Register
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 122

Thread: Pizza

  1. #1
    Catman is offline Smiley Whore
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    115

    Default Pizza

    With all the pizza shops around here why does the pizza suck so hard? No one seems to make fresh dough in fact I suspect several places of using pre-made frozen dough. Even the cheese in most of these places suck. It has a plastic like fake consistency.

    Places I have tried:

    Luigi's Pizza Fresca - Overpriced but passable. Needs a better crust and stop being stingy with the toppings
    Italian Express - Good crust but plastic like cheese. Also they will rip you off when asking for extra cheese. They will charge extra but not give it to you.
    Fairmount Pizza - Meh nothing special here
    Lazos - Claims to be best in Philly but not good at all
    John's Place - God Awful...might be the worst in the City
    City View - Bad crust used to be good a few years back
    Little Johns - Bad crust not enough toppings
    Brandywine Pizza - Bad in every way
    Angelino's - Not a fan of burnt pizza

    and last of all...

    Pete's Famous Pizza Fairmount Ave - Famously Bad

    What the hell happened to this place? Ever since the ownership changed everything is god awful. Used to have decent pizza but now its bad bad bad. The crust sucks, plastic like cheese and rancid sauce does not a good pizza make. I have ordered from Pete's since I was a kid and the food was usually pretty decent but the food quality has gone in the toilet here and its not just the pizza. Can't say I'm a big fan of chicken wings with more hair on them than meat.



    If I am going to pay $20 for a pizza it better be with dough that is made fresh daily, real mozzarella not the fake plactic "pizza cheese" everyone uses now and fresh toppings. If I order a pepperoni pizza their should be more than 12 pieces of pepperoni on it.

  2. #2
    Biggie is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Brewerytown
    Posts
    4

    Default

    Agreed with all the comments except that I like Angelino's, but I have to admit I am not a big fan of his cheese. It seems to dry out and taste like plastic. If anyone knows of a good pizza place please let me know.

  3. #3
    Frejo is offline Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Spring Garden
    Posts
    46

    Default

    +1 to all above

    Used to love it when Lombardi's was open. They had great coal oven pizza. Actually, Fairmount has gotten much better over the years, but as stated, still meh. Luigi's is our go to place now...but nothing great, but bettter than most listed above. Sometimes get Slice, but by the time it gets here it's always cold.

    You actually forgot Pronto - which must be run by a bunch of morons, because every time I have attempted to order they screwed up the pizza (pep + mush) but forgot one or the other.

  4. #4
    AsYouWere is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    1,378

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frejo View Post

    You actually forgot Pronto - which must be run by a bunch of morons, because every time I have attempted to order they screwed up the pizza (pep + mush) but forgot one or the other.
    You'd have to be a moron yourself to not check the pizza before paying for the simple reason that - they're also morons. Best to bring your own knife to cut the tape like they're shipping the f-ing thing to India.

  5. #5
    AsYouWere is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    1,378

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frejo View Post

    You actually forgot Pronto - which must be run by a bunch of morons, because every time I have attempted to order they screwed up the pizza (pep + mush) but forgot one or the other.
    You'd have to be a moron yourself to not check the pizza before paying for the simple reason that - they're also morons. Best to bring your own knife to cut the tape like they're shipping the f-ing thing to India lol.

  6. #6
    Catman is offline Smiley Whore
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    115

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frejo View Post
    +1 to all above

    Used to love it when Lombardi's was open. They had great coal oven pizza. Actually, Fairmount has gotten much better over the years, but as stated, still meh. Luigi's is our go to place now...but nothing great, but bettter than most listed above. Sometimes get Slice, but by the time it gets here it's always cold.

    You actually forgot Pronto - which must be run by a bunch of morons, because every time I have attempted to order they screwed up the pizza (pep + mush) but forgot one or the other.
    Where is Pronto? Don't think I have heard of them

  7. #7
    Titus is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,713

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Catman View Post
    Where is Pronto? Don't think I have heard of them
    NW corner of 15th & Spring Garden. Bad food.

  8. #8
    Krem is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    103

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Catman View Post
    Where is Pronto? Don't think I have heard of them
    It's a place on 15th and Spring Garden where Collosseo was for a hot second.

  9. #9
    PhilaCap is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    855

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Catman View Post
    With all the pizza shops around here why does the pizza suck so hard? No one seems to make fresh dough in fact I suspect several places of using pre-made frozen dough. Even the cheese in most of these places suck. It has a plastic like fake consistency.
    This is a problem across the region. Not just for the Fairmount area. Great pizza is hard to find.

