Register
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Dave is offline Seņor Member

Default Merion Township wage tax

I recently noticed that my employer's HR department has started deducting a "Merion Township" tax from my paychecks. I assume this is because my employer has an office in King of Prussia, and that the commonwealth allows municipalities to levy a wage tax of up to 1% (Philadelphia is a special exception to the 1% limit due to its status as a 'city of the first class"). However, I'm a little vague on the details of the 1% tax. Is this something you have to pay if you work there and don't live there? If not, how would I go about getting them to refund my money? It's not a huge amount of money, but I already feel that I pay more than enough taxes to the state and city, and having yet another tax get deducted by some place where I don't live and haven't really been to in months really galls me -- yes, people feel he same way about Philly's commuter tax

If anyone can offer any insight into this I would much appreciate it.
    Welcome to Philadelphia. Here's how you can help us make our great city even better:

* Write to your elected officials
    * Report suspicious activity to the police department
    * Is there an abandoned/nuisance property in your neighborhood? See if it is tax delinquent. If so, maybe you can force it to go to sheriff's sale.

Philadelinquency.com - The Underbelly of Philadelphia Real Estate

Hospitalitygirl is offline Moderator

I have had to pay a wage tax when I worked in Willow Grove while living in Philadelphia. I can't answer this off the top of my head but I will find out for you.
    I am not the Jackass Whisperer.

Joe_Doherty is offline Senior Member

Garret is offline Online Tool

I always thought that in PA, wherever you live gets dibs on the 1% of your income, and if that leaves nothing for the township where you work, then they are SOL. That is how it has worked for me while living in Philly and working in NJ, Hatfield, Upper Dublin, and Horsham townships.

I also thought that Upper Merion did not have a wage tax. One guy I used to work with would complain that he was paying 1% to Horsham instead of his home town, which made him wish that UM did have a wage tax.

I would get it sorted out with your employer's payroll dept asap, as I have heard that once you have paid that money, getting a refund is tough.

ETA: The link Joe_Doherty posted shows a lot of business-related taxes but no actual wage tax. My friend who lives in Upper Merion told me that the King of Prussia Mall basically subsidizes the entire township and allows them to have no wage tax and low property taxes. I presume those "mercantile" and other taxes listed are the mechanism to pull that off. You probably need to talk to your payroll people as this could be a complicated one.
    Last edited by Garret; 04-13-2011 at 01:24 PM.

Braveheart is offline Mismember

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    I recently noticed that my employer's HR department has started deducting a "Merion Township" tax from my paychecks. I assume this is because my employer has an office in King of Prussia, Is this something you have to pay if you work there and don't live there?
    I only know of an Upper Merion and Lower Merion township so Merion doesn't make sense but that's OK as I know an
    upscale HR lady who doesn't know what carpenter bees are, even though they've been eating her townhouse for
    20 years.

Pretty sure a privilege tax only applies to where you actually work, not where your company has an office. Is the
    office their headquarters? Do you work from that office? If not what state and township do you work in?

I would contact 'Merion Twp' and skip HR.

billy ross is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hospitalitygirl View Post
    I have had to pay a wage tax when I worked in Willow Grove while living in Philadelphia. I can't answer this off the top of my head but I will find out for you.
    Garret is almost correct. Philly was the second governmental entity in the USA to levy an income tax, second only to the federal government. Thus the feds get first dibs, Philly second, and everyone else lines up behind Philly. Since Philly's wage tax is more than any other wage tax in the state, Philly gets all of the tax, and other municipalities get zero, whether you live or work in the burbs, as long as you do one of them in the city.

Very many accountants and payroll people don't understand this and get baffled by how to administer it.

Quote Originally Posted by Braveheart View Post
    I only know of an Upper Merion and Lower Merion township so Merion doesn't make sense but that's OK as I know an
    upscale HR lady who doesn't know what carpenter bees are, even though they've been eating her townhouse for
    20 years.

Pretty sure a privilege tax only applies to where you actually work, not where your company has an office. Is the
    office their headquarters? Do you work from that office? If not what state and township do you work in?

