Register
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    NYCNative is offline NYCNative

Default Wither White Castle?

I realize that White Castle is a very polarizing thing, so let me say before anything else: Yeah, I know many of you hate the things. Noted.

I am on the other side of the scale, having lived in NYC and Ohio where they have them like we have WAWAs here, and I recently had a craving for them. I was surprised that there are no White Castles here in town and even more so that the only store in Pennsylvania is up near Allentown.

I only moved into the area in 2007. I know that White Castle tried to make a go of it in Philly. Their own website says they launched in the area in 1988 and apparently a location in Willow Grove opened late 1988 or early 1989:

Bitty Burgers For The First Time Ever, Phila. Area Folks Can Get Their Fill Of White Castle's Square Fare. Thirty-eight Cents Buys A Sandwich. Of Course, Who Can Eat Just One? - Philly.com

There was also one at Broad & Poplar according to another story:

You Never Just Have One Here's Why Those White Castle Burgers Taste Like 'More' - Philly.com

According to that story:
    White Castle Systems Inc., which owns and operates 231 White Castle restaurants in the Midwest, South and on the East Coast, last year opened its first area restaurant on Easton Road in Willow Grove Park Mall.

The Broad and Poplar joint, which opened Tuesday, marks the second site in the Philadelphia area, and at least 20 more may be operating in the area in the next three years, according to a company spokesman.
    So apparently the chain had high hopes for the area but I have no idea when the restaurants closed (a Google street view of Broad & Poplar shows me no indication there was once a castle there). So I ask those who lived here - did they get a bunch of them running or did they fizzle before even that?

I have trouble believing that White Castle would not so well in this area. It's heartbreaking on a personal level but aside from me, Philly just seems like a perfect place for White Castle and I am surprised it failed so dramatically, apparently.

FrankStar is offline Senior Member

I saw someone buy the frozen White Castle burgers at Walgreens at Broad and Snyder on Thursday.

I wonder if it was because they were cheaper than ex-lax?

OldMama is online now Senior Member

I am sort of an elder on this forum with a memory that extends waaaay before 1988. We had a number of White Castles in the downtown area and I believe one at Broad and Olney or thereabouts. There was one on N. Broad, too- may have been Poplar or maybe Race, not sure. I only ate in one on one occasion when a relative from Pittsburgh visited and we went downtown. She was really into White Castle. I have to say I thought it was tasty. The bread sort of melted into the burger kind of like a meatball sandwich on Wonder Bread. I liked the little chopped onions as well.

FrankStar is offline Senior Member

I don't remember White Castle in Philly - but I was mostly gone from the city from 1982 through 2009, with a brief stay in 1991-92.

What I DO remember are quite a few White Tower joints.

I used to get White Castle when I visited relatives in Clifton/Passaic in the early 70s, however.

RittenhouseGirl is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by OldMama View Post
    I am sort of an elder on this forum with a memory that extends waaaay before 1988. We had a number of White Castles in the downtown area and I believe one at Broad and Olney or thereabouts. There was one on N. Broad, too- may have been Poplar or maybe Race, not sure. I only ate in one on one occasion when a relative from Pittsburgh visited and we went downtown. She was really into White Castle. I have to say I thought it was tasty. The bread sort of melted into the burger kind of like a meatball sandwich on Wonder Bread. I liked the little chopped onions as well.
    I know for a fact there was a White Castle past the K&A area, maybe more towards Frankford, in the 1990s.

I had a childhood friend that lived in that area and we actually bought those little chicken sandwiches back then.

I am surprised it closed down. Does anyone else remember that location?

I also know there was a Wal-Mart somewhere around Juniata back then too, but no one will ever verify that for me. I don't mean the K-Mart either.

Radical Ed is offline Public Nuisance

I believe there used to be one at the Franklin Mills Mall in the Far Northeast. Now, the closest one I know of is just outside Seaside Heights (or what's left of it), a good hour-plus away towards the NJ coast.
    "Fearlessly the idiot faced the crowd..."
    "...Smiling."

Pink Floyd

Quote Originally Posted by Radical Ed View Post
    I believe there used to be one at the Franklin Mills Mall in the Far Northeast. Now, the closest one I know of is just outside Seaside Heights (or what's left of it), a good hour-plus away towards the NJ coast.
    I think I remember the Franklin Mills one too.

Radical Ed is offline Public Nuisance

Oh, NYCNative, I made a Southpark avatar of myself a few years back. It seems we're on the same wavelength.
    Here's mine.

