Register
+ Reply to Thread
    mixiboi is offline Philly Remixed

Default PHILADELPHIA FLOOD PLAIN and SHELTER MAP for Irene

I didn't want to make a separate thread, but this is important:

http://oem.readyphiladelphia.org/Cus...rs_26Aug11.pdf
    Graphic Designer, Social Media Consultant. Twitter: @Sdlaugh

Mr Morley is offline Banned

Oh wow, Civil Defense markers! It's been so long it took me a second to figure out what they were.

Yeah, its not something we see a lot...

Hospitalitygirl is offline Moderator

Thank you! I feel much better now. Where did you get this? I need to check where my daughter lives.
    I am not the Jackass Whisperer.

Quote Originally Posted by Hospitalitygirl View Post
    Thank you! I feel much better now. Where did you get this? I need to check where my daughter lives.
    They just released it on the OEM Ready Site for Philly. It must of took someone a lot of hours in this short time frame to put it together.

But it was needed.

OEM PhillyReady

And here is NYC:

NYCReady

Its a first time they get to use these sites for something other then Winter Storms since they made them after 9/11.

NYC has ordered everyone in Zone A (the orange parts of the map) to evacuate. That's really low-lying areas like Coney island, Jamaica Bay and parts of Staten Island: NYC Starts MANDATORY EVACUATION Of All New Yorkers In Zone A: Gothamist

I'd only be worried if you daughter lives in Zone B, which is the yellow parts of the map.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Morley View Post
    NYC has ordered everyone in Zone A (the orange parts of the map) to evacuate. That's really low-lying areas like Coney island, Jamaica Bay and parts of Staten Island: NYC Starts MANDATORY EVACUATION Of All New Yorkers In Zone A: Gothamist

I'd only be worried if you daughter lives in Zone B, which is the yellow parts of the map.
    Thanks Mixiboi.

Mr. Morley I just checked and she is in a "no-zone" but between two green zones. She'll be ok.

desolate is offline Double spaced

Quote Originally Posted by mixiboi View Post

http://oem.readyphiladelphia.org/Cus...rs_26Aug11.pdf

Hrmm.. they have trouble developing the waterfront...exactly where there's 100 year flood zones. Coincidence? Also says a lot about issues with developing the Navy Yard.

If I recall Praxis has a lot of buildings planned for a lot of that Yellow/Red. Another Venice Island in the making?
    I'm not seeing all these supposed bikes in all these million dollar bike lanes.

Pitboss is offline Banned

Quote Originally Posted by mixiboi View Post
    It's not important but rather bogus. The OP needs to lay off the bottle and get some sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by Pitboss View Post
    It's not important but rather bogus. The OP needs to lay off the bottle and get some sleep.
    Knock it off.

ColeenH is offline Senior Member

The three high school shelters (Lincoln, Bartram, and Roxborough) will be pet-friendly shelters, but please bring any vaccination records you may have at home.

Quote Originally Posted by ColeenH View Post
    The three high school shelters (Lincoln, Bartram, and Roxborough) will be pet-friendly shelters, but please bring any vaccination records you may have at home.
    That's good, I remember all those poor animals left behind during Katrina.

Gladys is offline Senior Member

how do they know the water won't go past the green area? is there a natural boundary?
    "If you're going to tell people the truth, you better make them laugh; otherwise they'll kill you."
    - attributed to both George Bernard Shaw & Oscar Wilde

"I never clean up after my dogs, because I have trained them to run with me off leash while I ride my bike the wrong way on the sidewalk."
    - LUCas
    Originally Posted by Dave L We need to focus on banning both singers who crap on the sidewalk and dogs that annoy people with their singing. - Mondo

Gladys is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by ColeenH View Post
    and what if you don't have the records at home. it's a little late to get them.
    "If you're going to tell people the truth, you better make them laugh; otherwise they'll kill you."
    - attributed to both George Bernard Shaw & Oscar Wilde

"I never clean up after my dogs, because I have trained them to run with me off leash while I ride my bike the wrong way on the sidewalk."
    - LUCas
    Originally Posted by Dave L We need to focus on banning both singers who crap on the sidewalk and dogs that annoy people with their singing. - Mondo

Quote Originally Posted by Gladys View Post
    how do they know the water won't go past the green area? is there a natural boundary?
    It's almost certainly based on heigth above sea level. Look at the map in this link: NYC Starts MANDATORY EVACUATION Of All New Yorkers In Zone A: Gothamist and you can zoom in more to see the detail. The higher up you are, the less chance the water will reach you. Manhattan is all pretty close to sea level, but most of it (as you can see from the map) is high enough that it would take a really serious storm surge to flood it.

The green areas are the parks They have nothing to do with flooding the yellow area is the "100 year flood Zone" which means that in our historical records the water has gone THAT far.

How do we know? We don't, but I don't think we will learn anytime soon if the flooding can go any farther, for many reasons. So don't focus too much on the yellow, but the orange, as that is the areas most at risk today.

ColeenH is offline Senior Member

and what if you don't have the records at home. it's a little late to get them.
    As I'm not affiliated with PCART (the group organizing the shelters in cooperation with the Red Cross), I don't know. I would hope that the rabies tag that you are given when your pet is immunized against rabies would suffice, and that is the only one required by law.

You could contact jenleary at comcast dot net (PCART Coordinator), if you are concerned.