Register
+ Reply to Thread
    Phillyxpat is offline Senior Member

Default The Lost Art of Hanging out on a Street Corner - Philly Style

This is a bit bizarre, perhaps off the wall, but I take some time to analyze some historical photos and I begin to realize what a lost art form standing on a street corner used to be before radio, TV, Highways and the Internet. Do guys stand the same way at the mall these days?

Is it only in Philly that everyone used to hang out before air conditioning in summer and did they always have one hand on the hip in some nineteenth century body language, Philly and or European, thing?

Examples:

PhillyHistory - Detail View

CONTENTdm Collection : Item Viewer

Colin P. Varga is offline Senior Member

Maybe it's where you live. In MYK/ROX street corners were not neglected. However, if I pointed a camera at a corner the people would might have dispersed, so it might have something to do with how people feel about cameras now as opposed to the past.
    Goodnight Rossana Arquette whereever you are.

mixiboi is offline Philly Remixed

Yeah, Cameras were still new, so of course people would be more willing to pose for them. Especially then when you HAD to pose for them for mins to get it to develop right.
    Graphic Designer, Social Media Consultant. Twitter: @Sdlaugh

Colin P. Varga is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by mixiboi View Post
    Yeah, Cameras were still new, so of course people would be more willing to pose for them. Especially then when you HAD to pose for them for mins to get it to develop right.
    In old photos you can see smeared people on streets walking around and then there will be one person that is looking at the camera and stood still for the photo. Or like this one everyone is looking at the map except the boy:

My mother had an old photo of herself, and her sisters as children, but there was a man in the picture. When I asked who it was she said he was just walking by and wanted to be in the photo. He's dressed nicely and I guess he just thought he looked good enough to have his picture taken.
    Goodnight Rossana Arquette whereever you are.

1925 CONTENTdm Collection : Item Viewer

This is a bit late for Fatherís Day but it only occurred to me this morning that the boys in the above photo were of an age to match my late father when this photo was taken. It also fits in the hanging on the street corner theme I believe even if it is in a mini-park. The picture is a bit grainy but the gesture of the boy to the left suggests a cigarette in hand at mouth.

The smoking end of the photo reminds me of my dadís lifetime two pack a day habit of Lucky Strikes. Of note I can remember being four or five and going down to the corner grocery store in the late fifties with $.26 to buy him a pack of cigarettes and they did not card me. Ha Ha.

On the fashion theme I see these young men in the photo are wearing short pants or knickers. I donít know which term was correct in Philly at the time. The short pants were I believe a carryover of when men wore breeches as in the case of George Washington etc.

Also of note, I see one of the boys wearing a sleeve garter. I can remember my dad mentioning that in the old days, the white shirts were wool and would shrink with every washing. So shirts were bought with many sizes too large to accommodate long term wear before passing them along as a hand me down to a younger sibling or cousin (recycling) and the sleeve garters helped to keep your cuffs from going down to your knees. Of course if the sleeves got too short there were always scissors and short sleeve shirts.

ZARK is offline Senior Member
    Delaware Valley, From King of Prussia to Washington Twp N.J.

Quote Originally Posted by Phillyxpat View Post
    1925 CONTENTdm Collection : Item Viewer

This is a bit late for Fatherís Day but it only occurred to me this morning that the boys in the above photo were of an age to match my late father when this photo was taken. It also fits in the hanging on the street corner theme I believe even if it is in a mini-park. The picture is a bit grainy but the gesture of the boy to the left suggests a cigarette in hand at mouth.

The smoking end of the photo reminds me of my dadís lifetime two pack a day habit of Lucky Strikes. Of note I can remember being four or five and going down to the corner grocery store in the late fifties with $.26 to buy him a pack of cigarettes and they did not card me. Ha Ha.

On the fashion theme I see these young men in the photo are wearing short pants or knickers. I donít know which term was correct in Philly at the time. The short pants were I believe a carryover of when men wore breeches as in the case of George Washington etc.

Also of note, I see one of the boys wearing a sleeve garter. I can remember my dad mentioning that in the old days, the white shirts were wool and would shrink with every washing. So shirts were bought with many sizes too large to accommodate long term wear before passing them along as a hand me down to a younger sibling or cousin (recycling) and the sleeve garters helped to keep your cuffs from going down to your knees. Of course if the sleeves got too short there were always scissors and short sleeve shirts.
    Yes lets bring back the knickers style breeches.. funny about the sleeve garter, back when I was in grade school in the early 60s, there was one boy who always wore those sleeve garters. It was a parochial school and we all wore white shirts and ties, but the sleeve garter!, to top it off nobody ever razzed him on it.

Ptolemy is offline Member
    Spruce Hill, University City, Philadelphia.

Ummm ... long ago, in the days before Woody's or Uncle's or The Venture Inn some of us guys had to do our "cruising" on the streets ...

darthsinatra is offline Senior Member

That's it I'm going out right now for a snappy set of sleeve garters and a pack of Luckys.

Last edited by Phillyxpat; 06-25-2012 at 07:02 PM.

Friends and or siblings, circa 1910, on lot at 12th and Susquehanna Avenue, Philadelphia.

Poised in front of distant row houses, 1129-1127 W. Colona Street.

Not quite a street corner but an empty lot, hanging out for a photo shot, the close up of which had to perhaps wait a hundred years for some to see.