Register
+ Reply to Thread
    NE19124 is offline Banned

Default Winterizing an Intext above groun pool. ( non-metal frame)

Sorry mean "Intex".
    I was told that you can winterize this type of pool without taking it down for the winter.
    Does anyone have one of these type of pools and keep them up? If so, how do you
    winterize?
    Last edited by NE19124; 09-06-2011 at 08:57 AM. Reason: mistypes the type of pool meant Intex.

Tidelaw343 is offline Junior Member

I'd talk to someone at a pool shop before I left that up all winter. That seems iffy, as the warning I see always says "take it down if it drops below 32 in the winter". The liner of the Intex pools is a good bit thinner than a "permanent" above-ground pool, and I wonder what the winterizing chemicals would do to one. I'm also kinda interested to see what they'd do to the paper filters Intex uses. That, coupled with snow and ice weighing on top and surrounding it...just looks like too many chances for this thing to get weighed down and pop or spring a leak.

They're not so difficult to take down (dip a coiled-up garden hose in the water, then drag one end to the street to start a siphon to get the water out), nor are they incredibly expensive to refill next spring. Given the time it takes to take one down and reset it next spring vs. how much they cost, I'd just take it down.

NOTE: I had a "permanent" above ground pool up until this summer. It was a month-long fight against algae and dirty water to get it ready for the season. The liner had torn over the winter, and we replaced it with a metal-frame Intex pool from Walmart. Three hours to set up, a day to fill, then when we were done, I let it drain to the street over a weekend and broke it down yesterday afternoon. Sooo much easier, and we never had problems with water clarity.

this is my second season with it and did everything you said with draining it with garden hoses, etc and its a pain to take down and set up. My sister in S. Jersey had the exact same one and let it go all winter for a couple of years with no problem. She told me I was crazy for taking it down and putting it back up.
    I think I will ask a pool store about it to be safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Tidelaw343 View Post
    I'd talk to someone at a pool shop before I left that up all winter. That seems iffy, as the warning I see always says "take it down if it drops below 32 in the winter". The liner of the Intex pools is a good bit thinner than a "permanent" above-ground pool, and I wonder what the winterizing chemicals would do to one. I'm also kinda interested to see what they'd do to the paper filters Intex uses. That, coupled with snow and ice weighing on top and surrounding it...just looks like too many chances for this thing to get weighed down and pop or spring a leak.

They're not so difficult to take down (dip a coiled-up garden hose in the water, then drag one end to the street to start a siphon to get the water out), nor are they incredibly expensive to refill next spring. Given the time it takes to take one down and reset it next spring vs. how much they cost, I'd just take it down.

NOTE: I had a "permanent" above ground pool up until this summer. It was a month-long fight against algae and dirty water to get it ready for the season. The liner had torn over the winter, and we replaced it with a metal-frame Intex pool from Walmart. Three hours to set up, a day to fill, then when we were done, I let it drain to the street over a weekend and broke it down yesterday afternoon. Sooo much easier, and we never had problems with water clarity.

Dayman is offline Champion of the Sun

Go to Annie's pools on Glenwood Ave (between Frankford and Kensington), ask for winterizing kits, and tell them Dan sent you. I used to work there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Paine
    “The World is my country, all Mankind are my brethren, and to do Good is my religion.”

Preesi is offline Senior Member

plug up the holes with those black hat things
    store the filter indoors, adjust ph and add shock to winterize and cover it

cool thanks. I just need to know if it is ok to leave it out all winter.

Quote Originally Posted by Preesi View Post
    plug up the holes with those black hat things
    store the filter indoors, adjust ph and add shock to winterize and cover it