Register
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    loveisnoise is offline Senior Member

HAHAHA! No debate when you're wrong. Uber lounge is not quite a catchy name for a loud concert and dj venue-that's why there's the word lounge in it?! Furthermore, you negated every instance to merely pick up on one term that I said, "Maybe" towards.

There is no going after the union trust crowd, because it is a destination point. People are going for the concert first, drinks second. Silk City, despite your assertions, is primarily a restaurant with a bar and then ...come on, you can say it... L-O-U-N-G-E on the side.

A nighclub sized tiki bar slash 'beer hall'? They're going to make money and stay open the same way macfaddens and bulkhead stay open; not from foodie's peridiocally coming in and sniffing their own farts while conjuring yelp reviews-but by the typical party juggernaut that makes the other swill halls money.

Quote Originally Posted by BarryG View Post
    And "uberlounge" is a catchy name for a ridiculously loud concert and DJ venue that charges cover. Ridiculous semantics, and a pointless debate. Call it whatever you want, it's obvious that this place is going for the Silk City/Union Trust/Barbary crowd, not McFadden's. Not that it matters anyway, as long as it's not going for the Palmer Social Club crowd, this will be a quality addition to Spring Garden--if they can stay in business.

MTEMPLE is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by BarryG View Post
    And "uberlounge" is a catchy name for a ridiculously loud concert and DJ venue that charges cover. Ridiculous semantics, and a pointless debate. Call it whatever you want, it's obvious that this place is going for the Silk City/Union Trust/Barbary crowd, not McFadden's. Not that it matters anyway, as long as it's not going for the Palmer Social Club crowd, this will be a quality addition to Spring Garden--if they can stay in business.
    You do know when Palmer opened it wasn't the "urban" club it is now. Billy Weiss can also be thanked for introducing Philadelphia to some great beers. The small room on the first floor had some of the best beers in the city.

Quote Originally Posted by MTEMPLE View Post
    You do know when Palmer opened it wasn't the "urban" club it is now. Billy Weiss can also be thanked for introducing Philadelphia to some great beers. The small room on the first floor had some of the best beers in the city.
    The entire first floor used to be amazing. They were one of the few places in the city to carry all the versions of Rogue beer. Used to hang out with Corey when he bartender the 1st floor. Loved that place. And the 80's top floor with the roller skating guy was the best floor in the city.

eldondre is offline Moderator

its bot much of a stretch to call silk citys outdoor stretch a beer garden. and why does this have be a foodie destination or a pcp stabbing mecca? theyre obviously going for a multiconcept beer hall one one floor and tiki bar on another. since when did a beer hall require foodies? this thread has become ridiculous. lets hope it becomes a deals
    "It has shown me that everything is illuminated in the light of the past"
    Jonathan Safran Foer

BarryG is offline Senior Member

Didn't know that actually. Did it change ownership and concept, or just evolve with the clientele?

Quote Originally Posted by loveisnoise View Post
    HAHAHA! No debate when you're wrong. Uber lounge is not quite a catchy name for a loud concert and dj venue-that's why there's the word lounge in it?! Furthermore, you negated every instance to merely pick up on one term that I said, "Maybe" towards.

There is no going after the union trust crowd, because it is a destination point. People are going for the concert first, drinks second. Silk City, despite your assertions, is primarily a restaurant with a bar and then ...come on, you can say it... L-O-U-N-G-E on the side.

A nighclub sized tiki bar slash 'beer hall'? They're going to make money and stay open the same way macfaddens and bulkhead stay open; not from foodie's peridiocally coming in and sniffing their own farts while conjuring yelp reviews-but by the typical party juggernaut that makes the other swill halls money.
    Nobody is talking about foodies except for you. Concert first, drinks second--where are they going to go? I guess we'll see what it becomes but the concepts--beer hall, tiki, brewery--are clearly going after hipster/young white adult trends that are underrepresented in Philly. The same people who frequent Silk City and Union Transfer. I also have doubts about the location drawing enough of those people to keep it full but I guess they want to become a destination too; 85 taps and a unique-for-Philly cocktail isn't a bad start.

Mapping the Tiki Bars of New York's Past, Present and Future - Eater Maps - Eater NY
    http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/29/ny...-new-york.html

The entire first floor used to be amazing. They were one of the few places in the city to carry all the versions of Rogue beer. Used to hang out with Corey when he bartender the 1st floor. Loved that place. And the 80's top floor with the roller skating guy was the best floor in the city.
    Cory Gray !!! Haven't seen him in a very long time since he left Saint Jacks.

Dawn, Tony and Natasha also worked down stairs.

I use to go there after visiting MP at 8th Street Lounge.

I agree- it is ridiculous.

I didn't write the friggin article. As you all read 'beer hall', I read idiocy. Anyone remotely around the business would call this adventurous at least, a whitewash at worst.

Read it again. A tiki bar with a pan Asian dim sum menu, an 80 tap beer hall that sells southern BBQ family
    Style, and a top floor distillery and brewery for giggles.

All from folks that run in and out on concepts. Yeah, I'm the crazy one.
    Quote Originally Posted by eldondre View Post
    its bot much of a stretch to call silk citys outdoor stretch a beer garden. and why does this have be a foodie destination or a pcp stabbing mecca? theyre obviously going for a multiconcept beer hall one one floor and tiki bar on another. since when did a beer hall require foodies? this thread has become ridiculous. lets hope it becomes a deals

BenDee is offline Senior Member

I believe you mean DEAL$.

