Register
+ Reply to Thread
    Lincolndrive is offline Junior Member

Default DC Restaurant "Medium Rare" coming to "The Sansom"

Word on the street is we're about to get a new steak that won't break the bank. Check out the article here New Rittenhouse Restaurant to Open at The Sansom

lucidinnature is offline Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Lincolndrive View Post
    Word on the street is we're about to get a new steak that won't break the bank. Check out the article here New Rittenhouse Restaurant to Open at The Sansom
    The picture in that 'article' is disgusting, and the monaco has already brought us an 'affordable steak house' with the monaco. Medium Rare has only one thing on the menu-not going to fly very well amongst a million other options.

Whoever wrote this blog is worthless, and obviously doesn't know much about the city.

Dolemite is offline Senior Member

Looks like a knockoff of this place that I've been to in Paris and NYC: Le Relais de Venise - Home

I'll give it a try.

bootsywannabe is offline Banned

did somebody say medium rare?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jEutxuMtA8

BarryG is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by lucidinnature View Post
    The picture in that 'article' is disgusting, and the monaco has already brought us an 'affordable steak house' with the monaco. Medium Rare has only one thing on the menu-not going to fly very well amongst a million other options.

Whoever wrote this blog is worthless, and obviously doesn't know much about the city.
    Red Owl isn't a steakhouse, and can you really get a steak there for $20?

MNG1324 is offline Senior Member
    Harrisburg/Center City weekend Condo owner

Hanger steak with frites and a salad for under $20 is awesome. They have a place in Montreal on Peel Street but the name escapes me and i'm too lazy to figure it out but i'll be there on my April visit.

MarketStEl is offline Will Work for Food, But Prefers Cash
    East Germantown rocks! But watch your back.

Quote Originally Posted by Lincolndrive View Post
    A common error in the blog post that gets my Inner Grammarian all riled up - one of a category of increasingly common errors I associate with the rise of a post-literate (pre-literate?) culture:

The term is prix fixe.

It's "fixed price" in French, the old language of fine cooking (cuisine) and dining (in restaurants).
    Sandy Smith, Wanderer in Germantown, Philadelphia
    Editor-in-Chief, Philadelphia Real Estate Blog - but all opinions expressed here are mine and mine alone.
    ""Jazz and blogging are both intimate, improvisational, and individual -- but also inherently collective. And the audience talks over both." --Andrew Sullivan, "Why I Blog," The Atlantic, November 2008

One of Medium Rare's two co-owners is a Philadelphian, descended from an early 20th-century Civil Service Commissioner. The original announcement of its impending arrival in Philly prompted a whole host of Phillycentric Tweets from everyone from @6ABC to @KYWNewsradio and on and on, scrolling across the restaurant's home page. (IMO the best of 'em, from @The_DP: "Can I get that Whiz with?")

I suspect that this person has more than passing familiarity with the city.

Kimpton hotel restaurants are never less than outstanding, but the under-$20 price point is not one of their distinguishing features. This one-trick pony has attracted a sizable following in more affluent Washington; I think it will do quite well here, especially given the historical parsimoniousness of many Philadelphians.
    Editor-in-Chief, Philadelphia Real Estate Blog - but all opinions expressed here are mine and mine alone.
    ""Jazz and blogging are both intimate, improvisational, and individual -- but also inherently collective. And the audience talks over both." --Andrew Sullivan, "Why I Blog," The Atlantic, November 2008

Cici's Pizza is popular in the affluent DC burbs; that doesn't make it a good thing.

I know a Philadelphian that started a chain of cheesesteak places that puts pepperjack and red peppers on a cheesesteak; once again-not a good thing.

I couldn't care less where a founder is from. That plate of beef bottombutt with semiglance sauce looks like a travesty meant for olive garden noodles instead of sitting by itself for $20. Maybe it will be high end when people are pretentiously sipping $50 wines with their dinty moore stew.
    Quote Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
    One of Medium Rare's two co-owners is a Philadelphian, descended from an early 20th-century Civil Service Commissioner. The original announcement of its impending arrival in Philly prompted a whole host of Phillycentric Tweets from everyone from @6ABC to @KYWNewsradio and on and on, scrolling across the restaurant's home page. (IMO the best of 'em, from @The_DP: "Can I get that Whiz with?")

