Register
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    shel is offline Junior Member

Default Water line repair

I noticed a small drip coming from my main water line. Its a copper pipe. Any plumbers out there that can give me a range of what I should expect to pay for this repair?
    Thanks

AsYouWere is offline Banned

Can you post a photo? Location? plumbers I know charge $85- just to knock on your door.

thanks. I don't have a picture but one plumber gave me estimate of $4000 after telling me its definitely not a lead pipe !!!
    I had someone stop by today who gave me an estimate of $2200 from curb thru the house to replace the pipe.

Jayallday is offline Large Member

Depending on how far it is from the house to the curb I would probably charge in the $1800 range

Thanks!

Just one quick question. Would it make a difference if it was a lead pipe from curb thru the house? I made a mistake when I said it was not a lead pipe. The pipe is copper from street to curb then lead from there to house. Its a typical row so from curb to house is about 6 feet or so.

Quote Originally Posted by shel View Post
    Just one quick question. Would it make a difference if it was a lead pipe from curb thru the house? I made a mistake when I said it was not a lead pipe. The pipe is copper from street to curb then lead from there to house. Its a typical row so from curb to house is about 6 feet or so.
    If its only 6 feet or so I could do it for about $1200 then. No it wouldn't affect the price if it were lead

Thanks!

billy ross is offline Senior Member

I noticed a small drip coming from my main water line. Its a copper pipe. Any plumbers out there that can give me a range of what I should expect to pay for this repair?
    Thanks
    Copper services rarely produce small drips. Generally they develop pinhole leaks that spray. In the absence of a photo I'm going to guess it's a leaking mechanical joint, either valve packing or meter tailpieces/couplings. Meters belong to the water department and they fix those for free.

Thanks
    Copper services rarely produce small drips. Generally they develop pinhole leaks that spray. In the absence of a photo I'm going to guess it's a leaking mechanical joint, either valve packing or meter tailpieces/couplings. Meters belong to the water department and they fix those for free.

I made a mistake on my first post. From street to curb is copper. Curb to house is lead.

Quote Originally Posted by billy ross View Post
    THIS^ Listen to Billy and myself it's most likely a repair for the water co or a pro not $1800 plus for bonerman Jay.

Post us a photo and you'll get good advice or maybe StrangeTanks can stop by. Best of luck but don't get taken over please.
    Last edited by AsYouWere; 12-18-2012 at 10:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayallday View Post
    Depending on how far it is from the house to the curb I would probably charge in the $1800 range
    For a drip eh?

Lead services are bad and pretty much should be replaced - it would be hard to sell a house with a lead service. However, if money is tight (and, generally speaking, it always is), there's no urgency on replacing a lead service. The leaching of lead into the drinking water stops as the lead oxidizes, and obviously this service is heavily oxidized, since it's so old. I have a few lead services left - I can think of two - and I'm hoping that they don't fail anytime soon. We try to steer clear of them, to avoid any shock to or movement of the line. If the city is doing water main replacement they install new jumpers to the curb box for free, and that's the cheapest time to replace the house side of the service, since the hole is opened anyway and the water is off and the service is disconnected. I think the water department will step up its main renewals over the next few years and I'm hoping on getting rid of my remaining lead lines then.

Also, considering that the OP couldn't tell the difference between a lead and a copper service, they should contact the water department's customer service unit. They can confirm what is going on and issue a violation if necessary. They can also hook you up with the city's loan program where you can pay for the work interest-free through your water bill over the course of years, and get the work done at competitive rates through the city's transparent bidding/pricing process.

Quote Originally Posted by AsYouWere View Post
    THIS^ Listen to Billy and myself it's most likely a repair for the water co or a pro not $1800 plus for bonerman Jay.

Post us a photo and you'll get good advice or maybe StrangeTanks can stop by. Best of luck but don't get taken over please.
    I bet you didn't know that Billy used to work for my father and that I have done water services for Billy at some of his houses. Why am I a "bonerman"? For that matter what does that even mean?

For a drip eh?
    Do you know anything about the costs of replacing a water line from the house to the curb?

Do you know anything about the costs of replacing a water line from the house to the curb?
    As always I want photos, drawings, a site visit, and property ownership proof before even coming close to estimating cost.

As for you, you gave a number without any of the above. You did estimate a price for 6 ft without knowing if that was under a porch or steps, betraying inexperience. You swear a boiler can't explode despite my links showing they can and in general you seem to know everything, minus contingencies.

For cost to replace the water line from house to main the best thing is to purchase the insurance the water co offers, in my case Aqua America. Here the OP has a drip so let's tear up the front yard to find it?

As always I want photos, drawings, a site visit, and property ownership proof before even coming close to estimating cost.

As for you, you gave a number without any of the above. You did estimate a price for 6 ft without knowing if that was under a porch or steps, betraying inexperience. You swear a boiler can't explode despite my links showing they can and in general you seem to know everything, minus contingencies.

For cost to replace the water line from house to main the best thing is to purchase the insurance the water co offers, in my case Aqua America. Here the OP has a drip so let's tear up the front yard to find it?
    It wouldn't matter if it were going under steps or a porch. 6 feet is 6 feet. I also never said a boiler couldn't explode. What are your qualifications to even comment? I've been a master plumber for 10 years how about you?

I've been a master plumber for 10 years
    Now that's disturbing!

sharkey is offline Senior Member

If we are talking about underthe sidewalk, how did the OP even know about the small drip? If the OP digs up the sidewalk to replace the supply line, he should also replace the sewage line.