Register
+ Reply to Thread
    eldondre is online now Moderator

Default Green Eggs in South Philly

I think he's a bit off on his misconceptions. people think "green" is unaffordable, not tastes bad. who ever said locally produced eggs taste bad?
    Yo South Phillyites, need another bruncherie? Here you go: Green Eggs Café will be debuting at 1306 Dickinson on or around Dec. 21. Stephen J. Slaughter and William Bonforte, vets of Old City’s Moda and Odium, plan on serving breakfast and lunch at their 50-seater, which’ll also have an outdoor area.

The “green” part: The place is aggressively eco-conscious. A ban on disposable plastics and Styrofoam, biodegradable takeout containers, LEED-certified building products (recycled stone, sustainable cork, responsibly harvested wood, etc.), a partnership with a state-of-the-art composting facility in Delaware.

The “eggs” part: A menu composed from locally sourced produce and meats. “We will eradicate the misconception that going green will sacrifice the quality of food being served,” says Slaughter. Early in the day, expect eats like French toast, pancakes, omelettes and breakfast burritos; for lunch, they’ll do stuff like Kobe sliders, big burgers and chicken salad sandwiches.

Slaughter adds that he plans on inviting neighborhood residents in prior to the opening for a free-food meet and greet.
    Green Eggs Café opening Dec. 21 :: Meal Ticket :: Philadelphia City Paper :: Philadelphia Events, Arts, Restaurants, Music, Movies, Jobs, Classifieds, Blogs
    "It has shown me that everything is illuminated in the light of the past"
    Jonathan Safran Foer

HogIslandGrip is offline Yo, cuz...

eldondre is online now Moderator

Today marked the grand opening of Stephen J. Slaughter and William Bonforte’s Green Eggs Café (1306 Dickinson St.,215-226-EGGS), a project Meal Ticket first mentioned on Dec. 3.

The entryway side of the 50-seat space features an open kitchen with bar seating, some high-top stools and a pair of cushy leather couches alongside a mounted flat-screen and a fireplace. On the other side of the space, you’ll find the sunny dining room, plus an additional nook for private events and overflow. This particular portion of the restaurant features original construction elements dating back some 91 years, says Slaughter. (More on the café’s green ethos here.)

Slaughter and Bonforte, vets of the Old City club scene, serve a full breakfast/lunch/brunch menu from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m., with a supplemental menu (coffee drinks, pastries, sandwiches, etc.) available both before and after that window of time (they’re open to 7 to 7 daily for now). We’ll post the full menus here shortly
    NOW OPEN: Green Eggs Café :: Meal Ticket :: Philadelphia City Paper :: Philadelphia Events, Arts, Restaurants, Music, Movies, Jobs, Classifieds, Blogs
    "It has shown me that everything is illuminated in the light of the past"
    Jonathan Safran Foer

luchobucho is online now Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by eldondre View Post
    I think he's a bit off on his misconceptions. people think "green" is unaffordable, not tastes bad. who ever said locally produced eggs taste bad?

Green Eggs Café opening Dec. 21 :: Meal Ticket :: Philadelphia City Paper :: Philadelphia Events, Arts, Restaurants, Music, Movies, Jobs, Classifieds, Blogs
    I think we need to merge this thread with the one in the S. Philly section.

Sycamore is offline Sure Shot

Pfft. I travel and pay more for local nest eggs from Mr. Esche. What misconception is he talking about?

luchobucho is online now Senior Member

has anyone eaten here yet?