Register
+ Reply to Thread
    tgttgt is offline Member

Default liberties west, 7th and fairmount

Anyone familiar with this gated complex? I'm thinking about renting there...how is it? I know its next to some projects.

maryTHEwretched is offline @PhillyGeekMary

Hi There -

My friend referred me to your question b/c she knew that I live here! =D

I have lived in LIBERTIES WEST (that's the official name of the gated comm) since Sept of last year. The obvious fact that it is GATED is awesome. Even though we are somewhat in a less than savory area, I don't feel unsafe at all. In addition to the gates (they are open daily M-Sat until 5pm), there is actually police cameras surrounding the area. I certainly do I make sure I stick to Spring Garden or Fairmount for the most part if I'm walking home late at night. There is parking within the gates but you must rent a spot for an additional $100/month. We park on the street and have again had no problem. There is 1 washer/dryer in every basement to be used by each of the 6 apts in the building ($2/use). There is also a nice size storage unit in the basement for each apt. Depending on the building / the owner / the size, apts vary in layout, carpeting etc. We looked at about 4 different places within Liberties West before deciding on an all-wood flooring 2 bedroom apt.

There are some definite cons to our apartment:
    -We are on the 1st floor and have NO CONTROL of our heat. There is a thermostat in the apt but we never turned it on all winter b/c it was WAY TOO HOT. If you look around the complex you can see other people in other buildings with fans and even A/C's still in their windows so I believe this is very much a dorm situation. The heat goes on and stays on sometime in November and gets turned off in May. You have no choice in the matter.
    -We had a slight issue with responsiveness with the handy man that takes care of all the buildings. Even though there are individual condos in addition to condos owned by the apt association, there is one attendant for all the apartments. I don't want to go into it too much but we have had issues with reaching him and being told things regarding our apt, particularly our storage unit. We're also not particularly confrontational about things so that could be part of the reason for our problems.

I would say that it fits our needs for right now, and I love being so close to Silk City, Abbaye and North Third (and No-Libs in general). It's just a short walk. The 47 bus runs right outside our door not to mention the short walk to either the El or the Sub. That means a lot to a person that loves going to Center City or South St for dinner. Hope you find what you're looking for!

loveisnoise is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by maryTHEwretched View Post
    If you look around the complex you can see other people in other buildings with fans and even A/C's still in their windows so I believe this is very much a dorm situation.
    That's because they were actually dorms before being converted to condos/apts.

amberstreet is offline Member

No not dorms low income housing

dunsho is offline Member

The police camera don't work!! yes the blue lights blink but it's not recording. Money comes from the Feds and there's no money to run them. Remember a few months back when the guy got stable and died? the police thinks dude got stab on 7th bwt fairmount and brown, the victim walked to 7th and brown and died, the stabber ran to 7th and fairmount, up fairmount towards 8th, where he stabbed another person.

Sharkfood is offline Senior Member

Wasn't a Temple law student stabbed by a crazed homeless guy outside this complex
    last wall while unpacking his trunk or something?

The incidence of crime definitely goes up as you travel west of 5th and 6th.

dunsho is offline Member

yea, got stab for no reason, dude walks by them victim and gfriend, turns back and stabs him

bobbiesdad is offline Junior Member

Wasn't there a rape/murder of a young woman east of 5th Street recently? I would never move anywhere near there. I like life in South Jersey within a gated community with a loaded gun under my pillow and an alarm system. Now that's safety.

loveisnoise is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by amberstreet View Post
    No not dorms low income housing
    When I went to look at them, the realtor said they were once dorms. News articles also stated it when they were first introduced for sale.

bobbiesdad is offline Junior Member

The realtor lied to you. Liberties West was previously named Penn-Town, a low income housing project. The reporters for the newspapers were probably not liars. They were just lazy.

maryTHEwretched is offline @PhillyGeekMary

I was told they were formally low income housing as well. I have also lived at 28th and Girard and never had an incident there either.