Register
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Freckles is offline Senior Member

Default Philly Marathon/Half Marathon

Is anyone running this year?

It's my first half marathon and I'm excited but also a little nervous because I'm not sure what to expect.

Alley is offline Senior Member

It will be my first full marathon unless I chicken out and only do the 1/2. I am excited and nervous too. Nervous because I run for mental and physical health. My runs are for fun never worry about pace. Because I enjoy long runs following a training program has not been a problem. My goal if I follow through and do the full is to finish.

I'm not really a race person, but doing some once in awhile keeps one motivated! I have done a few 1/2's and Broad Street. The crowds in Philly are the best! You will have a great time.

Do you run with friends or any groups in Philly currently? I run with South Philly Striders and Fishtown Beer Runners.

I'm definitely not worrying about my pace either, I just want to finish (pretty sure I will, unless I injure myself between now and then). I've always run but was never a runner, if that makes sense. I could do 3 miles here and there just fine, but never liked it. Starting training for this, got over some mental hurdles, and really enjoy it now.

I was running with my husband but he's injured so he can't do the half with me. Other than that, not really. I keep wanting to try some running groups (I'm close to Manayunk and Fairmount running clubs) but have been really busy with school and work.

Best of luck to you. Sounds like you can do the full with no problem!

Marty B. is offline Senior Member

I've never run the Philly Half or Full; I did do the Philadephia Distance Run last year (before it became the Philadelphia Rock n' Roll Half Marathon). I understand the big difference between the Philly half and the Philadelphia Distance Run courses is that the Philly half has a significant hill about halfway into the course. But if you've been running in Manayunk, that shouldn't be an issue.

For the past year I've actually been working on my speed for much shorter distances (1.5-2 miles). I've just started gradually building up my distance base again while keeping my speed. I'm planning on doing the Y12k for fun next month. Then schedule permitting do Broad Street, the race that was formerly known as the Philadelphia Distance Run that I will not call the Philadelphia Rock N' Roll Half Marathon, and maybe the Marathon (will decide on that this summer).

I've never run with a group because of my schedule too.

Freckles, Hope the training is going well. Post an update after you finish your first 1/2! In case I forget to post again have fun and make your goal to finish!

BTW, I'm 99.9% certain I'll be running my first full. I did a 20 mile training run this past weekend that I was comfortable with. Everyone in the groups (South Philly Striders and Fishtown Beer Runners) I run with are so supportive so I probably need to go for it before I get too old!

MetalDeth81 is offline Senior Member

I'll be doing the half-marathon. I've done a number of 5ks and 5milers over the years but this will be my first jump to the +10mile club.

I hate the 5k enjoy the longer distances at a slower pace.

MetalDeth81 good luck to you running your first 1/2!!!

jre
    jre is offline Senior Member

My wife and I are doing the full marathon for the first time. We did last year's half and this year's Rock and Roll, last two Broad Street Runs too. I'll finish, dunno how fast though. Interestingly enough, I weigh more now than I did when I start training 6 months ago.

We've been running with Philly Fit that just does Saturday morning long runs out in Oaks. Beautiful trails.

http://www.phillyfit.net/

jre, I give you credit running with your wife. My husband would never run long distances with me. He is great showing up for me at the end though. I have to be careful not to run too fast though he does not like to get up early on the weekends. Of course, that is a non issue for me my goal is to finish the marathon even if I have to start crawling and they are closing the course with me still on it!

Similiar situation here with weight not much more, but you would think I would have lost some. A few runners friends had warned me to watch what I eat the more miles I started adding. The thing is I'm not doing as many fitness type classes once I started marathon training. After the marathon I'll still do long runs, but I have to get back to jump in jacks, push ups, spinning, weights, etc.!

jre

Ever watch Nova's marathon challenge?

NOVA | Marathon Challenge | PBS

They took a bunch of people not even close to athletic and they all ran marathons. I remember thinking that was really neat even before my wife dared me to run one. I found it good motivation.

Re: the weight gain - I've experienced the same thing. I gained 6-8 pounds but have had no noticeable physical changes, clothes all still fit or are loose. Some research on the issue reveals that storing glycogen for the longer runs is probably the culprit. And, of course, building muscle mass.

Less than 3 weeks!!

[QUOTE=jre;289151]Ever watch Nova's marathon challenge?

NOVA | Marathon Challenge | PBS

QUOTE]

Never saw it, thanks for the link I'll check it out. Already read the 10 tips on the site interesting.

Well, with less than a week to go I'm dealing with an IT Band issue! Ugh I might not be running at all! I'm trying to stay positive. Figured I would post to tell you first timers to run a little extra harder for me in case I cannot run on race day!

jre

Is it really bad? You could just bail and do the half. My left calf is tight. Who knows what that means. You can always keep training through the winter. The inaugural Gettysburg marathon is May 1.

