Register
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: new contract

shadow is offline Member

Default new contract

Phila cops get new contract. since 2008 it works out to be around 19 percent. wow

O.H. Lee is offline Senior Member

It is not a new contract. It is the arbitrated wage reopener of the last two years of a five year contract.

I don't have all the numbers in front of me, but I believe the wage increase is more like 12-13 percent over the life of the contract.
    "We do sincerely hope you all enjoy the show, and please remember people, that no matter who you are and what you do to live, thrive and survive, there are still some things that make us all the same. You, me, them, everybody, everybody!"

Malloy is offline Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by O.H. Lee View Post
    It is not a new contract. It is the arbitrated wage reopener of the last two years of a five year contract.

I don't have all the numbers in front of me, but I believe the wage increase is more like 12-13 percent over the life of the contract.
    How long is the contract?
    Like PS on Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Malloy View Post
    How long is the contract?
    5 years

I believe the wage increases awarded by the neutral arbitrator were:
    0, 3, 4, 3, 3 %
    "We do sincerely hope you all enjoy the show, and please remember people, that no matter who you are and what you do to live, thrive and survive, there are still some things that make us all the same. You, me, them, everybody, everybody!"

five apples is offline Deacon Blues

Quote Originally Posted by O.H. Lee View Post
    5 years

I believe the wage increases awarded by the neutral arbitrator were:
    0, 3, 4, 3, 3 %
    Pretty standard these days. Nothing for anyone to get outraged at.
    "No one wanted to be mayor of Philadelphia. It was a thankless job, which for the first 56 years offered an annual salary of zero. In 1745, two men turned down the position and instead accepted large fines. In 1747, Anthony Morris fled to Bucks County to hide and thus avoid notification of his election. After Morris’s disappearance, a new election was held, and William Atwood was re-elected."

shadow is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by five apples View Post
    Pretty standard these days. Nothing for anyone to get outraged at.
    so he should have no problem paying the other unions then.

billy ross is online now Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by shadow View Post

You don't want to underpay your police. Just make sure they're putting in honest time.

eldondre is online now Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by billy ross View Post
    You don't want to underpay your police. Just make sure they're putting in honest time.
    there is a problem in that arbitrators don't take into account municipalities' ability to pay. not saying this is or isn't outrageous but the arbitration process itself, dating back to act 111 in the 60's, is pretty union friendly and it's one of the primary causes of today's problems across the state.
    "It has shown me that everything is illuminated in the light of the past"
    Jonathan Safran Foer

eldondre is online now Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by billy ross View Post
    there is a problem in that arbitrators don't take into account municipalities' ability to pay. not saying this is or isn't outrageous but the arbitration process itself, dating back to act 111 in the 60's, is pretty union friendly and it's one of the primary causes of today's problems across the state. In philly i.understand the problem is the number of cops not in the field and an unusually large nunber of mgmt positions that are union giving the commissioner less control than most cities.
    Last edited by eldondre; 12-29-2012 at 01:42 PM.
    "It has shown me that everything is illuminated in the light of the past"
    Jonathan Safran Foer

I don't know about that. I have seen some pretty crappy awards (for us) that the neutral arbitrator handed down in favor of the city.

Ramsey has a lot more control than you think. I would personally love to see more cops in car and beats in the districts instead of special units and desk jobs. But many of them are being taken care of and nothing will change.

I am sure they all will be using it as an example.

I have no problem with that at all. What I would have an issue with is that the Unions continue not to have to contribute to their own retirement funds or pay little for their own healthcare.
    "No one wanted to be mayor of Philadelphia. It was a thankless job, which for the first 56 years offered an annual salary of zero. In 1745, two men turned down the position and instead accepted large fines. In 1747, Anthony Morris fled to Bucks County to hide and thus avoid notification of his election. After Morris’s disappearance, a new election was held, and William Atwood was re-elected."

I have no problem with that at all. What I would have an issue with is that the Unions continue not to have to contribute to their own retirement funds or pay little for their own healthcare.

Dave is offline Señor Member

The differences, supposedly

Philly won’t appeal police arbitration award

Despite the costs, the administration says its five-year contract with the Fraternal Order of Police provided significant structural improvements, the biggest a self-insurance plan for health benefits that will save taxpayers millions of dollars.

The city contends that it cannot afford the firefighters' awards because there are no associated savings through new insurance or pension arrangements. The city's latest appeal is pending in Commonwealth Court.
    Welcome to Philadelphia. Here's how you can help us make our great city even better:

* Write to your elected officials
    * Report suspicious activity to the police department
    * Is there an abandoned/nuisance property in your neighborhood? See if it is tax delinquent. If so, maybe you can force it to go to sheriff's sale.

Philadelinquency.com - The Underbelly of Philadelphia Real Estate

raider.adam is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by five apples View Post
    I thought they do pay into pension. The issue is the amount I thought.

Quote Originally Posted by raider.adam View Post
    I thought they do pay into pension. The issue is the amount I thought.
    We do pay into our pension.

Currently 3 different tiers depending on when you were hired.

With the last tier an option for a shared 401k.