I would contact 'Merion Twp' and skip HR.
    Definitely not the headquarters, and I can't remember the last time I was in that office to do work. It's closing soon, anyway, so the deduction should stop no matter what the rules are. I'm mostly just wondering how much effort it would be to get them to give it back. Given how little it was, and how much of a pain these comments make it sound like it it is, I doubt that I'll bother. Upper Merion definitely has some kind of tax, though, since I had a previous job there where people were having the tax deducted (I didn't, since the locally-based HR department apparently knew enough not to deduct it when the employee was paying Philly wage tax).
    Welcome to Philadelphia. Here's how you can help us make our great city even better:

* Is there an abandoned/nuisance property in your neighborhood? See if it is tax delinquent. If so, maybe you can force it to go to sheriff's sale.

Upper Merion has some serious sinkhole issues, I heard Bloomingdales sunk .08 mm over the last 2 weeks, and they
    need money even if you don't live or work there. You think they want to pay for it?

Definitely not the headquarters, and I can't remember the last time I was in that office to do work. It's closing soon, anyway, so the deduction should stop no matter what the rules are. I'm mostly just wondering how much effort it would be to get them to give it back. Given how little it was, and how much of a pain these comments make it sound like it it is, I doubt that I'll bother. Upper Merion definitely has some kind of tax, though, since I had a previous job there where people were having the tax deducted (I didn't, since the locally-based HR department apparently knew enough not to deduct it when the employee was paying Philly wage tax).
    Hubs thinks you should be able to deduct it against your Phila. taxes, but can't know for certain with out details. Best I can do right now.

Notcom is offline Version 2.0

Work site cities get to charge an LST tax (used to be called and EMT tax, or the other way around, but whatever...) but it's very nominal ($1/week.)

Anyway, try this:

Municipal Statistics Tax Reports
    Notcom for Mayor '15
    123rd time lucky !!

Politburo is offline Senior Member

I pay both the UM LST and Philly wage. I don't know of any deduction on the wage tax for it (would only save $2 anyway), nor is there any real exemption from the LST (only if you make <$12,000). If you really don't work in UM, then you shouldn't have been paying it.. but do you work in another physical office? Or do you work from home/road and your company considers you based in UM? If it's the latter, getting the money back might be more difficult.

The instructions for the Phila wage form say that you should instruct your employer to not withhold any other 'local income tax'. It appears that LST is not considered an income tax, though, presumably because it's a flat fee.

Quote Originally Posted by Politburo View Post
    I pay both the UM LST and Philly wage. I don't know of any deduction on the wage tax for it (would only save $2 anyway), nor is there any real exemption from the LST (only if you make <$12,000). If you really don't work in UM, then you shouldn't have been paying it.. but do you work in another physical office? Or do you work from home/road and your company considers you based in UM? If it's the latter, getting the money back might be more difficult.

The instructions for the Phila wage form say that you should instruct your employer to not withhold any other 'local income tax'. It appears that LST is not considered an income tax, though, presumably because it's a flat fee.
    Yeah, I found out it's supposed to be a $52 annual "fee."

FYI, there is an Annual Reconciliation of Employees Earnings Tax form. It can be used if you were either under-withheld or over-withheld and need to pay or have a refund issued, respectively.

FYI, there is an Annual Reconciliation of Employees Earnings Tax form. It can be used if you were either under-withheld or over-withheld and need to pay or have a refund issued, respectively.
    Thanks. I'll look into that, but suspect it's probably not worth the trouble. Waiting to hear back from HR about discontinuing the withholding once the KoP office closes.

Thanks. I'll look into that, but suspect it's probably not worth the trouble. Waiting to hear back from HR about discontinuing the withholding once the KoP office closes.
    phila.gov/revenue, but be forewarned, the dumbasses have that programmed to only use a PC based computer and IE 5.0 or later.

It makes my work harder since I need to wait for the PC to be free....

also be forewarned of the merion township *limestone sinkhole act* pursuant to commuters that drive within a
    50 mile radius of said location.

your tax professional will understand the particular participants.

phila.gov/revenue, but be forewarned, the dumbasses have that programmed to only use a PC based computer and IE 5.0 or later.

It makes my work harder since I need to wait for the PC to be free....
    What part of it doesn't work? I loaded in Firefox on both Linux and windows 7 and it seemed to work fine. Might just be older versions of IE that don't work.

BarryG is offline Senior Member

What part of it doesn't work? I loaded in Firefox on both Linux and windows 7 and it seemed to work fine. Might just be older versions of IE that don't work.
    The online payment piece. The info parts are crappy but functional.

I can't get it on my Mac.

I can't get it on my Mac.
    Are you still at this folly?