Register
+ Reply to Thread
    ArcticSplash is offline Dixie Normus

seand is offline Senior Member

They can and should do way better but two things to consider.
    1. Sherrif John Greene was way more corrupt, way worse of a manager than anyone imagined.

2. A flood of conventional foreclosures took a big bite out of the "sweat equity" end of the real estate market. Tax liens, as someone posted just today, are often a lot of work for the price compared to what you can find in bank sales. At least temporarily.

Still, we are so barely making progress on this. We can't just tread water forever. 202 is still better than 90, however.

If the city continues to offer only 202 new properties a month at sheriff sale, it would take 45 years to bring each tax delinquent parcel to the auction block, and many more years if new delinquents continue to be added to the rolls.
    Last edited by seand; 04-13-2012 at 02:03 PM.

BarryG is offline Senior Member

The good news is that current collections are doing much better. Reducing delinquencies now and for future years is probably more important than collecting all the old debt, and its also a much more realistic goal.
    Last edited by BarryG; 04-13-2012 at 03:07 PM. Reason: typos

raider.adam is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by BarryG View Post
    The good news is that current collections are doing much better. Reducing delinquencies now and for future years is probably more important than collection all the old debt, and its also a much more goal.
    Correct. Part of the point of aggressive sheriff sales is people know they won't get away with it forever.

ACretin is offline Banned

Default city council needs to change their law to allow the city to put properties up for auction

Why can't City Council get off their arses and change their own law to allow the City to put properties up for auction, rather than leaving it up to a taxpayer with $800 bucks he feels like potentially never seeing again.

walnuthill is offline Senior Member

Real estate payment agreements are complete bulls**t. The nuisance property two doors down from me has been delinquent since 2001. The owner has made minimal payments, and the amount owed has gone up every year, from ~$3000 in 2007 to ~$5000 today. They pay the bare minimum to prevent sheriff sale: about $500-700 on a $1200 annual tax bill. Naturally, the Street administration decided to give them the vacant lot between our houses for free because they were "current" on their real estate payment plan. Last year, the Walnut Hill CA wanted to convert it into a community garden (through a fully funded grant) but the RDA decided to let this nuisance family keep it. Now their teenage son smokes weed in the lot with his friends every afternoon. Thanks, Philly! I'm moving as soon as I can.

Gladys is offline Senior Member

that's hideous and a good example of someone knowing someone in power.
    "If you're going to tell people the truth, you better make them laugh; otherwise they'll kill you."
    - attributed to both George Bernard Shaw & Oscar Wilde

"I never clean up after my dogs, because I have trained them to run with me off leash while I ride my bike the wrong way on the sidewalk."
    - LUCas
    Originally Posted by Dave L We need to focus on banning both singers who crap on the sidewalk and dogs that annoy people with their singing. - Mondo

StrangeTanks is offline Senior Member

This is such a good example of how our system doesn't work. But not in the way most people think.

I've stated it on here several times, the city sells the back taxes on properties. So there is zero incentive for the city to take properties to tax sale because the city has already collected on whatever money it will get. This was done by the Rendell administration.

Second, all I hear on the news are sob stories about people who can't afford the houses they bought and how we need to help them out. On a large scale, it sounds very compelling. When its your neighbor and you know the details, it becomes obvious that the owner is actually a scumbag.

If anyone on here decides they don't want to pay their RE taxes. Feel free not to do so. If you happen to get caught up in the system, you can agree to a payment agreement and pay 50% which will stop it from going to sale. At which time you have another 5 to 10 years before it ends up on the auction block again.

If you want to live in your house for free. You can be savvy and stop paying your mortgage and taxes and have 1 to 5 years of not paying a dime.

This is the world we live in now. Personally, I'm less angry with an individual that gets away with a couple thousand than I am with a corporate entity that gets away with several billion.

Quote Originally Posted by ACretin View Post
    Why can't City Council get off their arses and change their own law to allow the City to put properties up for auction, rather than leaving it up to a taxpayer with $800 bucks he feels like potentially never seeing again.
    I'm pretty sure they can.

If you have a warm relationship with your council office... you can actually have them put a request in for you to tip a property into Sheriff's Sale to avoid the $800.

Given the political climate, this only works in market-rate areas or you have clear plans on being the auction winner, since the Side Yard Program is officially dead (unless that Land Bank bill passes).

However, if the lein was sent to GRB Law, they can't help you. When the City sells the property tax lien they sold the right to collect THAT particular lein. Linebarger accepts deposits but GRB Law doesn't. That's why you should visit the Real Estate Tax Unit in the flesh in the MSB building to find who owns the liens first before you do anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by walnuthill View Post
    Real estate payment agreements are complete bulls**t. The nuisance property two doors down from me has been delinquent since 2001. The owner has made minimal payments, and the amount owed has gone up every year, from ~$3000 in 2007 to ~$5000 today. They pay the bare minimum to prevent sheriff sale: about $500-700 on a $1200 annual tax bill. Naturally, the Street administration decided to give them the vacant lot between our houses for free because they were "current" on their real estate payment plan. Last year, the Walnut Hill CA wanted to convert it into a community garden (through a fully funded grant) but the RDA decided to let this nuisance family keep it. Now their teenage son smokes weed in the lot with his friends every afternoon. Thanks, Philly! I'm moving as soon as I can.
    I am going to suggest a Sheriff's tipping point or payment plan exclusion from Sheriff's Protection to Maria Quiñones-Sánchez based on zoning category, no matter your payment plan status.

If you've got > $8,000 in liens on an R10/R10A house AND stretching for more than 6 years, chances are excellent you're just sending token payments into the City so your neighbors can't take you to Sheriff's.

Bill Green's edit to the Sheriff's Sale language in the LBB actually makes ALL Philadelphia property Land Bankable after 1 year of liens, which means at any time, your deed is stripped. If this occurred, you'd approach your council member along with the civic association's board and the non-profit would request to the Land Bank to have the land sold over. No Sheriffs Sale occurs in that process, it happens faster.

Quote Originally Posted by ArcticSplash View Post
    If you have a warm relationship with your council office... you can actually have them put a request in for you to tip a property into Sheriff's Sale to avoid the $800.

Given the political climate, this only works in market-rate areas or you have clear plans on being the auction winner, since the Side Yard Program is officially dead (unless that Land Bank bill passes).

However, if the lein was sent to GRB Law, they can't help you. When the City sells the property tax lien they sold the right to collect THAT particular lein. Linebarger accepts deposits but GRB Law doesn't. That's why you should visit the Real Estate Tax Unit in the flesh in the MSB building to find who owns the liens first before you do anything else.
    Actually, the two vacant lots next to my house were with Linebarger. They would NOT auction them unless Councilman Clarke did something. Took a year and a half for them to be put up for Sheriff sale.