Register
+ Reply to Thread
    ecochuck is offline Senior Member

Default New Study Shows the More Salt You Eat, the Longer You Live

This study shows that salt is great for health so eat all the potato chips and pretzels that you want. It is by an M.D.

Jacob Teitelbaum, M.D.: Salt, Not So Bad for You After All?
    The folks with the highest urinary sodium levels -- a sign of a higher dietary intake of salt -- had the lowest risk of developing heart disease. Looked at another way, the low-sodium folks had four times the rate of dying from heart disease, compared to the high-salt folks.
    The highest had the lowest. Salt intake inversely proportional to risk of developing heart disease. Does anyone see a flaw in this study?
    Last edited by ecochuck; 08-02-2011 at 12:56 AM.
    For more information on avoiding stress see How to Avoid Stress.

daninpa is online now Cheesesteak GURU!

Um.

The study says that restricting salt may be bad for your health. Nowhere does it say to eat as much salt as you want. I'd take whatever you post with a grain of salt anyway.

I just inserted a quote from the article above.

"The folks with the highest urinary sodium levels -- a sign of a higher dietary intake of salt -- had the lowest risk of developing heart disease. Looked at another way, the low-sodium folks had four times the rate of dying from heart disease, compared to the high-salt folks."

Just How Bad is Salt for You
    Last edited by ecochuck; 08-02-2011 at 02:22 PM.

toxigal is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by ecochuck View Post
    I just inserted a quote from the study.

"The folks with the highest urinary sodium levels -- a sign of a higher dietary intake of salt -- had the lowest risk of developing heart disease. Looked at another way, the low-sodium folks had four times the rate of dying from heart disease, compared to the high-salt folks."
    really? that is a quote from the study? the authors of this scientific paper really said "the folks"???

no, they didn't. i just skimmed the actual research paper, as published in JAMA and the world "folks" does not appear at all. the author of the NEWS ARTICLE said that. not the paper itself. i suspect you don't understand the difference between a news article and a scientific paper, especially since you think that the person who wrote the piece for the huffington post is the same as the people who did the study. Dr. Teitelbaum was not involved in the research project at all.

the researchers did not monitor salt intake at all. they looked at sodium excretion in urine. It is possible that people with high sodium levels in their urine are more efficient at removing salt from their blood and that could explain why they have better outcomes.

Also from the conclusions of the study:

"However, they [the results of this study] do not negate the bloodpressure−lowering effects of a dietary salt reduction in hypertensive patients."

LUCas is offline Senior Member

Oh..you were being facetious. I didn't realize that since your post was just as credible, believable, and accurate as all your others.
    "I am a <banned> liar." -Mr.Brightside

longtimephilly is offline Senior Member

I just inserted a quote from the study.

Guess you stopped reading at the title?

Quote Originally Posted by From the same article
    What did the study researchers have to say about the low-salt pronouncements of U.S. heart honchos? Yes, they agree, salt restriction may be a good idea if you already have high blood pressure or congestive heart failure.
    Just some info for you to take in next time you half read and slap up an article:

CDC - DHDSP - High Blood Pressure Facts

Quote Originally Posted by My Link
    America's High Blood Pressure Burden

About one out of three U.S. adults—31.3%—has high blood pressure.1
    High blood pressure is a major risk factor for heart disease, stroke, congestive heart failure, and kidney disease.
    High blood pressure was listed as a primary or contributing cause of death for 326,000 Americans in 2006.2
    In 2010, high blood pressure will cost the United States $76.6 billion in health care services, medications, and missed days of work.2
    About 70% of those with high blood pressure and took medication had their high blood pressure controlled. The control rate was 46.6% among all hypertensive patients.
    25% of American adults has prehypertension—blood pressure numbers that are higher than normal, but not yet in the high blood pressure range.2 Prehypertension raises your risk for high blood pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by toxigal View Post
    really? that is a quote from the study? the authors of this scientific paper really said "the folks"???
    I corrected this typo. Article, not study.

no, they didn't. i just skimmed the actual research paper, as published in JAMA and the world "folks"
    Typo needs correcting-- word not world.

the researchers did not monitor salt intake at all they looked at sodium excretion in urine. It is possible that people with high sodium levels in their urine are more efficient at removing salt from their blood and that could explain why they have better outcomes.
    You found the flaw in the study! A month before that article they had an article about a big study that said that low potassium and high sodium is much worse than just high sodium. More potassium in diet makes the body more efficient at getting rid of sodium. Wikipedia says:
    The sodium-potassium pump was discovered in the 1950s by a Danish scientist, Jens Christian Skou, who was awarded a Nobel Prize in 1997.

In order to maintain the cell membrane potential, cells must keep a low concentration of sodium ions and high levels of potassium ions within the cell (intracellular).
    Last edited by ecochuck; 08-02-2011 at 02:30 PM.

toxigal is offline Senior Member

I corrected this typo. Article, not study.

Typo needs correcting-- word not world.
    world-word : typo

Study - Article: Not a typo

Mr Morley is offline Banned

Recently-discovered pic of Ecochuck:

JesseP is offline Junior Member

It is an vice story of eating less sugar
    I have read an article about the research in china about eating less sugar makes you live longer

longtimephilly is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by JesseP View Post
    It is an vice story of eating less sugar
    I have read an article about the research in china about eating less sugar makes you live longer
    Um, Salt is not Sugar. Pour some salt on your corn flakes to discover this sad, sad, truth.

3rd&Brown is offline Senior Member

Everything in moderation. It's not that difficult people.

And get off your asses and exercise. Got it?

Tartan69 is offline Pawn in game of life

I live for Ecochuck posts!