Register
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ArcticSplash is offline Dixie Normus

Angry Catholic school converting to Senior Housing? One Resident Blocked It - PLEASE SIGN PETITION

The Senior Center That May Not Be (Unless You Sign This Petition) | Philadelinquency

Please take the time out today to sign the petition to convert Nativity BVM School into senior housing. The zoning case was overturned in Commonwealth Court and now we need broader support to help get this case to the Penna Supreme Court.

You can help stop blight by just clicking here and filling this out:

Port Richmond for Transforming Nativity School into Senior Living Petition

NickFromGtown is offline Senior Member

What reason could possibly justify blocking this reuse?

mixiboi is offline Philly Remixed

Quote Originally Posted by NickFromGtown View Post
    What reason could possibly justify blocking this reuse?
    They always have their reasons...
    Graphic Designer, Social Media Consultant. Twitter: @Sdlaugh

the mule is offline Tumescent Member

What a joke. Most (though not all) seniors living in senior housing do not drive, and as a result there are many senior buildings in densely populated areas that have received variances allowing for minimal parking or no parking at all. And how is conversion and presumably rehab of the building going to cause cement to fall onto the street? I'd say that's a hell of a lot more likely the longer it sits vacant.

Bobbie3Sheets is offline Member

Parking is an issue in and around this school. As a resident, I am not sure where I stand on this issue. I know I'd rather see an occupied building over a vacant one, but at what cost? They are looking to build an additional wing where there is potential for more parking spaces. They need the wing to maximize their return on investment. That tells me they are not really caring about the parking situation, nor are they concerned for the surrounding residents. Visitors and working staff will need parking too and despite what you think, elderly people do drive.

NickFromGtown is offline Senior Member

I wish people cared as much about improving our city as they care about ability to park their cars in front of their houses.

Fishtown has a large senior living community (Penn Home) at Belgrade and Susquehanna that's the same size as the present improvements in the PR case which is at Belgrade and Madison.

Penn Home has zero parking. It doesn't create a crisis in Fishtown as it's been operating under that non-conforming use for quite a long time. The property is so well-maintained that it's actually a community benefit. It has a beautiful center garden that opens out into Belgrade Street behind iron gates that almost has a "Society Hill" feeling for a few seconds as you walk past it.

When BVM's property was a school it had faculty parking all around and parents coming in and out dropping off kids. Allegheny Square is also right next door which has zero use on that City block other than a park and parking along all 4 sides plus BVM itself which has open spaces. I park there frequently to attend meetings at Our Lady of Help and I've never had that much trouble finding a spot.

The parking complaint is really bogus. The neighborhood support was overwhelming.

Maybe you didn't have problems parking because the school is currently vacant? Add 63 units fighting over 4 parking spaces and let me know how easy parking is then.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobbie3Sheets View Post
    Maybe you didn't have problems parking because the school is currently vacant? Add 63 units fighting over 4 parking spaces and let me know how easy parking is then.
    So when it was a busy school nobody had cars?

There is a parking lot behind the church which I am guessing teachers used for parking, but I am also guessing this lot isn't part of the package deal with the senior home. I also don't know many 1st thru 8th graders that drove back then. How come the fact that they owe 111K in back taxes isn't an issue on this one? Also I like how the Star's headline is "just another blighted building" as if it's the Thomas Buck Hosiery Factory. The only reason why it is blighted is because the Construction crews took out the bottom windows and put up plywood making it that much easier for junkies to break in. Smart move.

Broad Street Media LLC - Just another blighted building?

lucidinnature is offline Banned

Just another day of a self entitled society ruining progress. "oh noeeeees, I can't park directly in front of my house. I must not allow anything in my neighborhood!!!"

Blame your neighbors for having too many people living in each home with a car. That school is a perfect place for a senior center, and these types of projects are exactly what should be funded instead of giving gamble 100million or putting eminent domain on pizza shops for a mosque.

HLS
    HLS is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by ArcticSplash View Post
    The Senior Center That May Not Be (Unless You Sign This Petition)

Please take the time out today to sign the petition to convert Nativity BVM School into senior housing.
    The zoning case was overturned in Commonwealth Court and now we need broader support to help get this case to the Penna Supreme Court.
    Um, why continue the appeal?

