Register
+ Reply to Thread
    BALLZ2BHERE is offline Senior Member

Thumbs down methadone clinic zoning meeting tonight at 6pm

The proposal is for the corner building at Front and diamond sts. To be converted into an out patient methadone dispensary. The meeting for this will be tonight at 6pm United Methodist church Hancock and susquahanana sts. Please come and voice your opinion

I don't see this helping revitalize the front st corridor. But ,hey,Maria Sanchez and Pat Decarlo support it so what do I know?

eldondre is offline Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by BALLZ2BHERE View Post
    I don't see this helping revitalize the front st corridor. But ,hey,Maria Sanchez and Pat Decarlo support it so what do I know?
    I don't know if it's better or worse since it's relocating from so close by. at least they're restoring a vacant building but yeah, a methadone clinic seems like a negative for the area and explains why you see some of the people you do wandering around
    "It has shown me that everything is illuminated in the light of the past"
    Jonathan Safran Foer

seand is offline Senior Member

Do I have to sit through the whole meeting to get the methadone?

I believe You can actually pick up a sample on your way in.

seand is offline Senior Member

Great. Just as long as noone makes me talk about Jesus or anything.

Quote Originally Posted by eldondre View Post
    I don't know if it's better or worse since it's relocating from so close by. at least they're restoring a vacant building but yeah, a methadone clinic seems like a negative for the area and explains why you see some of the people you do wandering around
    well it's vacant because Kensington hospital has been sitting on the building for all these years. And the fact that they are only renovating it to move the clinic out of the hospital to increase the number of clients is a little disturbing. The hospital does this on the second floor under strict security. How secure and contained will it be at ground level on Front st. ?

58-8 against. . The dude running it, Willie Gonzalez, complete nut job.

ArcticSplash is offline Dixie Normus

Kensington Hospital appears to me that it's on the verge of bankruptcy. They just received grant funding to do this project to move the methadone clinic to under the EL.

>90% of its patient revenue comes from PA Medicaid claims; which isn't unusual given its patient population. It devolved over the decades from being a general community hospital to its primary focus as a drug/detox operation (it has other services, they're just nowhere near as busy as the addiction programs). The last 990 available for KH shows that they spend everything that comes in with annual expenses amounting to as much as the value of all their assets: http://www.guidestar.org/FinDocument...09555969-9.pdf

The current practice is small, only 132 patients per day caseload in the methadone program.

With the new space it will be large enough to handle a far greater number of patients. I expect it to transform itself once they grow their caseload and it will become much more like the other factory-type storefront clinics that we have in town. The worst one everyone has seen was Parkside Recovery where drug dealing was going on 5 feet away from the front door:

NBC10 Catches Suspicious Activity Outside Methadone Clinic - YouTube

The current clinic has not been a problem because it's hard for dealers to loiter outside the property when the patients have to go upstairs to be seen, plus the hours of the clinic begin at 6AM. It's size is also so small there's not a problem with congregants outdoors like you see with the other clinics around town. All that will change after the move.

It's moving to an area on Front Street that is quite desolate at all times of the day; there were very piss-poor answers as far as what they were going to do with security, whether they will stringently and aggressively stop any loitering and pen-in waiting patients into the building or inside their fenced parking lot to discourage dealers from hanging around it, hire additional armed security on site during operations, etc.

They're in over their heads.