Register
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Dave is offline Seņor Member

Default There Is An Election On November 5th 2013

FYI, since so many people didn't seem to know about the primary a while back.

Committee of Seventy: November 5 PA Races and Candidates

The current City Controller sucks, the DA has issues and both Republican challengers seem like decent, qualified candidates.
    Welcome to Philadelphia. Here's how you can help us make our great city even better:

* Write to your elected officials
    * Report suspicious activity to the police department
    * Is there an abandoned/nuisance property in your neighborhood? See if it is tax delinquent. If so, maybe you can force it to go to sheriff's sale.

Philadelinquency.com - The Underbelly of Philadelphia Real Estate

Hospitalitygirl is offline Moderator

Bump.

This deserves to be seen. As often as possible.
    I am not the Jackass Whisperer.

seand is offline Senior Member

Any thing percieved as a bad showing for Controller Butkowitz is going to help take the wind out of his sales for his plans to run for mayor in 2015. Since he is really one of the most terrible candidates in a field of less than impressive options, vote against him now to slow him down in the future, even if the chance of Tracey actually winning is quite slim.

What is good about the challenger for DA?

Also aren't there some ballot iniatives?

qweezyq is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by seand View Post
    Any thing percieved as a bad showing for Controller Butkowitz is going to help take the wind out of his sales for his plans to run for mayor in 2015. Since he is really one of the most terrible candidates in a field of less than impressive options, vote against him now to slow him down in the future, even if the chance of Tracey actually winning is quite slim.

What is good about the challenger for DA?

Also aren't there some ballot iniatives?
    As a policy, i don't vote for a candidate that can't take the time to fill out a questionnaire

Quote Originally Posted by qweezyq View Post
    As a policy, i don't vote for a candidate that can't take the time to fill out a questionnaire
    Sure. It might be helpful if you mentioned which candidate, questionaire you are refering to. For any citywide race there are probably 30 or 40 questionaires from just the major groups so I'm not positive which one you are referring to.

OffenseTaken is offline Junior Dilettante

Sure. It might be helpful if you mentioned which candidate, questionaire you are refering to. For any citywide race there are probably 30 or 40 questionaires from just the major groups so I'm not positive which one you are referring to.
    Pretty sure s/he's referring to the DA race, which you were asking about. R. Seth Williams didn't bother to fill out the Seventy questionnaire.

Dunno how much good you're demanding of his challenger, but not being R. Seth Williams alone makes him a pretty persuasive candidate.

Ablak is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by qweezyq View Post
    i appriciate this if this policy exists.It will help people to choose a perfect.

qweezyq is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by OffenseTaken View Post
    Pretty sure s/he's referring to the DA race, which you were asking about. R. Seth Williams didn't bother to fill out the Seventy questionnaire.

Dunno how much good you're demanding of his challenger, but not being R. Seth Williams alone makes him a pretty persuasive candidate.
    correct

OK anything besides not being Seth Williams?

With Tracy I feel like there has been an effort at a real campaign. I see signs up around town. I've seen him out and about trying to raise specific issues. Literally until this thread, I was not sure if there even was someone running on the Republican ticket for D.A. this year. It hasn't been a real high profile campaign.

fiveomar is offline Senior Member

I'm considering voting straight Republican (or 3rd party) this time, no matter the candidate- just to disturb the city officials' sense of unchecked power, which has led to rampant corruption/collusion.

raider.adam is offline Senior Member

OK anything besides not being Seth Williams?

With Tracy I feel like there has been an effort at a real campaign. I see signs up around town. I've seen him out and about trying to raise specific issues. Literally until this thread, I was not sure if there even was someone running on the Republican ticket for D.A. this year. It hasn't been a real high profile campaign.
    Much of the time Alvarez has been door knocking with Tracy. They have both been out aggressively knocking on doors.

Quote Originally Posted by fiveomar View Post
    I'm considering voting straight Republican (or 3rd party) this time, no matter the candidate- just to disturb the city officials' sense of unchecked power, which has led to rampant corruption/collusion.
    Good. The other point to remember is that if neither candidate gets the really fat victory they're both expecting, it will hopefully dampen g both of their future mayoral runs. Frankly, in a sea of piss-poor candidates for mayor, these two might be about the worst of all.

Quote Originally Posted by raider.adam View Post
    Much of the time Alvarez has been door knocking with Tracy. They have both been out aggressively knocking on doors.
    Sorry. I wasn't trying to put down his efforts. I was fishing for "I like his position on X . . ."

