Register
+ Reply to Thread
    ecochuck is offline Senior Member

Default Is Autism Caused by a Vitamin D Deficiency?

Can autism be caused by a lack of vitamin D in the pregnant mother and/or in the baby? This information comes from a nude dancer by the name of Summer and Tom, the drunk at the local bar. That is how you know that it is reliable. Just kidding! Bill Gates has said that anyone online has the same power that he has to change the world!

The U.S. National Library of Medicine says:
    CONCLUSION:

Vitamin D deficiency--either during pregnancy or early childhood--may be an environmental trigger for ASD [autism spectrum disorder] in individuals genetically predisposed for the broad phenotype of autism. On the basis of the results of the present review, we argue for the recognition of this possibly important role of vitamin D in ASD, and for urgent research in the field.

So they are saying that this should be studied extensively and when they are absolutely sure about it, it should be studied some more.

Psychology Today has an article called Autism and Vitamin D. It says (only #2 out of 8 reasons is quoted):

In recent years we have been told to avoid the sun. Anyone reading women's magazines, in fact, will have been advised to put on sunscreen on face and hands "just in case" as those few moments walking from the car to the workplace or grocery store might be enough to cause aging and cancer cells to go nuts in our vulnerable skin.

We slather on sunscreen and sunblock, which for the most part completely blocks the UVB sun rays that increase our cancer protective vitamin D and allows in some cancer causing UVA - to me that sounds like a silly thing to do!

Could a lack of sunshine and suboptimal amounts of vitamin D be a possible cause of autism spectrum disease in our children?

2) Vitamin D is likely central to brain development as a key helper in neural development and neuroprotection. In addition, autism is likely mediated by inflammation, and vitamin D is a key player in anti-inflammatory processes. Also, vitamin D enables glutathione, the "master antioxidant," clear our system of free radicals, and glutathione also acts as a chelating agent to bind toxic heavy metals such as mercury, which kids with autism have a tough time clearing from their systems.

So now you know who to contact if you disagree with the above. I did not mention my opinion which may or may not be that I am an idiot and do not believe anything that I read. So you can say that I am asking Is Autism Caused by a Vitamin D Deficiency. Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) is a proposed revision to the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders 5 (DSM-5), which will be released in May 2013.
    Last edited by ecochuck; 10-12-2012 at 10:09 PM.
    For more information on avoiding stress see How to Avoid Stress.

drala is offline Senior Member

I think it is much more likely that the toxins we are dumping every day in to our air and water have more consequence