Kimpton hotel restaurants are never less than outstanding, but the under-$20 price point is not one of their distinguishing features. This one-trick pony has attracted a sizable following in more affluent Washington; I think it will do quite well here, especially given the historical parsimoniousness of many Philadelphians.

eldondre is offline Moderator

they intended to open a place in AC but the native brought his partners through PHilly, as the story goes, they enver left and decided to open here.
    pepperjack is awesome on a cheesesteak...particularly if it's got real heat from the peppers. no need for red peppers though
    "It has shown me that everything is illuminated in the light of the past"
    Jonathan Safran Foer

Quote Originally Posted by eldondre View Post
    they intended to open a place in AC but the native brought his partners through PHilly, as the story goes, they enver left and decided to open here.
    pepperjack is awesome on a cheesesteak...particularly if it's got real heat from the peppers. no need for red peppers though
    I like the pepperjack cheesesteak from Cosmi's in S. philly... but it's not authentic, man! hahahahaha

szekely is offline Senior Member

Can't wait to try this place!

A common error in the blog post that gets my Inner Grammarian all riled up - one of a category of increasingly common errors I associate with the rise of a post-literate (pre-literate?) culture:

The term is prix fixe.
    Hah! Could not agree more. Even my outer grammarian is offended.

Cici's Pizza is popular in the affluent DC burbs; that doesn't make it a good thing.

I know a Philadelphian that started a chain of cheesesteak places that puts pepperjack and red peppers on a cheesesteak; once again-not a good thing.

I couldn't care less where a founder is from. That plate of beef bottombutt with semiglance sauce looks like a travesty meant for olive garden noodles instead of sitting by itself for $20. Maybe it will be high end when people are pretentiously sipping $50 wines with their dinty moore stew.
    Fair enough, but I thought you were originally commenting on the restaurant's chances for success, not its overall quality. For $19.95, you're probably not gonna get Certified Angus, let alone Kobe beef. But it may still be a great value for the price. That's nothing to sneeze at even now.

However: I will note that I was over at the Monaco earlier today - I'd left a jacket in a room I'd booked as a birthday present for my DC friend, and the housekeeping staff found it - and stopped in to check out the menu at the Red Owl Tavern. They have two different steaks on the menu for $24 each, which is not that much more than what Medium Rare charges - but it's still more than $20. Just as prices end in .95 or .99 as a psychological tool - buyers mentally round down rather than round up - $20 for an entree is a psychological barrier that distinguishes a moderately priced from a pricey restaurant.

Edited to add: You had also written:

That makes local connections fair game for comment.

I've been to Red Owl, and highly recommend it! Portions correspond to the price, but the quality is above average and worth a night out.

I merely wrote a bloated and bombastic retort to apply for your blog position, but I only work for to cracks and steak entrees that are priced below $24.95! Oh, and I need my own office that has a view of City Hall.
    Fair enough, but I thought you were originally commenting on the restaurant's chances for success, not its overall quality. For $19.95, you're probably not gonna get Certified Angus, let alone Kobe beef. But it may still be a great value for the price. That's nothing to sneeze at even now.

However: I will note that I was over at the Monaco earlier today - I'd left a jacket in a room I'd booked as a birthday present for my DC friend, and the housekeeping staff found it - and stopped in to check out the menu at the Red Owl Tavern. They have two different steaks on the menu for $24 each, which is not that much more than what Medium Rare charges - but it's still more than $20. Just as prices end in .95 or .99 as a psychological tool - buyers mentally round down rather than round up - $20 for an entree is a psychological barrier that distinguishes a moderately priced from a pricey restaurant.

Edited to add: You had also written:

That makes local connections fair game for comment.

I merely wrote a bloated and bombastic retort to apply for your blog position, but I only work for to cracks and steak entrees that are priced below $24.95! Oh, and I need my own office that has a view of City Hall.
    You can have the same office I occupy, at La Colombe on South Penn Square. But you'll have to bring your own Wi-Fi.

Pfft. La Colombe?! I'm outraged. I will continue to lounge in rocket cat cafe until the new york times comes knocking on my, err, their door.