What are the ballot initiatives?

Sorry. I wasn't trying to put down his efforts. I was fishing for "I like his position on X . . ."

What are the ballot initiatives?
    Issues - Danny Alvarez for DA

Why I Am Running:

(1) Public Corruption—little is being done by the current administration. Public corruption is a safety issue because it diverts tax dollars from public safety. Every dime that is wasted in public corruption is a dime that is later converted into a bullet used out on our streets. Corruption enables another burglary, robbery and assault. As district attorney I will expand the investigation and prosecution of public corruption. In so, millions will be saved that can then be used to make our families safer. I will not wait until an election year to act. Rather, I will act on day one. Public officials should have to play by the same rules as you and I. No more free passes for politicians or for anyone in government.

(2) Mismanagement of the district attorney’s office—currently significant amounts of tax dollars are wasted on needless positions that have nothing to do with the prosecution of crime. By wasting your tax dollars on positions such as “director of employee enrichment,” the DA’s excessive personal security detail, consultants that do very little, etc., resources are being diverted away from hiring more prosecutors that fight crime and make us safer. The current waste at the district attorney’s office is not only a serious mismanagement of your money, it is a deadly one, as well. As district attorney I will eliminate every needless position that does not go toward combatting crime and corruption.

(3) Illegal Possession of firearms—increased penalties for the illegal possession of firearms is proven to reduce violent crime in New York City. As district attorney I will push for and support tough mandatory sentences on offenders who illegally possess firearms. This will force offenders to think twice before taking an illegal firearm out onto our streets. Tough mandatory sentences will be a strong deterrent to crime and make our streets safer.
    And Sean...I'm surprised at you. You are fairly adept at using the computer to search for things, you could have easily done this yourself.

As to Danny Alvarez's point regarding municipal corruption, he is absolutely correct. Blondell Reynolds Brown should be charged for what's she has done.

raider.adam is offline Senior Member

Here is the sample ballot, available on the Commissioner's website.

http://www.philadelphiavotes.com/files/COMMON.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by raider.adam View Post
    Here is the sample ballot, available on the Commissioner's website.

http://www.philadelphiavotes.com/files/COMMON.pdf
    I see the city is again borrowing a ton of money, without providing much detail as to what they plan to do with it.
    Welcome to Philadelphia. Here's how you can help us make our great city even better:

* Is there an abandoned/nuisance property in your neighborhood? See if it is tax delinquent. If so, maybe you can force it to go to sheriff's sale.

Exigius12point5 is online now Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    I see the city is again borrowing a ton of money, without providing much detail as to what they plan to do with it.
    Well, somebody's got to spend it!
    All those orders of take-out and stuff, ya know.
    And of course those needed expenditures like gasoline, vehicle use, etc.
    That's why we residents are working, ya know.
    To keep them in the lap of luxury that they're accustomed to.

Do I hear any nay's?
    The loud roar of denial between your ears makes it impossible for you to hear the truth.

NickleDimer is offline Senior Member

What is an election? I thought that whole government thing went the way of Circuit City.

OffenseTaken is offline Junior Dilettante

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    How fortunate that the city's voters are bound to pick up on this insult to their intelligence, and vote the initiative down by an overwhelming majority.

Quote Originally Posted by OffenseTaken View Post
    How fortunate that the city's voters are bound to pick up on this insult to their intelligence, and vote the initiative down by an overwhelming majority.
    To be fair, there is *somewhat* more detailed information available, in the form of a bill, the number of which council didn't see fit to include in the language of the ballot question.

This link came through Commissioner Al Schmidt's official FB page:

http://www.philadelphiavotes.com/fil...hStatement.pdf

Which contains a more detailed explanation about what types of uses the city borrows money for, along with a reference to the council bill that created the ballot question (130485). I then used this bill number to look up the language of the bill itself:

https://phila.legistar.com/View.ashx...3-DF045B43A760

I didn't read through the entire bill, but it appears to merely break down the amount of money that is expected to be allocated to each of the stated uses, without providing specific detail:

Transit $ 1,070,000.00
    Streets and Sanitation $ 18,448,000.00
    Municipal Buildings $ 44,599,000.00
    Parks, Recreation and Museums $ 18,816,000.00
    Economic and Community Development $ 11,812,000.00
    Total $ 94,745,000.00

I assume we would have to go to the appropriate city departments to get details on how they would spend the money allocated to them if the question is approved and the money borrowed.
    Last edited by Dave; 10-09-2013 at 04:44 PM.