Register
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Matt is offline Member

Default Philadelphia Local News Teams (CBS, ABC, NBC, FOX)

I warn you that the following is going to seem completely absurd to those who don't watch or don't care about the news, but I've always really enjoyed Philadelphia's local reporting. Is anyone else here a news junkie? I don't watch the afternoon or late night news slots very often, but I always have the morning news on while I'm getting ready for work in the mornings, and I've grown to really enjoy it. A sign of age? Probably! Even so, do you watch as well? Which team/format is your favorite, and why?

The four main ones:

CBS3 Eyewitness News (KYW) with Ukee Washington (anchor), Erika Von Tiehl (anchor), Bob Kelly (traffic), and Kate Bilo (weather) in the mornings. This follows the Eyewitness News format which, as I understand it, means that the anchors also act as reporters at the same time(?). I don't fully understand exactly how that's meant. To me, this one has a sort of loose, almost unstructured presentation to it. It's not that it's amateurish, it's just that the quality of the video feed, even in high-definition, isn't really that great. The lighting gives it a slightly dark appearance. As far as I know, this is the only morning news team that stays on-air until 9:00am, because they switch over to their sister station for CW57 Eyewitness News at 7am when the big three go to their national news programs. Bonus: General assignment reporter Nicole Brewer was a top 10 finalist of the 2006 Miss America pageant. I ran into her one morning as she was reporting live from the Italian Market and, honest to goodness, she might be one of the most beautiful women I've ever seen in my life.

ABC6 Action News (WPVI) with Matt O'Donnell (anchor), Tamala Edwards (anchor), Karen Rogers (traffic), and David Murphy (weather) in the mornings. This follows, as you might have guessed, the Action News format. As I understand it, that means they fit as many stories as quickly as possible in a sort of bang-bang-in-your-face presentation. Everyone knows Action News by the iconic theme (Move Closer To Your World), and they've been #1 in the local news ratings by a landslide for a long time. Their presentation is clear, crisp, professional, top-notch. The technology they use for weather and traffic makes the other stations look like they're using a blue screen in a high school media classroom. The chemistry that these four have on-screen is obvious, and doesn't seem put-on in the least. If I'm asked, this one is the most fun of the four to watch by far. Action News is also the only one that has a half-hour local news program at noon every weekday, and unlike CBS3/CH57 and NBC10/CH17, ABC has no local sister station that I'm aware of.

NBC10 News Today (WCAU) with Terry Ruggles (anchor), Lori Wilson (anchor), Jillian Mele (traffic), and Bill Henley (weather) in the mornings. I've only watched Fox less than I've watched NBC, so I don't know that much about this one. What format do they use? Eyewitness? Action? A hybrid? I always get sucked into Action News or Eyewitness News and rarely make it this far up the (figurative) dial. I do know that I thought Aditi Roy was adorable, but Lori Wilson replaced her not too long ago for some reason. I don't know anything about their sister station's PHL17 News At 10 evening news show, other than it runs for a half hour at 10pm.

FOX29 Good Day Philadelphia (WTXF) with... well, I don't know. I've never really given this one a chance, mostly because Steve Keeley's horrible hairpiece and gigantic eyebrows and orange skin and absurd vocal delivery completely creep me out, especially early in the morning. All I can really say about Fox's local news is that their last evening news anchor (Kerri-Lee Halkett) and current evening news anchor (Lauren Cohn) are both totally welcome to be my girlfriend(s). What format does Fox's morning team use? It seems like an oddball one, since they have more than two anchors. It's almost more like a news magazine feel rather than a classic morning news production.

So, for those of you who don't think I'm crazy, which one do you watch, and why? Any favorite anchors? Any idea what the various news formats (Eyewitness, Action, etc.) actually mean?

And seriously, what's up with Steve Keeley?

Sean is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    FOX29 Good Day Philadelphia (WTXF) with... well, I don't know. I've never really given this one a chance, mostly because Steve Keeley's horrible hairpiece and gigantic eyebrows and orange skin and absurd vocal delivery completely creep me out, especially early in the morning. All I can really say about Fox's local news is that their last evening news anchor (Kerri-Lee Halkett) and current evening news anchor (Lauren Cohn) are both totally welcome to be my girlfriend(s). What format does Fox's morning team use? It seems like an oddball one, since they have more than two anchors. It's almost more like a news magazine feel rather than a classic morning news production.