Why not just re-submit the proposal under the new zoning code?

raider.adam is offline Senior Member

There is a parking lot behind the church which I am guessing teachers used for parking, but I am also guessing this lot isn't part of the package deal with the senior home. I also don't know many 1st thru 8th graders that drove back then. How come the fact that they owe 111K in back taxes isn't an issue on this one? Also I like how the Star's headline is "just another blighted building" as if it's the Thomas Buck Hosiery Factory. The only reason why it is blighted is because the Construction crews took out the bottom windows and put up plywood making it that much easier for junkies to break in. Smart move.
    What about this building am I missing? A church property has back property taxes?

From reading the story, it seems the only objection the Marshall's have is parking. Seems like a lot of work to block senior housing for that reason.

raider.adam is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by HLS View Post

Under the new code they don't need a variance still?

I guess you can only cry about parking when it effects you for like 6 hours.

http://www.philadelphiaspeaks.com/fo...g-parking.html

Also, if you live on a block in Fishtown with 2 hour permit parking you really shouldn't be talking smack. I said I was on the fence about this and no-one has really gave a valid point other than saying your a NIMBY.

lucidinnature is offline Banned

Also, if you live on a block in Fishtown with 2 hour permit parking you really shouldn't be talking smack. I said I was on the fence about this and no-one has really gave a valid point other than saying your a NIMBY.
    So you just said 'you're a nimby' is a valid point. Thanks for agreeing!

Uhm, THAT was a party that was floated for 2,500 DOOSHbags that would have dumped HUNDREDS of cars and it was in a building that did not have a permit to hold the party and frankly... who wants a taste of Old City party scene cray-cray drama next to their homes even for a little bit? All the random spots of puke, drunk dudes pissing in backyards, and cars getting sideswiped by drunkbois and gurlz on their way out after the party ends? No thanks. Spring Garden was a much better place for it and they picked it at what used to be club Transit. Nobody lives next to it and the noise can go as loud as they want; nobody will care and nobody will mind the drunks when it lets out.

This sit-chee-ayshun on the other hand is different. Go look at Penn Home over at Belgrade and Susky which is nearly the same size as that school and has zero parking. You will find a parking spot and its way more densely packed over there because there's also no park and no church anywhere near it. Holy Name is blocks away.

Well I take it back there is a church... Liberti Church is run inside 2424 York Street with 100 congregants, but all of them walk to church instead of drive.

Even if it's senior kenzos living in the building, it's not like they're gonna have 4 cars and a bass boat.

Come on dude... what other use can you do with that building that doesn't mean nobody will want to drive to it? Church offices? Parking. School? Parking. Commercial? Lotta parking. It's for your elderly neighbors man... for the ones who can't deal with living in a vertical rowhome anymore and need to have a single-level living space and they're selling their home to afford to be able to live out the rest of their lives there.
    Last edited by ArcticSplash; 01-18-2013 at 08:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HLS View Post

It still triggers parking. Plus: ZBA already approved them under the old code plus Common Pleas also said yes. It's easier at this point (and already invested all this time) to just go to the highest court in the land and get the straight dope.

The property is ridiculously zoned. It is RSA-5, single family ROWHOME.

So I guess you could blow up the whole building and then put in a bunch of rowhomes there by right---which means... they'll also want parking.

The parcel needs to be moved to a different zoning category (that takes PCPC and Councilman to fix) in order to get the building closer to by-right or conforming. As it stands right now the zoning base category is just flat ridiculous. A dunce cap zoned this lot at some point far off in the distant past and it's only helped exacerbate this mess.

Maybe it can become a retreat for sexual deviant child predators? Isn't it going to still be owned by the Archdiocese? Aren't they selling off all their prime real estate and retreats? They need new locales to hide their people. Why not put them in this building two blocks from a school where they can hang out in the park and give out taffys. You can say its 63 beds for senior citizens, but who are these senior citizens? Its a close drive to the hookers on K&A. Maybe they can ride their bike there on a nice day. You can play devils advocate with your sit-chee-ayshun, let me do it with mine.