Register
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    raider.adam is offline Senior Member

Default City will start mailing AVI assessments to residents on Feb. 15 Read more: http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/cityhall/City-will-start-mail

City will start mailing AVI assessments to residents on Feb. 15

So we will get a better idea in 3 weeks.

funk is offline Senior Member

Yet our city "leaders" have not addressed the $400m in outstanding property taxes. What a bunch of useless overpaid, over rested, ignorant puppets. I wish we had other feasible options to vote for that had a shot of winning.
    Last edited by funk; 01-23-2013 at 07:03 AM.

bootsywannabe is offline Banned

that's one heck of a valentine's day gift basically.

nice, with no change in the tax rate on the books, we will be getting assessed at "maximum value possibly as determined by a city wonk".

9% tax rate on the books and "full value reassessment". it's the 60s and 70s all over again - chase everybody out and take their property.

EJW
    EJW is offline Senior Member

I've seen some speculation that the city will probably make the assessments lower than actual value in order to avoid a deluge of appeals, but I think that is being a little to optimistic and also assuming that the city actually knows what the heck they are doing here.

Quote Originally Posted by bootsywannabe View Post
    that's one heck of a valentine's day gift basically.

nice, with no change in the tax rate on the books, we will be getting assessed at "maximum value possibly as determined by a city wonk".

9% tax rate on the books and "full value reassessment". it's the 60s and 70s all over again - chase everybody out and take their property.
    Seriously man. The rate will be changing.

Quote Originally Posted by EJW View Post
    I've seen some speculation that the city will probably make the assessments lower than actual value in order to avoid a deluge of appeals, but I think that is being a little to optimistic and also assuming that the city actually knows what the heck they are doing here.
    I think they will be lower than people expect because they could be tracking several years behind of sale price patterns.

stonefly is offline Plecoptera

Hopefully millage rate is closer to 1% than 2%. When does the new millage rate get decided?

Quote Originally Posted by stonefly View Post
    Hopefully millage rate is closer to 1% than 2%. When does the new millage rate get decided?
    Likely with the budget by end of June. It will be a heated discussion for the months leading up to it though.

Bixbyte is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by raider.adam View Post
    I think they will be lower than people expect because they could be tracking several years behind of sale price patterns.
    The CITY will over estimate the value of most home values.
    Since Home prices have declined since the 2008 bank debacle most home prices continued a steady price decline up to 2012.
    You think that Mayor Nutter or City Council really Give a Sh**T?
    Just a bunch of screw job power mongers fleecing the residents of Philadelphia.
    Wait till election time and watch these whores get on their knees and perform any act to be reelected.
    I am a pissed off Old Dinosaur.

Sharkfood is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by stonefly View Post
    The more breaks they give to "long time homeowners" and their ne'er do well children,
    The higher the millage rate will be for the rest of us.

sharkey is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sharkfood View Post
    The more breaks they give to "long time homeowners" and their ne'er do well children,
    The higher the millage rate will be for the rest of us.
    Yes, most renters must not understand that a "homestead exemption" really screws them. Rental propeties will carry a heavier burden and, of course, these costs get passed through to the tenant in their rents.

Eastcoast is offline Senior Member

I'm considering opening a torch and pitchfork shop near city hall, possibly in the old Borders location. Plowshare to Sword DIY kits will also be available, sadly all of the higher quality Tar and Feather project sets are on backorder (Cali).

Actually now that I read my own post I realize that the "Torch and Pitchfork" is an awesome name for a pub.

Free name to whoever needs it, please just name a sandwich the "Eastcoast"!

billy ross is offline Senior Member

I was online looking up the 3500 block of Lafayette Street in East Falls during the Super Bowl last night, and I noticed an anomaly. The proposed market values for '2013' were suspiciously close to the actual values of these properties. Yet... the taxes due for 2013 weren't commensurate with the millage rate for 2013 applied to these 'values'. It seemed to me that the city has let the cat out of the bag on that block and that I should logically interpret the 'Proposed Market Value for 2013' to actually mean for 2014. I checked nearby blocks and they don't seem to share this oddly lower effective millage (combine with what looks suspiciously like 'actual value' 'market value'). Any help here? It hadn't occurred to me that they'd be getting this stuff out on the opa's website so soon. Any other blocks like this? Those numbers below are arguably what those places are actually worth. They may be a tad low, but not terribly much if at all. I don't think that they're overly high.

