Register
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ArcticSplash is offline Dixie Normus

Default Crime watch: iPhone 4/5 & Samsung Phones Targeted by Thieves

iPhones 4/4S/5 and Samsung phones have become a hot commodity.

1. DO NOT WALK AROUND WITH YOUR IPHONE CLEARLY VISIBLE. If you're going to take a call, stop walking and look around you before you do. Kids are targeting iPhone users because of their high resale value or they're changing out the cards in the phones for themselves.

2. Do not listen to music using the stock earbuds. iPhone users are easy to spot by their distinctive white earbuds, and the new earbuds that come with iPhone 5. Go to Radio Shack, Amazon, FYE, Target, etc. and get some different buds, preferably some black ones that aren't so prominent and easily give away that you're using an iPhone.

People are normally being targeted on the street and on mass transit. We've already had several robberies in Fishtown and Kensington and one just happened today all the way up in Bridesburg, and it was at gunpoint.

thetalkingmule is offline Senior Member

We could really use those two cops who were on foot for about a month a couple years back when people complained about not enough police presence. Is it just too dangerous for the cops to be walking around or a union type issue?
    "People who don't punch their ponies make me sick!"

Bobbie3Sheets is offline Member

I really think its time to start packing. I read and hear about crap constantly that I think its the only logical thing to do. How hard is to get a license to carry?

lucidinnature is offline Banned

Only two posts before this turned into a gun thread. Bravo.

Sailaway is offline Giggity Giggity Goo!

Well, this thread is about crime, and the prevention of same. Chances are a thread about a thread about the works of Henry David Thoreau won't turn into one.
    If you believe people should work till they die to pay for a government worker to retire at 50, you're a Democrat. Otherwise, you're a Republican. All other differences between the parties are trivial.

hkp
    hkp is offline Señor Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sailaway View Post
    Well, this thread is about crime, and the prevention of same. Chances are a thread about a thread about the works of Henry David Thoreau won't turn into one.
    Hank had an arsenal in that cabin, brother.

Dayman is offline Champion of the Sun

I think the rule is don't be stupid in the city and do notuse your technology where there are a high concentration of lowlifes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Paine
    “The World is my country, all Mankind are my brethren, and to do Good is my religion.”

Quote Originally Posted by Dayman View Post
    I think the rule is don't be stupid in the city and do notuse your technology where there are a high concentration of lowlifes.
    Exactly. It is about being observant. I don't think Death Wish has the same panache with a hipster sporting a snub nose 38 over the loss of a ****ing iPod.

AsYouWere is offline Banned

You mean like on public transit?

AsYouWere is offline Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Bobbie3Sheets View Post
    I really think its time to start packing. I read and hear about crap constantly that I think its the only logical thing to do. How hard is to get a license to carry?
    Somehow I doubt it's legal to pop someone running away with your smartphone in the back. If you can engineer a frontal
    shot you're probably good.

InYourVacancies is offline Blight Enthusiast

Exactly. Part of why this seems to happen so much is how many people are walking around just zoned out into their phones...I see it everywhere from Center City to to Kensington and beyond. Most of them wouldn't see you coming if you wanted to just snatch their phone and dart.

Part of preventing crime is making it harder for somebody to commit one on you, either through watching your back when you do use a phone or just by minimizing how much you have it out and visible.

besides, life is more interesting when you pay attention to it

Neb
    Neb is offline Senior Member

I wish someone would steal my Blackberry. Any takers? *crickets*
    "I seen a tortoise attack a peacock once. That sh*t was epic." --Philadelphia Zoo employee

Dayman is offline Champion of the Sun

Quote Originally Posted by AsYouWere View Post
    You mean like on public transit?
    Depends on the route and time of day.

9 AM on the 43? No one will bother you.

I've lived in a really sh!tty part of Kensington. I've never been robbed or mugged or had anything stolen. I don't act like nor look like a target. My brother, a 130 lbs skinny hipster, has been robbed twice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Paine
    “The World is my country, all Mankind are my brethren, and to do Good is my religion.”

2 more robberies:

ARMED ROBBERY @ HUNTINGDON & SEPVIVA
    A member of my congregation was robbed at gunpoint at approx. 11 pm last night at Huntingdon & Sepviva. He described the perpetrators as two black males but was too shaken to give any additional details. The M.O. sounded similar to other robberies which have been reported in the area.

And another one:
    ARMED ROBBERY at 730 pm last night African American Male w/ bad teeth wearing a Red hollister hoodie held up a teenage couple for her cell phone. Do not use your phone outside if you can avoid it.

Two people reported similar thefts at front and girard while waiting for the all night El bus. I told them to make police reports, but not sure if they did.

Oy it's so fkn annoying when people won't put in a police report.

NickleDimer is offline Senior Member

Here's a question: don't such a high percentage of people have smartphones nowadays that they could hold up pretty much anyone under 35 and get a decent piece of technology out of it? I'm skeptical if actually using your phone makes you that much more of a target.

Quote Originally Posted by NickleDimer View Post
    Here's a question: don't such a high percentage of people have smartphones nowadays that they could hold up pretty much anyone under 35 and get a decent piece of technology out of it? I'm skeptical if actually using your phone makes you that much more of a target.
    Perhaps, but since the iPhone 5 just came out and the price is still high on it, and also the Galaxy S, they're hot commodities. Not too much of a market for older RAZR phones.

Quote Originally Posted by NickleDimer View Post
    True, but these jackasses are opportunists. Both people I knew were using their phones when kids with hoodies rolled up on bikes and were gone in two seconds.

JePense is offline Senior Member

While not a deterrent, using an app like "Find My iPhone" can help in some situations. Sure the thief can wipe the phone and make the app useless, but you have a window of opportunity before he does that. And let's face it, thieves aren't the smartest people around, so that window might be wide open.

Here is a link to the free app:
    Find My iPhone

Follow the directions on this link to ensure your iPhone is properly set up to use that app. The article is somewhat dated but you should be able to figure it out for later versions of iOS.
    How to protect your iPhone from theft - PC Advisor

Here are some other settings to fluster a would-be thief:
    Protecting and Recovering Your iPhone and iPad from Loss and Theft

I am sure something like this exists on Android phones, too.