So, for those of you who don't think I'm crazy, which one do you watch, and why? Any favorite anchors? Any idea what the various news formats (Eyewitness, Action, etc.) actually mean?

I watch FOX29 in the morning while running around getting ready. I watch it for the reason bolded. They are very odd and entertaining. I watch to see what Mike Jerrick will do next. He is always saying or doing the oddest things. This one time they had a chef on and he had brought food. Mike went over and took a bite out of every piece of food made which upset everyone else on the set.

The format is a bit all over. They will have longer segments on a topic of interest, this morning it was finance to discuss the big drop in the market yesterday. They vary these longer segments with short quick snips of local news.

As for Steve Keeley, they seem to always have him out on location somewhere. He asks some pressing questions in his own "unique" way that you alluded to above. I always think its funny when they put him outside in the middle of a storm and he tries to do some reporting.

manewg is offline Member

...they've been #1 in the local news ratings by a landslide for a long time. Their presentation is clear, crisp, professional, top-notch. The technology they use for weather and traffic makes the other stations look like they're using a blue screen in a high school media classroom.
    That's exactly why I watch 6ABC. I can't stand FOX. They're all over the place!

FrankStar is offline Senior Member

Aditi Roy is on loan to NBC national. You can see or hear her do a few reports on the Today Show or other national news programs occasionally. Some are considering it her audition for the network. She could go national full-time much like Kristen Welker did.

phillyaggie is offline Senior Member

The "eyewitness news" and "action news" formats were perhaps discernibly different in another era but really not anymore...they're just trademarks/service marks and viewers know their local channel news by those names so the stations have kept them but in terms of format, delivery, and content, I don't know whether one is so different from the other. The only big difference is in the hour-long newscasts of Fox versus others that are only half-hour...obviously, Fox will have some stories that others don't.

I too mostly watch ABC, have often watched CBS, and sometimes watch NBC. Recently, have watched more Fox as well. WPVI seems top notch, but I want other news/other angles too...
    "The only difference between the Republican and Democratic parties is the velocities with which their knees hit the floor when corporations knock on their door. That's the only difference."
    - Ralph Nader

salf is offline Senior Member

Newscasts in the US are terrible.

That being said, I flip mostly between NBC and FOX in the mornings, and only because they're paired together, so I just have to click up or down on the remote.

I think channel 6 has better informative content though, but they don't have Jillian Mele, which is the only good thing on NBC.

PS: no kidding about that FOX's guy. My wife says he looks like one of those weird lap dogs. And he can't look straight at the camera, he's always moving his head looking around while talking.

PSS: Any tips on how to meet Jillian?

nobody here cares much about Karen Rogers on 6ABC? IMO she's hot.
    "The only difference between the Republican and Democratic parties is the velocities with which their knees hit the floor when corporations knock on their door. That's the only difference."
    - Ralph Nader

Matt is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by phillyaggie View Post
    The "eyewitness news" and "action news" formats were perhaps discernibly different in another era but really not anymore...they're just trademarks/service marks and viewers know their local channel news by those names so the stations have kept them but in terms of format, delivery, and content, I don't know whether one is so different from the other.
    Thanks for the clarification! The only real difference I noticed is with the CBS morning team, which I only recently started watching. A few days ago, they were doing a story about a dog that did something neat. I don't remember what it was. Anyway, they brought the dog in-studio, and Ukee Washington interviewed the owner over in a different part of the set, where he was sitting on a couch and she was sitting on a couch across from him, and it was during the normal 4:30am - 7:00am slot (that is, not a part of the extended CW telecast from 7am-9am - it was still on CBS). I never saw ABC or NBC switch from the classic newsdesk with two people / weather person / traffic person camera shots, so I chalked it up to something specific about it being an "Eyewitness News" show.

Quote Originally Posted by phillyaggie View Post
    nobody here cares much about Karen Rogers on 6ABC? IMO she's hot.
    She's certainly peppy and cute and fits in perfectly with a morning news team that's trying to get you moving, but I don't personally find her to be "hot." We all have different types. Now that Kerri-Lee Halkett left FOX, my personal award for most attractive Philadelphia reporter definitely goes to Nicole Brewer over at CBS, with honorable mention going to Cecily Tynan (ABC) and Lauren Cohn (FOX).

hubba1 is offline THIS is a Newbold...

