In the 1800's, there was an island in the middle of the Delaware River between Philadelphia and Camden, NJ. The island was known as Windmill Island because of a windmill built on it in 1746 by a John Harding. The Phila.-Camden ferries would go around the island until 1838 when a channel was dredged right through it to accomodate the increased traffic. The south half kept the name Windmill Island, but the north half was re-named Smith's Island for the owner, John Smith. In the 1880's, Jacob Ridgway built an amusement park on Smith's Island and ran ferries to it from Camden. In 1890, the islands were declared a menace to navigation, and in 1891, an operation was begun to remove them by dredging. By 1897, they were completely gone.
Moyamensing became known for its penitentiary, violent hose company, cemeteries, wretchedly poor inhabitants, and crime. Harry C. Silcox