Whatever this place becomes, they are all over the map with the current concept. I'm guessing it is such a huge space that they cannot make the numbers work on one idea so they are putting multiple ones in.

If maintaining it as a restaurant and bar is the end goal, the space needs to be split into two distinctly different establishments (something similar to 600 N Broad) or have one large solidified concept, even if "Cavanaugh McFadden's Public House on the Mad River" is the only business plan that's viable for the large space. It seems they are biting off more than they can chew with this.

actually its not unusual for a club to have many rooms. why is it wrong if it ends up being.mcfaddens with good beer and sausages and bbq? not everything has to be a restaurant. 600 is owned by a developer who owns two adjacent apt buildings. not everything needs to be an expensive restaurant.
    love-brewery for giggles? the one thing these guys have nailed at every place is beer. they also have a real brewer on staff. if anything seems for giggles its the tiki bar. these guys have no history of running cebus...tgeir problems are less with nailing concepts than running a business...which should be a concern of their creditors not mine
    Last edited by eldondre; 01-02-2012 at 04:27 PM.
    Jonathan Safran Foer

See-you can't even say it all. You forgot to add "Mcfaddens with good beer, sausages, bbq, tiki bar, and "pan asian dim sum"and brewery and distillery".
    actually its not unusual for a club to have many rooms. why is it wrong if it ends up being.mcfaddens with good beer and sausages and bbq? not everything has to be a restaurant. 600 is owned by a developer who owns two adjacent apt buildings.

See-you can't even say it all. You forgot to add "Mcfaddens with good beer, sausages, bbq, tiki bar, and "pan asian dim sum"and brewery and distillery".
    LMFAO

If an after-hour nightclub with a cover charge serving $8-$12 drinks couldn't afford to pay the bills anymore I doubt a beer hall run by people that are less than business savory will make it past year 1.

If an after-hour nightclub with a cover charge serving $8-$12 drinks couldn't afford to pay the bills anymore I doubt a beer hall run by people that are less than business savory will make it past year 1.
    i think you mean savvy. who cares? are you investing? transit seemed to do fine as did the bank. its the nature of ckubs to have short runs as far as i can tell.

love- i dont get the tiki part mixed in but i dont see what youre getting worked up about. have you been to their other places? maybe they scrap the tiki in favor of giant beer bar/brewpub. i sobt think pan asian and tiki are separate concepts
    Last edited by eldondre; 01-02-2012 at 05:02 PM.
    Jonathan Safran Foer

All jokes aside, el- did you read the first article? This whole rumor didn't even start with a beer hall, it started with a tiki bar. Not me making it up.

I'm plainly saying that I showed this to someone who has been in the philadelphia restaurant scene for 35 years, and they laughed like crazy and used the 'well, that's adventurous' line I previously paraphrased.

As for possibly scrapping part of this idea? I couldn't agree more... and when I hear wacky ideas like this it is usually someone trying to make way too many investors happy.

i think you mean savvy. who cares? are you investing? transit seemed to do fine as did the bank. its the nature of ckubs to have short runs as far as i can tell.

love- i dont get the tiki part mixed in but i dont see what youre getting worked up about. have you been to their other places? maybe they scrap the tiki in favor of giant beer bar/brewpub. i sobt think pan asian and tiki are separate concepts

I wish they never got rid of the original downstairs from when it was the bank. Those horse shoe booth-tables would be worth a decent concept these days.

I don't even remembering anyone ever using the top floor, with the exception of a small part being used as the dj booth. A brewery on a top floor isn't exactly the greatest idea, as water and leaks abound are surely going to drip down into the beer hall.

it doesnt really matter whether they drop it or not. even with the seemingly awkward beer hall and brewpub with a tiki bar in the basement its got a better shot than the conservative but poorly executed coos sports bar did. i gather the concern here is that it will be a nuisance bar...not sure i buy that...and the details have yet to e worked out but i dont think nimbying it is any smarter than those who opposed union transfer.
    Jonathan Safran Foer

billy ross is offline Senior Member

Who designed the original bank building? When? I've always admired the structure, even if I wasn't a fan of the 'club' that was there. That place made me glad my single days are over.
    Last edited by billy ross; 01-02-2012 at 05:42 PM.

hehehe... I had to look up coos sports bar. Didn't even hear of it until now-after it is already closed.

it doesnt really matter whether they drop it or not. even with the seemingly awkward beer hall and brewpub with a tiki bar in the basement its got a better shot than the conservative but poorly executed coos sports bar did. i gather the concern here is that it will be a nuisance bar...not sure i buy that...and the details have yet to e worked out but i dont think nimbying it is any smarter than those who opposed union transfer.

Quote Originally Posted by billy ross View Post
    Who designed the original bank building? When? I've always admired the structure, even if I wasn't a fan of the 'club' that was there. That place made me glad my single days are over.
    Frank Furness.

BarryG is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by billy ross View Post
    It's a Furness pretty sure.

It's true that the concept is all over the map but all are hip concepts, they will get a run from it. It's a food/drink blogger's dream, lots of free marketing. I don't really see it as any different from Tinto/Village Whiskey sharing a kitchen... A wine bar with Basque Tapas and a burger bar?! Someone who does't follow the industry would have no idea the places are related. Of course GRG has an excellent track record. These guys actually are pretty good at execution and meeting demand, their problem seems to be in screwing over landlords, vendors, and staff, not running the business day to day. FC survived the crappy reviews and they've recruited some serious talent behind the bar.

I think it's pretty typical for breweries to be on upper floors, Nodding Head is on a second floor.