Register
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    newmarlig is offline Senior Member

Default Is there a big difference between Chipotle and Qdoba?

I'm just wondering because a Chipotle is opening at the old Susanna Foo space, just a few doors from Qdoba. Their menus seem very similar.

salf is offline Senior Member

The search function is your friend:

http://www.philadelphiaspeaks.com/fo...oos-space.html

palvar is offline Senior Member

I like Chipotle better - some even serve beer.

EiEnNoAi is offline Junior Member

IMO, Chipotle is way better. I've had everything there, from chicken tacos to the vegetarian burrito bowl. Everything is fresh, hot and really tasty. I looooove their cilantro lime rice

mixiboi is online now Philly Remixed

That's like saying whats the difference between Burger King and McDonalds...

And since that old topic, is OLD, lets talk about the present. With this Chipotle about to open on Walnut and sometime soon one will open at 12th and Market, are we seeing the beginning of a Mexican Food war in Philly? lol
    Last edited by mixiboi; 10-15-2010 at 04:43 PM.

seand is online now Senior Member

Is it time for a "Battle of the Burritos" headline yet?

desolate is offline Double spaced

Quote Originally Posted by newmarlig View Post
    I'm just wondering because a Chipotle is opening at the old Susanna Foo space, just a few doors from Qdoba. Their menus seem very similar.
    both words require you to hear another say it before you don't look stupid. I'm only now saying chapotle vhipolt.. er.
    I'm not seeing all these supposed bikes in all these million dollar bike lanes.

borntochill is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by mixiboi View Post
    That's like saying whats the difference between Burger King and McDonalds...
    Not really.

Chipotle does many things differently. A significant amount of their ingredients come from small family farms, are organically and/or locally grown; are from farmers who practice more humane treatment of their livestock and do not pump their animals full of hormones, etc. Their website has information about the specifics. Chipotle also avoids shortcuts typically made by fast food chains like making guacamole in a food processor or mixer. Instead they mash their avocados manually in small batches.

Everything I've tried there tastes very fresh and I find it as good or better than many mom and pop burrito joints. I'm not a big fast food fan, but I really like Chipotle.

phillyaggie is offline Senior Member

And since that old topic, is OLD, lets talk about the present. With this Chipotle about to open on Walnut and sometime soon one will open at 12th and Market, are we seeing the beginning of a Mexican Food war in Philly? lol
    that's news to me. any linky on this?
    "The only difference between the Republican and Democratic parties is the velocities with which their knees hit the floor when corporations knock on their door. That's the only difference."
    - Ralph Nader

I used to eat Chipotle's veggie bowls on a regular basis in Dallas...just a great way to get carry out that was cheap yet fresh, vegetarian, filling, and altogether a delight to eat. The cilantro rice is great. Their guac is also very good. And so is their corn salsa and the hot (red) salsa... salsa roja.

Moving to Center City, I've tried almost all the burrito places and Qdoba is okay but I'm thinking when the Chipotle opens, I'm pretty much sticking to that one. The Mexico On The Square is okay...pricey for what they give you, actually. The Santa Fe joint at Jefferson's campus serves a lot of options, even several vegetarian options, but I never seem to like their final product, nor their counter person's attitude for that matter. And El Fuego is also expensive...I ate there once when I was brand new to town, and ordered pretty much what I would at Chipotle in Dallas...their lunch set me back $15 as I recall...shocking. I spend less than that at Comcast's DiBruno's at lunchtime. May be the Chipotle pricing here in Center City will also be that way, I don't know...will soon find out, i suppose.
    "The only difference between the Republican and Democratic parties is the velocities with which their knees hit the floor when corporations knock on their door. That's the only difference."
    - Ralph Nader

kannon is offline Senior Member

chipotle simply for the fact it is fresh and organic plus all the meat and poultry has been grass fed. The service is a hundred times better!

mixiboi is online now Philly Remixed

Quote Originally Posted by phillyaggie View Post
    that's news to me. any linky on this?
    We kinda figure that out a couple of weeks ago:

http://www.philadelphiaspeaks.com/fo...-becoming.html

And the person connected to it was:

Lisa Drake - LinkedIn

Seanibus is offline Senior Member

Dump both places and go to Hot Tamales on JFK between 18th and 19th, next to City Garden. Cheap, delicious, healthy Mexican (though, despite the name, they do not serve tamales. Go figure).
    Owl looked at Rabbit and wondered whether to push him off the tree, but feeling that he could always do it afterward, he tried once more to find out what they were talking about.