  10. #10
    Winston's Avatar
    Winston is offline Junior Soprano
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Ye Olde Faire Mount
    Posts
    589

    Default

    Osteria has great pizza and even Rembrandt's does a nice job, but those are sit-down meals, not pick-up or delivery. I think your takes are spot on. I order from Brandywine and find it ranges from terrible to decent but nothing exceptional, and lately terrible more often than not.

    I clicked this thread hoping someone had found actual good pizza to go in Fairmount! No such luck. The search continues...

  11. #11
    raider.adam is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Sharswood
    Posts
    15,958

    Default

    Pizza out here in general is pretty bad. I prefer Pizza Hut to the majority of pizza places in the region (philly, jersey, etc.)

  12. #12
    DocAwesome's Avatar
    DocAwesome is offline The Doctor is In
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,063

    Default

    Sacrilegious as it may be, the new (as of maybe a year or so) Domino's pizzas are pretty tasty, and I'm somewhat picky about my pizza.
    If you are looking for something more upscale or more layered/less monolithic, I haven't found a good one yet in the immediate hood. Angelino's is a fine standby I guess. Fairmount pizza works for something quick. There used to be a great pizza place in the location that Sabrina's is in right now. It went out of business maybe 6 years ago.

  13. #13
    raider.adam is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Sharswood
    Posts
    15,958

    Default

    Mandatory mention when Dominos is brought up.

    http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/07/us...anted=all&_r=0

  14. #14
    RedBullMB is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    275

    Default

    Much too harsh on all of the local joints - perhaps familiarity breeds contempt? If you get pizza with any regularity obviously you need to come up with some sort of rotation, but none of those places are as bad as described. Sometimes I am in the mood for a certain type of crust, so I'll switch the places up. Also, topping selection plays a big part - I'll choose a different place depending on what combo of toppings I plan on getting. I'll grant that none of the local places are best of the best, but these options are better than what is available in lots of other places around town.

  15. #15
    guzzijason's Avatar
    guzzijason is offline Mostly Human
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    The land of wind and ghosts
    Posts
    1,824

    Default

    If you're OCD about pizza, then you do like me and learn to make your own that's better than most around here.

    One thing I think we can all agree on - Lazo's replacing Regional was a huuuuuuuuuuge step forward. Regional's pizza was the worst I've ever had, ever. I would prefer the pizza from my old high school cafeteria to the crap that Regional was putting out. Luckily, they're gone.

    And Adam - given you're from a place where they make a big lasagna and call it pizza, it's hard to take your criticism seriously.

    (LOL! jk)

    __Jason

  16. #16
    guzzijason's Avatar
    guzzijason is offline Mostly Human
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    The land of wind and ghosts
    Posts
    1,824

    Default

    (WTH is with the double posts problems here lately - I swear I only clicked submit once... grrr)

  17. #17
    raider.adam is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Sharswood
    Posts
    15,958

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by guzzijason View Post
    If you're OCD about pizza, then you do like me and learn to make your own that's better than most around here.
    ...
    And Adam - given you're from a place where they make a big lasagna and call it pizza, it's hard to take your criticism seriously.

    (LOL! jk)

    __Jason
    What can I say, I come from a better pizza culinary area.

    As for your first line, I use a springform pan to make my pizza.

  18. #18
    RedBullMB is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    275

    Default

    One would expect to save money when they make their own, but I usually find it to be almost as expensive and never as good.

  19. #19
    Catman is offline Smiley Whore
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    115

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Krem View Post
    It's a place on 15th and Spring Garden where Collosseo was for a hot second.
    Ah yes. I have tried Coloseo but again bad pizza

  20. #20
    Catman is offline Smiley Whore
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    115

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DocAwesome View Post
    Sacrilegious as it may be, the new (as of maybe a year or so) Domino's pizzas are pretty tasty, and I'm somewhat picky about my pizza.
    If you are looking for something more upscale or more layered/less monolithic, I haven't found a good one yet in the immediate hood. Angelino's is a fine standby I guess. Fairmount pizza works for something quick. There used to be a great pizza place in the location that Sabrina's is in right now. It went out of business maybe 6 years ago.
    Yes Domino's isn't bad but they turned me off with the new deep dish pizza. I ordered it and it was like 2 inches of raw dough. They don't cook it long enough.

    Papa Johns isn't bad either but they no longer deliver to Fairmount

 

 

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2