Register
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    SouthPhillyLady is offline Senior Member

Default Superfresh (pathmark) at 2nd and Girard

Hello:

Does anyone know when this store is scheduled to open?

Thank you!

mattruben is offline Member

The Inquirer story says late August. Only time will tell.

Best,
    Matt
    Matt Ruben
    President, Northern Liberties Neighbors Association
    700 N 3rd St 1st Fl 19123
    215 627 NLNA
    matt@nlna.org
    www.nlna.org

It'sJessMe is offline Senior Member

I work out at a gym on the 3rd floor of the building directly across the street and grabbed an elliptical by the windows on that side today. I counted 13 cars parked on the second level, and two work vans on the lower level. (And another car that drove in and around the parking lot, then down, then back out again, but no one got out. I was really bored so I can also tell you how many SUVs vs. 4-door cars if you care...). A couple of people came in and out of the store too.

The gym owner says that from what he's heard, they're moving forward pretty aggressively to open by the end of August.

AreB is offline Junior Member

I walked by this morning and the big ol' Pathmark signs on the building were being replaced by SuperFresh signs. A good sign (no pun intended.)

thetalkingmule is offline Senior Member

"People who don't punch their ponies make me sick!"

BarryG is offline Senior Member

Can someone explain to me why rebranding the PathMark as a SuperFresh is a good investment for a company in Chapter 11?

Darth Nihilius is offline Junior Member

opening day August 26th . I have been inside the store and it is really nice . Elevators on second street for pedestrian customers ,second story parking lot with about 100 spaces for drivers and a million dollar view of the skyline,bridge and piazza . Adding around 100 jobs in this neighborhood, in this economy . Whether you were hoping for a trader joes/ wegmans / whole foods or ponies and rainbows this is a WIN for the NL .

girardo19122 is offline Junior Member

isn't/wasn't that tower supposed to have a digital clock or something in it? anyone know if that's still the plan?

Scoats is offline Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by BarryG View Post
    Can someone explain to me why rebranding the PathMark as a SuperFresh is a good investment for a company in Chapter 11?
    It's really just evidence of why they are in Chapter 11 in the first place. Does anyone perceive any difference between the PathMark and Superfresh brands? No, both are big box generalists.

BarryG is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Scoats View Post
    It's really just evidence of why they are in Chapter 11 in the first place. Does anyone perceive any difference between the PathMark and Superfresh brands? No, both are big box generalists.
    The only thing I can think of is that SuperFresh has maybe an established upscale urban brand, with the 10th & South and Society Hill stores. The Philly PathMark stores around the core are in lower income areas. But I agree with you that the difference is negligible and calling it a SuperFresh is not going to attract shoppers--the location is paramount.

thoth is offline I LOOK LIKE THIS

Pathmark is slightly downmarket, SuperFresh is more of a regular supermarket. I imagine they thought it would be a better fit for NoLibs. South Kensington may be the sick man of the area right now, but that neighborhood is improving fast so I don't see why it's a bad choice for the area.

That's how I feel as well, but I can tell you they're definitely perceived differently in the minds of suburban housewives. I mentioned we were getting a SuperFresh rather than a Pathmark and all the moms seemed to think it was a huge upgrade. In reality, it may end up being the opposite. A&P was trying to revitalize the Pathmark brand by making it more upscale, organic and local. Now we're getting a normal SuperFresh(which I'm fine with).

I'm pretty sure the "upgrades" to the PathMark brand would have made it slightly more like a normal SuperFresh. Ever go to the one on South? they have organic and local foods already.

Quote Originally Posted by thetalkingmule View Post
    That's how I feel as well, but I can tell you they're definitely perceived differently in the minds of suburban housewives. I mentioned we were getting a SuperFresh rather than a Pathmark and all the moms seemed to think it was a huge upgrade. In reality, it may end up being the opposite. A&P was trying to revitalize the Pathmark brand by making it more upscale, organic and local. Now we're getting a normal SuperFresh(which I'm fine with).

Quote Originally Posted by thoth View Post
    I'm pretty sure the "upgrades" to the PathMark brand would have made it slightly more like a normal SuperFresh. Ever go to the one on South? they have organic and local foods already.
    I lost the link, but there were only 2 or 3 pilot stores of the new Pathmark and this was to be the 4th. The setup was much sweeter than SuperFresh. Any new supermarket is gonna be sweet though.

Quote Originally Posted by thoth View Post
    Pathmark is slightly downmarket, SuperFresh is more of a regular supermarket.
    A&P rebranded the Superfresh on Bustleton Ave to a PathMark when they bought the PathMark brand and stores. I was not aware of the store being downgraded in anyway. I'd say most people consider the two to be comparable if not identical big box supermarkets. But that's why the mgmt of A&P makes the big bux and I don't.

A&P rebranded the Superfresh on Bustleton Ave to a PathMark when they bought the PathMark brand and stores. I was not aware of the store being downgraded in anyway. I'd say most people consider the two to be comparable if not identical big box supermarkets. But that's why the mgmt of A&P makes the big bux and I don't.
    Then Maybe they realized some people still associate path mark with places like North philly and grays ferry. I dunno. Either way, yay

qguy is offline Member

I don't know why they don't call some, most, or all of them simply A&Ps.

Quote Originally Posted by qguy View Post
    I don't know why they don't call some, most, or all of them simply A&Ps.
    Read this.

loveisnoise is offline Senior Member

Read this.
    Gee, this book is obviously the end all be all to branding! The first quote?
    “Ries and Trout taught me everything I know about branding, marketing, and product management. When I had the idea of creating a very large thematic community on the Web, I first thought of Positioning....”—David Bohnett, Chairman and Founder of GeoCities
    That's the best endorsement they could get?

Read this.
    Working in the beer industry, over the years I have observed the wizards at Anheuser Busch with their obsession with creating new brands and extending existing brands. The branders are definitely sure of themselves and talk a lot, but I haven't seen them create much new revenue despite spending lots of money.

Regarding the Superfresh brand, the then wizards at A&P merely rebranded ALL of their A&Ps around here Superfresh way back when they created the brand. Why? Nobody ever really knew.

Badly run businesses often buy another badly run competitor in the delusion that their issue is not being big enough. I call this the Bigger Turd Theory of Management: Our turd of a business is not big enough; if we took another turd, combined them to made an even bigger turd, we'd turn it around! You see this with Sears buying Kmart, Penn buying NY Central (or vice versa), GM trying to buy Chrysler, now A&P buying Pathmark. If every case, they would have better off fixing their existing business, then maybe buying a poorly run competitor.

Gap did a fantastic job of creating three brands that cater to different clientèles yet do the same thing the same way.