I warn you that the following is going to seem completely absurd to those who don't watch or don't care about the news, but I've always really enjoyed Philadelphia's local reporting. Is anyone else here a news junkie? I don't watch the afternoon or late night news slots very often, but I always have the morning news on while I'm getting ready for work in the mornings, and I've grown to really enjoy it. A sign of age? Probably! Even so, do you watch as well? Which team/format is your favorite, and why?

The four main ones:

CBS3 Eyewitness News (KYW) with Ukee Washington (anchor), Erika Von Tiehl (anchor), Bob Kelly (traffic), and Kate Bilo (weather) in the mornings. This follows the Eyewitness News format which, as I understand it, means that the anchors also act as reporters at the same time(?). I don't fully understand exactly how that's meant. To me, this one has a sort of loose, almost unstructured presentation to it. It's not that it's amateurish, it's just that the quality of the video feed, even in high-definition, isn't really that great. The lighting gives it a slightly dark appearance. As far as I know, this is the only morning news team that stays on-air until 9:00am, because they switch over to their sister station for CW57 Eyewitness News at 7am when the big three go to their national news programs. Bonus: General assignment reporter Nicole Brewer was a top 10 finalist of the 2006 Miss America pageant. I ran into her one morning as she was reporting live from the Italian Market and, honest to goodness, she might be one of the most beautiful women I've ever seen in my life.

ABC6 Action News (WPVI) with Matt O'Donnell (anchor), Tamala Edwards (anchor), Karen Rogers (traffic), and David Murphy (weather) in the mornings. This follows, as you might have guessed, the Action News format. As I understand it, that means they fit as many stories as quickly as possible in a sort of bang-bang-in-your-face presentation. Everyone knows Action News by the iconic theme (Move Closer To Your World), and they've been #1 in the local news ratings by a landslide for a long time. Their presentation is clear, crisp, professional, top-notch. The technology they use for weather and traffic makes the other stations look like they're using a blue screen in a high school media classroom. The chemistry that these four have on-screen is obvious, and doesn't seem put-on in the least. If I'm asked, this one is the most fun of the four to watch by far. Action News is also the only one that has a half-hour local news program at noon every weekday, and unlike CBS3/CH57 and NBC10/CH17, ABC has no local sister station that I'm aware of.

NBC10 News Today (WCAU) with Terry Ruggles (anchor), Lori Wilson (anchor), Jillian Mele (traffic), and Bill Henley (weather) in the mornings. I've only watched Fox less than I've watched NBC, so I don't know that much about this one. What format do they use? Eyewitness? Action? A hybrid? I always get sucked into Action News or Eyewitness News and rarely make it this far up the (figurative) dial. I do know that I thought Aditi Roy was adorable, but Lori Wilson replaced her not too long ago for some reason. I don't know anything about their sister station's PHL17 News At 10 evening news show, other than it runs for a half hour at 10pm.

Kate Bilo got an upgrade and is moving to the 5:00pm broadcast on channel 3.

JBL
    JBL is offline Senior Member

I watch Fox29 in the mornings for some odd masochistic reason. All I do is complain about how ridiculous it is, but I continue to watch.

First of all, the Mike guy...stop eating your face. If the camera doesn't cut away fast enough, watch as he bites his lip and the inside of his mouth. He'll do it even when the camera is on him and the rest of the set, like when they're interviewing someone. He seems like a real PITA to work with too.

Also, I don't remember the news being so childish. They realize that adults watch the news right? I'm not going to follow Fox29 on Twitter, friend you on Facebook or check your pages out for links you could just have easily as told me. And how about when you run late because of American Idol, you don't start the news with stories about American Idol?

Also in the news for adults area: I understand that some of your viewers are older. Older does not equal completely inept at the Internet. I'm surprised peoples' pets haven't learned how to Twitter yet just because of the slow, drawn out pace you speak about computers and internet 'technology' with.

I think Genaphyr Phrederik (or however the hell you spell her name) was given that job out of charity. She is horrible to watch and hasn't relayed a relevant story since she's been there. And for the love of god, bring it down a notch.

