Register
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    MEDUSA is offline Banned

Default FRANCE AND Al QAIDA

So the 2013 starts with a serious war in Mali/Africa .......

France to send more troops to join Mali offensive - CNN.com

France’s President Francois Hollande delivers a speech on the situation in Mali at the Elysee Palace in Paris, Friday, Jan. 11, 2013. French forces began backing Malian soldiers Friday in their fight against radical Islamists, drawing the former colonial power into a military operation to oust the al-Qaida-linked militants nine months after they seized control of northern Mali. French President Francois

France raises domestic terror threat level after military strikes in Mali, Somalia - The Washington Post

U.S. weighs military support for France’s campaign against Mali militants - The Washington Post

The Obama administration is considering significant military backing for France’s drive against al-Qaeda-linked militants in Mali, but its support for a major ally could test U.S. legal boundaries and stretch counterterrorism resources in a murky new conflict.

The United States is already providing surveillance and other intelligence help to France and may soon offer military support such as transport or refueling planes, according to U.S. officials, who stressed that any assistance would stop short of sending American combat forces to the volatile West African nation.
    Last edited by MEDUSA; 01-16-2013 at 12:37 AM.

MEDUSA is offline Banned

ok I edited this twice ..but that crappy software doesn't work ..however ..it is "FRANCE" and not FARNCE

Gladys is offline Senior Member

Eh yeah once you put in a title it sticks, misspellings and all. I learned that the hard way too!
    "If you're going to tell people the truth, you better make them laugh; otherwise they'll kill you."
    - attributed to both George Bernard Shaw & Oscar Wilde

"I never clean up after my dogs, because I have trained them to run with me off leash while I ride my bike the wrong way on the sidewalk."
    - LUCas
    Originally Posted by Dave L We need to focus on banning both singers who crap on the sidewalk and dogs that annoy people with their singing. - Mondo

MEDUSA is offline Banned

Hostages and some Americans escape from terrorist group pinned down at Algerian gas complex, officials say | Fox News

Thursday from an Al Qaeda-linked group who are now pinned down in an Algerian natural gas complex in the Sahara desert, according to Algerian and U.S. officials.

A senior U.S. official tells Fox News that at least one unarmed US drone is patrolling the Ain Amenas gas plant to provide intelligence on the situation. At least 20 gunmen attacked and took over the vast complex early Wednesday in retaliation for France's military intervention against Al Qaeda-linked rebels in neighboring Mali. Militants phoned Mauritanian media to say one of its affiliates had carried out the operation and that France should end its intervention in Mali to ensure the safety of the hostages.

Read more: Hostages and some Americans escape from terrorist group pinned down at Algerian gas complex, officials say | Fox News

NickTheCage is offline Banned

Lol ... they needed British transport planes to fly their troops over there.

Fcuken frogs and their white hankies

OffenseTaken is offline Junior Dilettante

Quote Originally Posted by NickTheCage View Post
    Lol ... they needed British transport planes to fly their troops over there.

Fcuken frogs and their white hankies
    It's hard to see how the French are surrendering, when the attack planes are French and the troops are French.

Sure, France doesn't have an aircraft with the C-17's payload, but the UK does. The UK doesn't have an aircraft carrier, but France does. Allies help each other out. Badda bing, badda boom.

five apples is offline Deacon Blues

Quote Originally Posted by OffenseTaken View Post
    It's hard to see how the French are surrendering, when the attack planes are French and the troops are French.

Sure, France doesn't have an aircraft with the C-17's payload, but the UK does. The UK doesn't have an aircraft carrier, but France does. Allies help each other out. Badda bing, badda boom.
    Yeah, but they smell bad and lost a big war 70 years ago. Unlike the USA, who rock and love freedom and are totally winning all of our wars of late. I mean, the French couldn't even win in Vietnam. Bunch of cheese eaters. Now where did I put my freedom fries.
    "No one wanted to be mayor of Philadelphia. It was a thankless job, which for the first 56 years offered an annual salary of zero. In 1745, two men turned down the position and instead accepted large fines. In 1747, Anthony Morris fled to Bucks County to hide and thus avoid notification of his election. After Morris’s disappearance, a new election was held, and William Atwood was re-elected."

MEDUSA is offline Banned

ahh I wish the title of this thread could be corrected ..I guess Malloy is the only one who can do this ...

Yes ...les pommes de terre frites il sont tres bon ...vive la France ...

30 hostages killed? Algerian hostage event over, casualties still uncertain

30 hostages were killed, Reuters is reporting. Other sources have wildly different casualty estimates, but all agree that hostages were killed in the attempt to rescue oil workers.

http://www.csmonitor.com/World/2013/...till-uncertain

Quote Originally Posted by MEDUSA View Post
    ahh I wish the title of this thread could be corrected ..I guess Malloy is the only one who can do this ...

Yes ...les pommes de terre frites il sont tres bon ...vive la France ...

30 hostages killed? Algerian hostage event over, casualties still uncertain

30 hostages were killed, Reuters is reporting. Other sources have wildly different casualty estimates, but all agree that hostages were killed in the attempt to rescue oil workers.