Addresses like: 3500 LAFAYETTE ST

Select OPA Account # Sort By:
    OPA Account # Address Property Description Owners Sale Price Date Of Sale Proposed MarketValue for2013 Proposed Tax for 2013
    382128510 3563 LAFAYETTE ST ROW 3 STY MASONRY HAGAN DAVID $187,500 07/19/2005 $179,500
    382128520 3565 LAFAYETTE ST ROW 3 STY MASONRY AMABILE MARY A $90,000 05/15/2002 $179,500
    382128530 3567 LAFAYETTE ST ROW 3 STY MASONRY ANDZEJEWICZ KAREN KELTY RYAN $210,000 09/25/2007 $179,500
    382128540 3569 LAFAYETTE ST ROW 3 STY MASONRY TOWRY ELIZABETH T $200,000 10/27/2006 $179,500
    382128550 3571 LAFAYETTE ST ROW 3 STY MASONRY MOBLY ALBERTA C $86,900 05/31/2002 $179,500
    382128560 3573 LAFAYETTE ST ROW 3 STY MASONRY EPSTEIN MATTHEW R $180,000 06/15/2005 $179,500
    382128570 3575 LAFAYETTE ST ROW 3 STY MASONRY STRAVINSKY BENJAMIN $182,000 08/10/2005 $199,300
    Page 1
    Last edited by billy ross; 02-04-2013 at 08:27 PM.

Clearly the Homestead Exemptions are a soak the rich policy. Green and Kenney are now against them. Goode is still for them. Let's see.... Who do I support in this ideological divide? Maybe the guys who understand that Philly needs to appeal to the taxpaying class if it's going to be a healthy city and have a taxpaying class?

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/po..._overhaul.html

'A majority of the city's homeowners would save under the exemption, but Green said that at the 1.25 rate, taxes would still go down or stay the same for those who would have benefited most under homestead.

"It doesn't make sense for everybody else to pay [the higher rate] for a very, very small benefit for a large number of people," he said, "as opposed to everybody paying the same fair rate based on what your home is worth."

Green's bill was cosponsored by James F. Kenney.

Wilson Goode Jr., a proponent of the exemption, said not considering what is best for the largest number of people would be wrong.

"At the end of the day, the majority of people will see a lower tax bill with a homestead exemption," he said. "That's not debatable."'

The above quote is horribly butchered and opaque. I'll translate it: "AVI will help poor Philadelphians by transferring the tax burden to more economically vibrant parts of Philadelphia. We don't need to give these parts of the city a double whammy of tax burden transfer. The poor will still benefit even without a homestead exemption because their historically overassessed homes won't be so anymore (Green and Kenney). We need to give away as much as possible to as many people as possible, and to hell with those few people who end up paying for this in the end, since they didn't vote for me and won't vote for me anyway (Goode)."
    Last edited by billy ross; 02-08-2013 at 08:32 AM.

eldondre is online now Moderator

as a renter I'm probably more impacted by the high cost of construction and nimbyism that reduces supply than the homestead exemption as proposed. I think green makes a good case for getting rid of it (that it doesn't make much of a difference)even if I'm not sold on his plans to raise property taxes in the future. Philadelphia is home to the highest proportion of tax exempt property in the nation I think, which means increasing property taxes to lower the wage tax oddly shifts the tax burden from non-profit to residential and for profit business owners (unless he simply wants to eliminate business taxes which don't affect the non-profits by doing so)
    "It has shown me that everything is illuminated in the light of the past"
    Jonathan Safran Foer

Quote Originally Posted by eldondre View Post
    as a renter I'm probably more impacted by the high cost of construction and nimbyism that reduces supply than the homestead exemption as proposed. I think green makes a good case for getting rid of it (that it doesn't make much of a difference)even if I'm not sold on his plans to raise property taxes in the future. Philadelphia is home to the highest proportion of tax exempt property in the nation I think, which means increasing property taxes to lower the wage tax oddly shifts the tax burden from non-profit to residential and for profit business owners (unless he simply wants to eliminate business taxes which don't affect the non-profits by doing so)
    I think they should just eliminate property tax exemptions for non-profits and then lower the rate.

I think they should just eliminate property tax exemptions for non-profits and then lower the rate.
    I've said it before and I'll say it again. Every time a church or other nonprofit gets converted to residential due to the abatement that's a win for the property tax base in the city and for taxpayers in this city.

at the vert least only property in use for tax exempt mission should be exempt. parking for employees, speculative holdings, etc should be taxed.
    Jonathan Safran Foer

Quote Originally Posted by billy ross View Post
    I've said it before and I'll say it again. Every time a church or other nonprofit gets converted to residential due to the abatement that's a win for the property tax base in the city and for taxpayers in this city.
    how many churches have to be converted to male up for land the universities are buying?
    Jonathan Safran Foer

AbortedWalrus is offline Senior Member

You know, come to think of it, I haven't even received my tax bill for this year. What gives?