Register
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Oh My...

TeddyP27 is offline Dixie Wrecked

Default Oh My...

Thanks, Willie, for my plea deal last year! I'm glad we met whilst I was volunteering for a mayoral candidate in 2007!

Report finds Philadelphia Traffic routinely fixed tickets for pols

raider.adam is offline Senior Member

Throw the book at McCaffery too.

I'm not sure how replacing traffic court judges with hearing officers helps anything. A routine complaint about the PPA red light cameras is the ticket process and those have hearing officers, right?

annie is offline Senior Member

Report on Philly Traffic Court finds ticket-fixing rampant - Philly.com

According to the report, an unnamed ward leader called the court recently to seek special treatment. When told that instead his message had been sent to Judge Glazer, the specially appointed reformer, the ward leader replied: "How does that help me?"
    Any guesses as to which ward leader? It's a guy, apparently.

raider.adam is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by annie View Post
    Report on Philly Traffic Court finds ticket-fixing rampant - Philly.com

Any guesses as to which ward leader? It's a guy, apparently.
    It'd be easier to try to guess who it wasn't.

lucidinnature is offline Banned

This report plainly spells out violations of office, and possible felonies. Of course, it will fall on deaf ears as with every other thing these self entitled pricks get away with.

annie is offline Senior Member

Ordinary drivers are disgusted by report on ticket-fixing in Philadelphia

According to Chadwick's investigation, a top court administrator met Rapaport at the entrance to the court on the day of her case. Then, McCaffery acknowledged, the administrator came outside and chatted with the high court justice, who had dropped his wife off and was waiting outside in a car.

The hearing addressed the ticket given Rapaport after a police officer pulled her over in her silver Toyota Highlander SVU at 7 p.m. the previous May 14.

She was stopped not far from the judicial office she shares with her husband in one of the Centre Square towers at 15th and Market.

With an undergraduate degree from Harvard University and a Penn law degree, Rapaport has been her husband's aide since he became an appellate judge nine years ago.

As court employees, McCaffery and Rapaport earn a combined annual total of $271,000 - $195,309 for McCaffery, $75,395 for Rapoport. (Their husband-and-wife setup is not unique. Castille's wife is his chief deputy.)

The ticket given Rapaport carried a $119.50 charge but no points. Like most people hit with moving violations, she appealed to Traffic Court.
    I realize this isn't really about the money but power. Guess I'm one of those "new Philadelphians" DiCicco can't understand because it wouldn't have occurred to me to fight a traffic ticket from going the wrong way on a street near my office like an idiot. (Also, I don't really drive. )

DCnPhilly is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by annie View Post
    Ordinary drivers are disgusted by report on ticket-fixing in Philadelphia

I realize this isn't really about the money but power. Guess I'm one of those "new Philadelphians" DiCicco can't understand because it wouldn't have occurred to me to fight a traffic ticket from going the wrong way on a street near my office like an idiot. (Also, I don't really drive. )
    Ditto, and great article.

concourse is offline Senior Member

Yeah... I'm kind of in awe about the corruption of the electeds to 'fix' tickets but I might be more surprised by the entitlement of those who clearly break traffic laws and then complain not that there is corruption but that their tickets weren't fixed.