30 hostages killed? Algerian hostage event over, casualties still uncertain - CSMonitor.com
    First Libya and now Mali. France seems to think it needs to take the lead in North Africa once again. After what happened to them when they last stepped into Algeria in the 90s, I am frankly surprised. Maybe Libya went a little too well. Mali and Libya though are not the same, and I am not sure they are aware of the quagmire they might have just stepped into.

I understand Obama's fear of involving the United States in another conflict in a far away and complex place, but I am disappointed in his seeming total lack of wanting to take any sort of leadership role in what has clearly become a terrorist state in Northern Mali. A region filled with unstable countries with large disenchanted Muslim populations.

Despite what your typical yahoos like Nick think, the French do have one of the best equipped and trained armies in the world. But it is certainly not the US army, and they have been forced to cut the budget drastically in the last few years. If the US has struggled so greatly in Afghanistan, I am not sure what kind of success the French can have in Mali. It is a situation that could certainly deteriorate badly, and have an impact that could be felt here. If you count a dead American hostage in Algeria, well than you can say it already has.
    "No one wanted to be mayor of Philadelphia. It was a thankless job, which for the first 56 years offered an annual salary of zero. In 1745, two men turned down the position and instead accepted large fines. In 1747, Anthony Morris fled to Bucks County to hide and thus avoid notification of his election. After Morris’s disappearance, a new election was held, and William Atwood was re-elected."

Marquis is offline Banned

Quote Originally Posted by five apples View Post
    Yeah, but they smell bad and lost a big war 70 years ago. Unlike the USA, who rock and love freedom and are totally winning all of our wars of late. I mean, the French couldn't even win in Vietnam. Bunch of cheese eaters. Now where did I put my freedom fries.

Giavella Water is offline Senior Member

I don't understand why France has to send in troops to it's former colonies every time the 'children' start to act up. These countries gained their independence years go right? Let THEM sort out their own problems.

MEDUSA is offline Banned

Algerian Army Secures Complex; 23 Hostages Reported Dead - WSJ.com

Speaking in London U.S. Defense Secretary Leon Panetta said: "We know lives have been lost," and that U.S. was "trying to stay informed." British defense secretary Philip Hammond said the hostage situation "has now been brought to an end by further assault by Algerian forces that has resulted in further loss of life."

"Just as we cannot accept terrorist attacks against our cities, we cannot accept attacks against our citizens and our interests abroad," Mr. Panetta said. "Neither we can accept an al Qaeda safe haven anywhere in the world."

AsYouWere is offline Banned

Quite the complicated equation as regards carriers but in it's simplest form the UK and Australia do have carriers - US flagged - as we're joined at the hip with those two allies. Most French have a very low esteem for the US and as such only their location plays into our national interest while US esteem for France is also very low.

The UK has Diego Garcia (a must see on Earth) which is leased to the US and is a full-service port for any carrier group with a runway for the largest transport aircraft. We paid a port call there once for a quick practice beach landing but at the time I didn't appreciate the place though I could see living out the rest of my days there now.

Just saying France is out of the loop and anything we do in Africa isn't for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Giavella Water View Post
    I don't understand why France has to send in troops to it's former colonies every time the 'children' start to act up. These countries gained their independence years go right? Let THEM sort out their own problems.
    When Islamists take over a remote, dirt-poor country, their problems become ours sooner or later (see also Sudan, Afghanistan, Yemen). It sucks, but it's true.

I mean, it's not like France is trying to hold on to Malian rubber plantations or anything. They're doing what France constantly gets accused of not doing, which is shouldering some of the burden in defending the West from a shared threat.

Quote Originally Posted by AsYouWere View Post
    Quite the complicated equation as regards carriers but in it's simplest form the UK and Australia do have carriers - US flagged - as we're joined at the hip with those two allies. Most French have a very low esteem for the US and as such only their location plays into our national interest while US esteem for France is also very low.

The UK has Diego Garcia (a must see on Earth) which is leased to the US and is a full-service port for any carrier group with a runway for the largest transport aircraft. We paid a port call there once for a quick practice beach landing but at the time I didn't appreciate the place though I could see living out the rest of my days there now.
    Interesting stuff, but this seems to confirm my point, which is that allies help each other out when they have shared interests. Unless it's because of the natural superiority of Anglo-Saxon civilization, I don't see why France is singled out as some kind of deadbeat for using two British C-17's on an important mission, when NATO countries use each other's equipment all the time.

As for French low esteem of the US: you're either lying or you've been seriously misinformed.

AsYouWere is offline Banned

As for French low esteem of the US: you're either lying or you've been seriously misinformed.
    Was that the French that denied our flyover after the Lockerbie disaster?

Yo them Frenchies are honoring Ira Einhorn and Abu Jamal to this day, both convicted murderers, which is enough for me. Aside from that France is just a backwater country without any real influence. Look at how hard it was to get Einhorn back.

MEDUSA is offline Banned

Giavella Water is offline Senior Member

Yo them Frenchies are honoring Ira Einhorn and Abu Jamal to this day, both convicted murderers, which is enough for me. Aside from that France is just a backwater country without any real influence. Look at how hard it was to get Einhorn back.
    Don't forget the French harboring convicted child rapist movie director Roman Polanski.

Marquis is offline Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Giavella Water View Post
    I don't understand international politics either.

It is posts like this that convince me you are a troll.