since Washington is part of the dense grid and Henry isn't, they get treated different.
    The lights on Henry are timed to cruise along at 30-35 mph. Instead people insist on screaming from red light to red light. That's why I like one lane in each direction except at the lights - all it takes is one sane person and everyone catches every light green.
    Last edited by billy ross; 02-14-2012 at 02:06 PM.

The lights on Henry are timed to cruise along at 30-35 mph.
    Yeah, but that's assuming people aren't in a hurry / maniacs. Speaking for myself, I often find myself driving faster than I should when I'm late or generally busy. Washington Avenue infuriates me at those times b/c it forces me to drive slower, which is a good thing.

That's why I like one lane in each direction except at the lights - all it takes is one sane person to catch every light green.
    I wonder if it would work to take create a bike lane next to the sidewalk, with curb barrier to the left of the lane, reducing Henry to just one lane both ways with street parking to the left of the barrier. I know it will probably never happen but it might be nice.

Belmo is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by alex View Post
    It's 35 all the way into Montgomery County, but if you want to make a lot of enemies, try doing the speed limit and seeing what happens to you. The minimum speed is about 45, the average seems to be 55, and it's not rare at all to see people doing 70. All on a street where there are many businesses, and many pedestrian crosswalks. The police obviously don't really care, because I don't think I've ever seen anyone get a ticket on Henry Ave.

MrsWeisass is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Belmo View Post
    The police obviously don't really care, because I don't think I've ever seen anyone get a ticket on Henry Ave.
    The thing that really gets me about all this is that practically every time I am on Henry, there is a cop parked by the reservoir, chillin'.

Wizard1943 is offline Master Blaster

Once again the blame goes to everything and everyone, (the road, the cops, the lights), but the individual. Speeding, texting, talking on cell phones, and just not paying attention kills!!!!

MrsWeisass is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wizard1943 View Post
    Once again the blame goes to everything and everyone, (the road, the cops, the lights), but the individual. Speeding, texting, talking on cell phones, and just not paying attention kills!!!!
    i don't know what you are talking about. Just because it's a senseless death doesn't mean folks are calling the victim innocent. I see a recognition here that speeding drivers are indeed a big part of the problem, as well as a desire to see more oversight given the fact that all 22 year old drivers aren't simultaneously going to stop driving like idiots just because one of them eats it.

Quote Originally Posted by MrsWeisass View Post
    i don't know what you are talking about. Just because it's a senseless death doesn't mean folks are calling the victim innocent. I see a recognition here that speeding drivers are indeed a big part of the problem, as well as a desire to see more oversight given the fact that all 22 year old drivers aren't simultaneously going to stop driving like idiots just because one of them eats it.
    Darwinism is overly harsh - that road begs for people to speed on it, and they do, so much so that it causes all kinds of problems. The road really does need to be redesigned - all of the cues say "Speed up", even though the road and the drivers can't handle the speed. Enforcement would help, but changing the feel of the road is the real solution. Either one would keep people out of body bags and reduce insurance rates.

O.H. Lee is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Belmo View Post
    ............ The police obviously don't really care, because I don't think I've ever seen anyone get a ticket on Henry Ave.
    The police care, but it is almost impossible for the average district cop to write a speeding ticket.

Other enforcement is possible, but probably limited by manpower.

The rush hour crawls help during those times.
    "We do sincerely hope you all enjoy the show, and please remember people, that no matter who you are and what you do to live, thrive and survive, there are still some things that make us all the same. You, me, them, everybody, everybody!"

the mule is offline Tumescent Member

Quote Originally Posted by O.H. Lee View Post
    The police care, but it is almost impossible for the average district cop to write a speeding ticket.

Other enforcement is possible, but probably limited by manpower.

The rush hour crawls help during those times.
    Enforcing the speed limit really is not as difficult as redesigning the whole road. It would be some added revenue to boot. There are plenty of municipalities that strictly enforce speed limits on major roads and keep speeding generally under control. Try E. Germantown Pike in Whitemarsh or Laurel Drive in Somers Point headed to Ocean City. On the latter people come off the GSP going 80 and don't dare drive faster than 25 immediately after the toll because a ticket is guaranteed if they do.

It would be ludicrous to reduce Henry to one lane. It would get so backed up that traffic will spill over to roads even less equipped for the traffic.