Register
+ Reply to Thread
    mixiboi is offline Philly Remixed

Default This Story Asks More Question then Answer them....

But I am sure that won't stay like that...

School Chef’s Salary Comes Under Fire « CBS Philly

The founder of the LEAP Charter School in Camden is denying any impropriety, after her boyfriend, who also works for the school, got a hefty raise as part of a new food services contract.

The Academy’s website says they put a lot of emphasis on its food service program and chef Michele Pastorello not only prepares meals, but teaches healthy eating.
    At $95,000 dollars, his salary is well above what entire school districts pay for the job.

The reason for his big raise is hard to clarify.

LEAP’s founder and board chair Gloria Santiago says her relationship with Pastorello is well-known and for that reason she declined to vote on the food service contract that set his salary.

She directed questions to the contractor, Metz Culinary Management. But Metz says, in a statement, the salary was a condition in the Request for a bid Proposal.
    Graphic Designer, Social Media Consultant. Twitter: @Sdlaugh

lucidinnature is offline Banned

I'm sure it will stay like that. They don't have to adhere to the same scrutiny as a public school.

I find it hilarious that they even call his position a 'chef' position. He doesn't cook, and doesn't even plan the menu. It's more of an administrative position that certainly doesn't merit $95k a year. It would be interesting to see what her salary is this year.
    Quote Originally Posted by mixiboi View Post

xanthus is offline Senior Member

Charter schools probably will shake out as big ripoffs. We've seen some already that were used as cash cows for their managers. Still, some charters are offering good educations, but they were likely to do that because sending a kid to a charter school indicates a positive level of parental involvement.

Schools whose pupils have interested and active parents are schools that will perform better than the school district schools that don't buck the trend because they have selected student enrollments, active PTOs or both. Similarly, because parents who send their kids to Catholic schools are willing to pay high tuition, they're demonstrating more interest in their little darlings' schooling.

Parents always have been the causes of problems or the preventers of problems.

Bixbyte is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by mixiboi View Post

The Governor Corbutt and his swine Republican Senator Pat Toomey want to change all Philadelphia schools to Charter schools.
    We will have an army of $95,000 chefs at Philadelphia Charter schools.
    The great Republican swindle.
    I am a pissed off Old Dinosaur.

mixiboi is offline Philly Remixed

Quote Originally Posted by Bixbyte View Post
    The Governor Corbutt and his swine Republican Senator Pat Toomey want to change all Philadelphia schools to Charter schools.
    We will have an army of $95,000 chefs at Philadelphia Charter schools.
    The great Republican swindle.
    I doubt that, but I am sure someone will be overpaid and such.

Which is what I DON'T get..if your going to have a job, I wouldn't make it seem so outrageous by getting paid an weird amount of money.

But I guess all those mortgages and student loans don't pay themselves back....
    Graphic Designer, Social Media Consultant. Twitter: @Sdlaugh

Gone is offline Banned

Nobody deserves to make a living. What should this chef make? The same as a bean slinger at Starbucks.