Insoluble is offline Senior Member

Thanks for the tip Seanibus, There are tons of places around the city to get quick and good Mexican eats. The chains don't come close to comparing. That being said Qudoba is superior to Chipotle when it comes to the national chains.

stonefly is offline Plecoptera

La Raza has the great burritos. Their location is in a rough part of town though. I used to stop there frequently when I worked nearby.

Taqueria La Raza
    227 W Allegheny Ave, Philadelphia, PA 19133-3618
    (215) 291-2941

We kinda figure that out a couple of weeks ago:

http://www.philadelphiaspeaks.com/fo...-becoming.html

And the person connected to it was:

Lisa Drake - LinkedIn
    Thanks, I hadn't paid attention to that thread.

two Chipotle's...yay!
    - Ralph Nader

eldondre is online now Moderator

how in god's name did you spend $15 at el fuego? I don't know that I'ever every gone over $9. two beers?
    "It has shown me that everything is illuminated in the light of the past"
    Jonathan Safran Foer

It was lunchtime, so certainly not two beers, but not even any beers as I recall. It was just vegetarian burrito...that doesn't include guac so i paid extra for it without knowing they would charge extra for it when i asked the guy to put it in. So the guac was like $1.50 extra. Fountain drink was like $2.00 extra. And I thought the burrito he built for me was on the small side and I was really hungry, having not had good meal due to having moved recently and what not...(I lost about 10 pounds in first 2 weeks here) so I order a chips/guac with it too, which was probably another $3. Add in the tax, and I remember it was about $14-15.

In fact, just lookedup their menu online:

veggie burrito: $6.95
    soda: $2.00
    chips & guac: $3.00
    guac (because it doesn't come std in veggie burrito unlike at chipotle): $2.00

that's $13.95 right there. Add in Uncle Nutter's taxes...
    - Ralph Nader

Quote Originally Posted by Seanibus View Post
    Dump both places and go to Hot Tamales on JFK between 18th and 19th, next to City Garden. Cheap, delicious, healthy Mexican (though, despite the name, they do not serve tamales. Go figure).
    am always looking for new ideas for lunch in Market West. This one sounds promising, I'll have to check it out sometime this week. Thanks!
    - Ralph Nader

eldondre is online now Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by phillyaggie View Post
    It was lunchtime, so certainly not two beers, but not even any beers as I recall. It was just vegetarian burrito...that doesn't include guac so i paid extra for it without knowing they would charge extra for it when i asked the guy to put it in. So the guac was like $1.50 extra. Fountain drink was like $2.00 extra. And I thought the burrito he built for me was on the small side and I was really hungry, having not had good meal due to having moved recently and what not...(I lost about 10 pounds in first 2 weeks here) so I order a chips/guac with it too, which was probably another $3. Add in the tax, and I remember it was about $14-15.

In fact, just lookedup their menu online:

veggie burrito: $6.95
    soda: $2.00
    chips & guac: $3.00
    guac (because it doesn't come std in veggie burrito unlike at chipotle): $2.00

that's $13.95 right there. Add in Uncle Nutter's taxes...
    impressed, I can't finish their burritos. personally, I find fresh made guac in a burrito wasteful...but I don't even eat burritos anymore. I usually buy tacos where you can taste the meat and fresh guac.
    "It has shown me that everything is illuminated in the light of the past"
    Jonathan Safran Foer