Register
+ Reply to Thread
    Sean is online now Senior Member

Default Where to buy wood for butcher block

My latest home project is building a butcher block table, but I am having difficulty finding suitable wood for the butcher block itself. I'm looking for Cherry and Maple, length is not important since the block is end grain, but I'd like something bigger than the 1x2s, 1x3s... found at Home Depot and Lowes. Does anyone have a recommendation on where I can pick some up? I've tried some of the local lumber yards on Washington in South Philly with little success.

Thanks!

insolito is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    My latest home project is building a butcher block table, but I am having difficulty finding suitable wood for the butcher block itself. I'm looking for Cherry and Maple, length is not important since the block is end grain, but I'd like something bigger than the 1x2s, 1x3s... found at Home Depot and Lowes. Does anyone have a recommendation on where I can pick some up? I've tried some of the local lumber yards on Washington in South Philly with little success.

Thanks!
    Try the Fairmount Park Recycling Center- you can get wood there for free, but you have to cut it up yourself so bring a chainsaw (and an ID showing you are a Phila resident). This is where the city takes all of the trees that come down from storms like Sandy. You might have a hard time finding cherry, but I bet they have maples.

The website looks like it is down but here is the address 3850 Ford Road, Philadelphia, PA 19131 215-685-0108

Polar Cub is offline Better than a cat

When I needed specialty woods, I'd get it from Rittenhouse Lumber in Erdenheim.

AsYouWere is offline Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Polar Cub View Post
    When I needed specialty woods, I'd get it from Rittenhouse Lumber in Erdenheim.
    Rittenhouse has it all and also Tague down in Germantown even more.

I see ads for woods on Craigs list under Building Materials as well. Check there for a planer too.

Edit - just did a search on Craigs and this company looks pretty good - http://fishersawmillandmillworkscompany-com.webs.com/
    Last edited by AsYouWere; 01-15-2013 at 03:01 PM.