Register
+ Reply to Thread
Page 34 of 44 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 ... LastLast
    Cerulean Arts is offline Member

Now in our 7th year, Cerulean Arts looks forward to continuing our mission to cultivate an appreciation for art by holding exhibitions, offering unique decorative and fine art for sale and providing art instruction for personal development, in our current location.

North Broad neighbors worry they will be pushed out by Divine Lorraine project

thoth is offline I LOOK LIKE THIS

Quote Originally Posted by Cerulean Arts View Post
    Now in our 7th year, Cerulean Arts looks forward to continuing our mission to cultivate an appreciation for art by holding exhibitions, offering unique decorative and fine art for sale and providing art instruction for personal development, in our current location.

North Broad neighbors worry they will be pushed out by Divine Lorraine project
    meh i don't think you've got much to worry about yet, that school plan is probably not happening any time soon. Stupid of them to come up with a rendering that deletes a bunch of streets and demolishes buildings for a completely speculative plan.

AbortedWalrus is offline Senior Member

Blumenfeld and Penny Giles from the FNCDC are on Radio Times right now. I only caught a bit of it, but I intend to fully listen to it later when it goes up on their site.

JakeL is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by AbortedWalrus View Post
    Blumenfeld and Penny Giles from the FNCDC are on Radio Times right now. I only caught a bit of it, but I intend to fully listen to it later when it goes up on their site.
    Here you go: The Divine Lorraine and development on North Broad | Radio Times | WHYY

DCnPhilly is offline Senior Member

Local Darwin Award recipient swan dives while trespassing and vandalizing the Divine Lorraine, becomes Temple legend and recognized Philadelphia Inquirer "daredevil." Congrats, a** hole.

Plunge inside Divine Lorraine teaches Temple daredevil a hard lesson

Titus is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by DCnPhilly View Post
    Local Darwin Award recipient swan dives while trespassing and vandalizing the Divine Lorraine, becomes Temple legend and recognized Philadelphia Inquirer "daredevil." Congrats, a** hole.

This.

mixiboi is offline Philly Remixed

Failed Darwin Award recipient swan dives while trespassing and vandalizing the Divine Lorraine, becomes Temple legend and recognized Philadelphia Inquirer "daredevil." Congrats, a** hole.

Yuo have to die to win a Darwin Award
    Graphic Designer, Social Media Consultant. Twitter: @Sdlaugh

raider.adam is offline Senior Member

He could not remember how or why he had landed in the hospital. His first thought was it must be alcohol poisoning from a drinking binge.
    That also says something when you are 19, wake up in a hospital and the first thought that comes to mind it that it must be from alcohol poisoning.

But his favorite, he told his parents, was the Divine Lorraine. From the roof, it had the best view of the city. One rainy night, he had scaled its heights to spray-paint "717" - the area code for York - on the roof.

"Brian," his mother had cautioned, "these buildings are blocked off for a reason."
    I would also like to hope she told him he shouldn't be vandalizing property.

"How did I not see that?" he wondered.
    My guess is that it was because it was night when they were in there...

MarketStEl is offline Will Work for Food, But Prefers Cash
    East Germantown rocks! But watch your back.

"A**hole"? I think that's a bit too strong of a term to describe this person.

"Fool"? Probably a better fit. After all, he did learn from his experience - the hard way.
    Sandy Smith, Wanderer in Germantown, Philadelphia
    Editor-in-Chief, Philly Living Blog - but all opinions expressed here are mine and mine alone.
    ""Jazz and blogging are both intimate, improvisational, and individual -- but also inherently collective. And the audience talks over both." --Andrew Sullivan, "Why I Blog," The Atlantic, November 2008

thoth is offline I LOOK LIKE THIS

Half the city has been in that building illegally. this guy was just dumb and/or unlucky.

MNG1324 is offline Senior Member
    Harrisburg/Center City weekend Condo owner

I guess there's a new college major....Gravity.

No Darwin Award because you have to pass on but hey like the Eagles there's always next year.

There is a new (at least to my knowledge) EBRM Leasing sign up on the Divine Lorraine. It's advertising space for lease, including a ballroom, and an outdoor deck area.

Hopefully this is an omen that work will be starting soon. Although you'd think we'd have seen some type of rendering or plan by this point if that were the case.

Baloo is offline Senior Member

Good to hear someone actually has plans to develop this place, it's a disgrace for such a large building to sit there abandoned like that.

Seriously. What is it with this building? It's getting almost as sad as the Church of the Assumption, where everyone knows its doomed but still stands as a testament to poor decisions. Almost.

There are quite a few condos and apartments on North Broad Street. I don't understand why this, of all available property up there, can't find a tenant.

Radical Ed is offline Public Nuisance

Quote Originally Posted by thoth View Post
    Half the city has been in that building illegally.
    Not me...

"Fearlessly the idiot faced the crowd..."
    "...Smiling."

Pink Floyd

ajs8905 is offline Member

Seriously. What is it with this building? It's getting almost as sad as the Church of the Assumption, where everyone knows its doomed but still stands as a testament to poor decisions. Almost.

There are quite a few condos and apartments on North Broad Street. I don't understand why this, of all available property up there, can't find a tenant.
    Not really sure what you're talking about... Blumenfeld recently purchased the Divine Lorraine and has plans to covert it into a luxury apartment/restaurant complex. So, I'd say it's far from being doomed. Furthermore, according to AbortedWalrus, a leasing sign was posted on the building a few weeks ago. In my opinion, I'd say a few weeks is hardly enough time to claim that the "property is unable to find a tenant."

It really a shame how many Philadelphians disregard their city's history and architectural heritage.
    Last edited by ajs8905; 03-03-2013 at 08:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ajs8905 View Post
    Not really sure what you're talking about... Blumenfeld recently purchased the Divine Lorraine and has plans to covert it into a luxury apartment/restaurant complex. So, I'd say it's far from being doomed. Furthermore, according to AbortedWalrus, a leasing sign was posted on the building a few weeks ago. In my opinion, I'd say a few weeks is hardly enough time to claim that the "property is unable to find a tenant."

It really a shame how many Philadelphians disregard their city's history and architectural heritage.
    I hope you're right. It's not the first time firm plans have been made for the building. I'm certainly not disregarding the city's history. Quite the opposite. What I'm saying is that somehow while a handful of swanky lofts have taken up on North Broad Street, it's perplexing that this landmark hasn't already been developed.

eldondre is offline Moderator

the door is open, comstruction lighting hung inside , looked like permits posted
    "It has shown me that everything is illuminated in the light of the past"
    Jonathan Safran Foer

Quote Originally Posted by eldondre View Post
    the door is open, comstruction lighting hung inside , looked like permits posted
    Wow I didn't notice either time I passed it today. Will have to pay attention tomorrow.

ofeibush is offline Senior Member

Default yep yep

Quote Originally Posted by AbortedWalrus View Post
    Wow I didn't notice either time I passed it today. Will have to pay attention tomorrow.

We Hear Whispers that the Divine Lorraine Has Its First Tenant | NakedPhilly