I will say though. I do like the fact that Fox29 is so progressive they brought in a caveman to do stories every once inawhile. They even let him in the helicopter! Good on you Fox. Even as goofy as he looks with fake tan and chicklet-teeth, that gussied up cromagnon man still manages to report in a more traditional, mature manner even though he looks like he goes suit shopping with Deon Sanders.

Action News was my go to for years. I think Jim Gardner should have his own network since he's the only one interested in relaying news to adults in an adult format. I guess it was the 5:30pm (or whatever timeframe of the continuous 23 hour news cycle it was) last night, when Action News covered discounts found online (we get the same Internet) and the Facebook pages of Action News followers complete with a little bit about each person. Seriously? Who cares? Isn't London burning?

Finally, I don't care about Kim Kardashian, her ass, family or clothes. It doesn't matter to me who won the dancing show that was just on your channel 2 minutes ago. I don't care about what Hollywood is wearing. I don't care about any of it in fact. Stop treating the local news like a 24 hour TMZ/National Enquirer channel. I don't know...maybe even throw in some LOCAL NEWS.

Preesi is offline Senior Member

Its only been Channel 6 for me forever...

I love them all. and Jim Gardners humor on twitter shows a different side to him.

BTW Jim Gardner has been courted numerous times by CNN etc and as Peter Jennings replacement hes turned it all down.

iheartphilly is offline Senior Member

I watch everything except Fox. In addition to what others have said, I think they're unprofessional & the worst-dressed team ever. They're so damned smug! They also tend to insert their personal views, especially on political stories, like the viewers really need their biased input. I tried watching once or twice but had to turn if off when Jennifer what's her name & fake-tan Keeley reported - they seem to think very highly of themselves & their reports are gibberish. Sue Serio really needs to take better care of herself.

Sailaway is offline Giggity Giggity Goo!

Jim Gardner and 6ABC news is the only reason I still get local channels. Way back when satellite didn't offer local channels, I wouldn't even consider it because I wouldn't get 6ABC. And, later, when they would only offer me the New York stations, I still wouldn't sign up.
    If you believe people should work till they die to pay for a government worker to retire at 50, you're a Democrat. Otherwise, you're a Republican. All other differences between the parties are trivial.

manewg is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by iheartphilly View Post
    I watch everything except Fox. In addition to what others have said, I think they're unprofessional & the worst-dressed team ever. They're so damned smug! They also tend to insert their personal views, especially on political stories, like the viewers really need their biased input. I tried watching once or twice but had to turn if off when Jennifer what's her name & fake-tan Keeley reported - they seem to think very highly of themselves & their reports are gibberish. Sue Serio really needs to take better care of herself.
    Yes. It's like watching The View or something comparable.

cewillm is offline Senior Member

I watch Fox 29 in the mornings, for a couple minutes, sometimes. It's a joke and you're an idiot if you take the goof troop seriously. It's more morning entertainment than news.

Dayman is offline Champion of the Sun

I watch Channel 4 Action News.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Paine
    “The World is my country, all Mankind are my brethren, and to do Good is my religion.”

Winthorpe is offline Member

And let us not forget those who caused a bit of controversy...

Former Philly weatherman David Rogers who worked for six years at KYW-TV (Channel 3), was arrested on accusations that he hit two road workers with his Range Rover at 4 a.m., then drove away. This happened in Cleveland by the way after he left the station.

Rogers was charged with aggravated vehicular assault and leaving the scene of an accident.

Former Fox Philadelphia anchor Rich Noonan claims he was fired because he was white.

Sharon Reed hired by NBC-10 as an anchor in 1999 and fired in 2002 after a catfight with former colleague Alicia Taylor, waged on Internet message boards. Reed also participated in a naked photo with some Clevelanders.

Schwartz’s bow tie was not ruffled during his altercation between DeMentri

These two had a "thing" that just turned really bizarre.

Nothing much to say here that you didn't know already
    He was wearing my Harvard tie. Can you believe it? My Harvard tie. Like oh, sure he went to Harvard.

yeah, Channel 4 News rocks. especially since they got that hottie, Veronica Corningstone.
    - Ralph Nader