Register
+ Reply to Thread
    daninpa is online now Cheesesteak GURU!

Default Orange flames with gas range

I've Googled around and some people say it's safe and some people say it should get checked. This morning I'm having orange flames coming out of my burners. They are more orange than the picture shows.

It also smells very faintly of gas. I'm gonna not use it and I'm gonna get it checked but has anyone else experienced it? I live in a high rise and have never seen this before.

stock is offline Senior Member

Usually it is either a dust issue or incomplete burning of the fuel. Turn on the stove and give the area around the orange flame a little wrap, see if the color changes. If it does, it might be dust. If that does not work, call the maintenance department and ask if work had been done on the gas line or if anyone else has said anything.
    Chris
    Philadelphia Salvage
    Design Build

542 Carpenter Lane - Retail and Custom
    2234 W. Westmoreland "The Foundry"

"Anyone who would trade their freedom for safety
    deserves neither freedom or safety."

- Benjamin Franklin

CHIOSSO is offline Schuylkill Ranger

Your flame should be blue so a mostly orange flame means their is incomplete combustion.
    Last edited by CHIOSSO; 01-24-2011 at 09:51 AM.
    Moyamensing became known for its penitentiary, violent hose company, cemeteries, wretchedly poor inhabitants, and crime. Harry C. Silcox

billy ross is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by daninpa View Post
    I've Googled around and some people say it's safe and some people say it should get checked. This morning I'm having orange flames coming out of my burners. They are more orange than the picture shows.

It also smells very faintly of gas. I'm gonna not use it and I'm gonna get it checked but has anyone else experienced it? I live in a high rise and have never seen this before.
    It's a dark photo, but it looks to me like you've got a sealed-burner gas range, and whoever cleaned it knocked the top of the burner out of its groove, which is causing incomplete combustion. It's a little cookie that just needs to be centered into the piece below it, when cool of course. Sometimes I just spin them until they drop in.

Ooooh, Russian spam.

Anyway the high flames were because of the cookie being off a bit and I cleaned it a bit and now my flames are about 50% blue/50% orange. Still odd, I'm hitting up maintenance tomorrow to see what's up. Thanks!

Braveheart is offline Mismember

Yo Dan did you ever figure out why your flame was orange? Just curious what the solution was.
    Why do the flames of my gas stove change their color when you move the pan?

The maintenance dude says it was either air in the pipes or the cold temperatures out (It was in the single digits that day) but assured me they were okay to cook on. They turned completely blue a day or two later.