The Gettysburg North-South Marathon

Well, I just got a foam roller and already it is feeling a bit better. Could be that I am mentally feeling better! I have not tried to run yet though. If I had to I could speed walk the full marathon. My worst fear of being the very last person to finish would come true, but hey I least I would have completed my goal. For now it will be rest, ice, compression, elevation, foam roller and prayers with fingers crossed. My plan is to not make a final decision about running until the day of.

Calf stretches like wall push ups, standing on your toes, etc. should help you. I use this thing called a running stick that works great too.

Aw I hope you feel better and get to run, Alley!

I strained my quadriceps (self-diagnosed) about 3 weeks ago but am pushing through. I will be heading to the doctor first thing on the 22nd, but for now am sucking it up, even if it means I'm limp-running for the first 2 miles until I get warmed up and it doesn't hurt so much.

jre

6 months ago I wanted to hit 3:40 and then prep for a Boston qualifier. Now I'm just looking to survive it. Life sooooo gets in the way of marathon training. Now my strategy is to maintain till I hit 19 miles and turn around at the end of Manyunk's Main Street. After that, it's 7 miles with every step getting a little closer to home.

Unfortunately the wife is really hyped on the Gettysburg Marathon. Then she's talking about spending our anniversary doing the San Diego Marathon in June. I should just hit the finish line next week and light up my first cigarette in three years. That'd be an awesome photo.

Marty B. is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by jre View Post
    6 months ago I wanted to hit 3:40 and then prep for a Boston qualifier. Now I'm just looking to survive it. Life sooooo gets in the way of marathon training. Now my strategy is to maintain till I hit 19 miles and turn around at the end of Manyunk's Main Street. After that, it's 7 miles with every step getting a little closer to home.

Unfortunately the wife is really hyped on the Gettysburg Marathon. Then she's talking about spending our anniversary doing the San Diego Marathon in June. I should just hit the finish line next week and light up my first cigarette in three years. That'd be an awesome photo.
    Not speaking as someone who's done one but knowing quite a few who've done quite a few, 2-3 marathons in your first year of marathon running may be a bit much, noting your distance race base prior to this one. That is, if you guys really want running to be a long term component to your life. If your spouse really wants to maintain the high, maybe coax her into a cross training endurance event. There are lots of triathalons out there, including in Philadelphia, where the foot portion is in the half marathon or under range.

As for me, it looks like running any more philly distance races aren't in the cards for me. Tuesday, I'll be seeing how many miles I can put under me running an hour (not gonna/shouldn't push, I'll be happy if I break over six), then how many more I can put on backpacking a 50# load for another hour, and that will probably be the last significant endurance workout I'll be doing in the city (maybe after I'm done clomping in boots, I'll finish up with that Lorenzo's and Jim's South Street challenge). Then, if all goes well, I get to learn how to run San Francisco hills in the spring. Did eight miles out there when training for the last Philadelphia Distance Run. Uphill's the easy part, downhill is the problem. I'm told running down "switchback" style is the way you do it without falling or hurting your knees or toes. Any advice from anyone who runs that big hill out in Manayunk?
    Last edited by Marty B.; 11-13-2010 at 11:11 PM.

jre

Quote Originally Posted by Marty B. View Post
    Not speaking as someone who's done one but knowing quite a few who've done quite a few, 2-3 marathons in your first year of marathon running may be a bit much, noting your distance race base prior to this one. That is, if you guys really want running to be a long term component to your life. If your spouse really wants to maintain the high, maybe coax her into a cross training endurance event. There are lots of triathalons out there, including in Philadelphia, where the foot portion is in the half marathon or under range.
    We really haven't had to amp up our weekly mileage that much. For two years we used to run the loop at Kelly drive 4 times a week and did a longish run on the weekends. We've average 25-30 miles for a pretty long time. Even when we did our 21 mile run, it just added up to a weekly total of 40. With the group we run with, there are a lot of 40 or so women that just take up marathon running. It's actually pretty impressive. It seems common to get 2 or 3 in during the first year.

Until we actually get one under our belts, other marathons are just pillow talk. It might just be a phase, who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by jre View Post
    With the group we run with, there are a lot of 40 or so women that just take up marathon running. It's actually pretty impressive.
    I laughed when I read that I am in my mid 40's and attempting to run my first marathon. Thing is I'm not fast, but enjoy running long distances. It will probably sound weird it is relaxing running long alone. When with a group running long it is sooo much fun and a cheap few social hours out!

I am going for it this weekend! IT Band issue may flare up during the run I'll deal with it when it happens. If you see a sad girl sitting on the curb crying it might be me if I have to drop out!

Have a great run Philly Speaks members running the 1/2 and full!!!!