"Fearlessly the idiot faced the crowd..."
    "...Smiling."

Pink Floyd

O.H. Lee is offline Senior Member

There was a White Castle on South Broad Street. I think where the Popeyes is.

Ah, White Tower. Now they were good. I remember one out in Delco. McDade Boulevard I think.
    "We do sincerely hope you all enjoy the show, and please remember people, that no matter who you are and what you do to live, thrive and survive, there are still some things that make us all the same. You, me, them, everybody, everybody!"

lucidinnature is offline Banned

The white castle burgers frozen at superfresh and some wawas tasted exactly like white castle. Pick them up, cook them, and watch Harold and Kumar go to White Castle...which was shot nearby in Cherry Hill, amongst other locations.

Litter Box is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by O.H. Lee View Post
    There was a White Castle on South Broad Street. I think where the Popeyes is.

Ah, White Tower. Now they were good. I remember one out in Delco. McDade Boulevard I think.
    This topic came up early this week with a few people I have breakfast with and one very old guy remembers one on the s/w corner of Broad and South. I remember one in the 69 Street area of Upper Darby.
    But all in all, it's been a fabulous year for Laura and me.
    12/21/2001 White House release: President Highlights

lucidinnature is offline Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Litter Box View Post
    This topic came up early this week with a few people I have breakfast with and one very old guy remembers one on the s/w corner of Broad and South. I remember one in the 69 Street area of Upper Darby.
    I remember the one on by broad and south just because of the vacant building. I actually thought it was a little further south, but there was definitely one around there somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by lucidinnature View Post
    I remember the one on by broad and south just because of the vacant building. I actually thought it was a little further south, but there was definitely one around there somewhere.
    The elderly guy lived about a block away, his mind is still very sharp. How old ? Think D Day.

O.H. Lee is offline Senior Member

Pretty sure it was southwest corner of Broad & Catharine Streets. I remember the one in Upper Darby also.
    "We do sincerely hope you all enjoy the show, and please remember people, that no matter who you are and what you do to live, thrive and survive, there are still some things that make us all the same. You, me, them, everybody, everybody!"

daninpa is offline Cheesesteak GURU!

While the frozen ones are an acceptable replacement, nothing beats the fresh, greasy taste of a just-made White Castle. And a sack of minced onion rings. And soggy crinkle fries. Mmmmm...

There's one like 5 miles from my parents' house in central Jersey. We have to go out of the way for Checkers though.

Quote Originally Posted by O.H. Lee View Post
    Pretty sure it was southwest corner of Broad & Catharine Streets. I remember the one in Upper Darby also.
    Take a look at the building at Broad and South and you can see that it looks like a lot of the old White Castles. Joe is about 87 but I trust his memory. Perhaps it changed locations. I'll double check with him next week if he shows for breakfast.

billy ross is offline Senior Member

I used to go to the one on Kensington Avenue. It was around the Erie-Torresdale stop, on the west side of the Avenue, mid-block.

Who's been to Krystal's? They're bizarro White Castles.

Quote Originally Posted by RittenhouseGirl View Post
    I know for a fact there was a White Castle past the K&A area, maybe more towards Frankford, in the 1990s.

I had a childhood friend that lived in that area and we actually bought those little chicken sandwiches back then.

I am surprised it closed down. Does anyone else remember that location?

I also know there was a Wal-Mart somewhere around Juniata back then too, but no one will ever verify that for me. I don't mean the K-Mart either.

Quote Originally Posted by billy ross View Post
    I used to go to the one on Kensington Avenue. It was around the Erie-Torresdale stop, on the west side of the Avenue, mid-block.
    Woo-hoo! Someone remembers besides me!

Jayfar is offline Junior Old Fart

Also may be available microwaved on the cafe car of long distance Amtrak trains; they had them when I took a trip about 10 years ago.

[don't know if the info below is current]

Available In The Amtrak Lounge Car

White Castle Cheeseburgers (Twin Pack) ... $ 1.75
    “Guys like you I would dispatch with my roofing axe.” -- BootsywannabeACretin

AsYouWere is offline Banned

Quote Originally Posted by RittenhouseGirl View Post
    Woo-hoo! Someone remembers besides me!
    I recall getting them at the one in N Philly somewhere on Broad near Green St, or at least on the right side NB on Broad. I tried to buy a mega-pak at BJ's recently but the boss intervened and said they'll kill a horse.

Thanks for the frozen heads-up LIN I'll leave dum-dum at home next time.