Register
+ Reply to Thread
    BenDee is offline Senior Member

Default Water coming up through basement floor - sump pump needed?

I recently bought a house and have noticed that water seems to be seeping up through the basement floor. While finding out why it wasn't in the seller's disclosure is going to be a separate adventure, I'm trying to find out the best method for getting rid of it. Has anyone been quoted for a sump pump system here? Judging by the low point in my basement, I'd estimate it's about 15 feet to the curb, 10 to the sidewalk. I also have a storm drain to the sewer (drains the water from the house, roof, and backyard) that runs along the edge about 6-8 feet away, with an available connection right before it disappears towards the street. There's a chance that the water is coming from that rather than seeping up, but I can't find a moisture path from the drain into the center of the room.

Any thoughts are appreciated!

Bixbyte is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by BenDee View Post
    I recently bought a house and have noticed that water seems to be seeping up through the basement floor. While finding out why it wasn't in the seller's disclosure is going to be a separate adventure, I'm trying to find out the best method for getting rid of it. Has anyone been quoted for a sump pump system here? Judging by the low point in my basement, I'd estimate it's about 15 feet to the curb, 10 to the sidewalk. I also have a storm drain to the sewer (drains the water from the house, roof, and backyard) that runs along the edge about 6-8 feet away, with an available connection right before it disappears towards the street. There's a chance that the water is coming from that rather than seeping up, but I can't find a moisture path from the drain into the center of the room.

There is an easy fix until you find the source of the water.
    Dig a small trench, place a 5 gallon bucket, exactly where the water congregates and install a cheap sump pump before you have a flood.
    Connect the sump pump with a check valve into the drain line.
    That is how I prevent a flood and water damage.
    I am a pissed off Old Dinosaur.

billy ross is offline Senior Member

See whether it's water which is soaking in around your foundation walls. Oftentimes it's a simple as fixing your gutters or regrading up against the foundation. You should also ask neighbors whether they have any issues, in attached housing especially.

Quote Originally Posted by billy ross View Post
    See whether it's water which is soaking in around your foundation walls. Oftentimes it's a simple as fixing your gutters or regrading up against the foundation. You should also ask neighbors whether they have any issues, in attached housing especially.
    What type of contractor would I talk to about determining the cause? I don't know anywhere near what is required to figure that out.

billy ross is offline Senior Member

What type of contractor would I talk to about determining the cause? I don't know anywhere near what is required to figure that out.
    Very few people understand it. Stand outside when it rains and see where the water is going - hint - you want it to be away from your house, not towards your house.

You can call the water department and have them test it to see whether it is treated water or rainwater. If it's treated water they'll get to the bottom of it for you. If it's rainwater they still may have suggestions as to where it is coming from. Try to meet with a supervisor in the customer service department. It may be as simple as a neighbor's water heater - this exact problem has caused a basement of mine to flood, temporarily.

Eastcoast is offline Senior Member

We need more details.

Are you in a free standing house, twin, row?

Quote Originally Posted by Eastcoast View Post
    We need more details.

Are you in a free standing house, twin, row?
    Rowhome with a house on both sides and a concrete patio in the rear. The roof drains to the rear patio where it drains into my soil pipe, that then proceeds from the rear of the house to the front, picking up other drainage pipes from my plumbing along the way.

@Billy - thanks, I'll give PWD a call! Is there a specific department I should talk to?

Rowhome with a house on both sides and a concrete patio in the rear. The roof drains to the rear patio where it drains into my soil pipe, that then proceeds from the rear of the house to the front, picking up other drainage pipes from my plumbing along the way.

@Billy - thanks, I'll give PWD a call! Is there a specific department I should talk to?
    Was your basement recently remodeled/spruced up for the intent of selling it? Sometimes in the process of a remodel a floor drain will be cemented or otherwise covered over with predictable results.

Like Billy mentioned you might want to check with your immediate neighbors, they might also be able to let you know if previous owners had complained about water issues.

Was your basement recently remodeled/spruced up for the intent of selling it? Sometimes in the process of a remodel a floor drain will be cemented or otherwise covered over with predictable results.
    Why, yes! Just a tile floor, nothing else that would be part of a 'finished' basement. It's right in the front-center too, where it seems to be 1) a perfect location for a drain in a basement and 2) about an inch lower than the rest of the basement.

Like Billy mentioned you might want to check with your immediate neighbors, they might also be able to let you know if previous owners had complained about water issues.
    Will do.

AsYouWere is offline Banned

Might want to check old maps to see if your place was built over a buried creek which is common in Philly, or extend your downspout runoff.

If you're over a creek digging down for a sump pump won't help. PWD has extensive research on the subject easily googled. That's the first thing I'd look into.

Here's the link for Philly H2O Maps -
    Philly H2O: Maps

Sorry I missed this.
    It's illegal for outside drainage to go into your sewer system and just asking for problems.

Quote Originally Posted by AsYouWere View Post
    Here's the link for Philly H2O Maps -
    Philly H2O: Maps

Sorry I missed this.
    It's illegal for outside drainage to go into your sewer system and just asking for problems.
    Most rowhouse systems have downspouts and backyard drains that hook into the soil pipe and out to the sewer it all goes. I think the city is slowly trying to figure out how to rework this approach.

Most rowhouse systems have downspouts and backyard drains that hook into the soil pipe and out to the sewer it all goes. I think the city is slowly trying to figure out how to rework this approach.
    Well it's a great way to find the buried floor drain in the basement. Still not a bad idea to check the linked stream maps since they all were buried.