Register
+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 32 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast
    cycleguy is offline Junior Member

The co-owners of mugshots are suing each other the result of which is dissolving the partnership and selling the business. At the same time the ownership of 2100 Fairmount consists of both Angie, Jill, Jack M and a few others as of several years ago. So effectively you have Angie suing but Jill however Jill remains a part landlord. Hence Angie moves the operation down the street. Whether she moved out of annoyance or somehow the finances of their Mugshots partnership is tied up in the partnership of the building I have no idea.

Titus is offline Senior Member

the mule is offline Tumescent Member

I love how the hysterical commission can't even spell Fairmount right on their own document.

eldondre is online now Moderator

"It has shown me that everything is illuminated in the light of the past"
    Jonathan Safran Foer

MarketStEl is offline Will Work for Food, But Prefers Cash
    East Germantown rocks! But watch your back.

The litigation, btw, doesn't figure into the story now up on the PREBlog, and the Historical Commission didn't reject the entire project - just the garage-door windows.
    Sandy Smith, Wanderer in Germantown, Philadelphia
    Editor-in-Chief, Philly Living Blog - but all opinions expressed here are mine and mine alone.
    ""Jazz and blogging are both intimate, improvisational, and individual -- but also inherently collective. And the audience talks over both." --Andrew Sullivan, "Why I Blog," The Atlantic, November 2008

MrFox is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
    the Historical Commission didn't reject the entire project - just the garage-door windows.
    Not entirely accurate. The Historical Commission did, in fact, deny the application for the entire project. The garage doors were a common complaint among Commission members, and may well have resulted in the rejection of the application, but they were not the only aspect of the application that was denied.

Just wanted to clarify.

MarketStEl is offline Will Work for Food, But Prefers Cash
    East Germantown rocks! But watch your back.

Thanks.
    Sandy Smith, Wanderer in Germantown, Philadelphia
    Editor-in-Chief, Philly Living Blog - but all opinions expressed here are mine and mine alone.
    ""Jazz and blogging are both intimate, improvisational, and individual -- but also inherently collective. And the audience talks over both." --Andrew Sullivan, "Why I Blog," The Atlantic, November 2008

ArcticSplash is offline Dixie Normus

After going to court... a Common Pleas judge has just ordered OCF Cafe to OPEN for business.

22-12120022 AND NOW THIS 14TH DAY OF DECEMBER 2012, UPON CONSIDERATION OF THE PEITITON OF OCF CAFE, LLC., IT IS HEREBY ORDERED, AS FOLLOWS: (A). ALL "STOP WORK" ORDERS ISSUED PRIOR TO THE DATE OF THIS ORDER BY THE CITY OF PHILADELPHIA DEPT. OF L&I RELATING TO OCF CAFE, THE FIRST-FLOOR LESSEE AT 2100 FAIRMOUNT AVENUE PHILA PA ARE VACATED. (B) L&I SHALL REFRAIN FROM THE ISSUANCE OF ANY ADDITIONAL "STOP WORK" ORDERS RELATING TO THE ITEMS DESCRIBED HEREIN, WITHOUT COURT APPROVAL. (C) OCF CAFE IS ALLOWED, WITH PERMITS AS REQUIRED TO CONDUCT THE FOLLOWING EXTERIOR WORK ON THE PROPERTY TO RENOVATE THE FIRST FLOOR. IT IS FURTHER ORDERED THAT OCF SHALL POST A BOND IN THE AMOUNT OF $10,000.00 FORTHWITH TO PROTECT THE CITY'S INTEREST IN THE HISTORICAL NATURE OF THE PROPERTY AND ONGOING COMPLIANCE WITH ALL APPLICABLE CODE PROVISIONS AND TO BE SUPPLEMENTED WITH AN ADDITION 10,000.00 WITHIN 30 DAYS OF THE THE DATE OF THIS ORDER... BY THE COURT: J. TUCKER, SEE ORDER FOR MORE SPECIFIC TERMS:
    Any new stop work orders that L&I wants to put on OCF Cafe must be pre-approved by Judge Leon Tucker.

Gladys is offline Senior Member

"If you're going to tell people the truth, you better make them laugh; otherwise they'll kill you."
    - attributed to both George Bernard Shaw & Oscar Wilde

"I never clean up after my dogs, because I have trained them to run with me off leash while I ride my bike the wrong way on the sidewalk."
    - LUCas
    Originally Posted by Dave L We need to focus on banning both singers who crap on the sidewalk and dogs that annoy people with their singing. - Mondo

eldondre is online now Moderator

well, the only important question is what kind of windows will be there. who cares about coffee or food.
    "It has shown me that everything is illuminated in the light of the past"
    Jonathan Safran Foer

Gladys is offline Senior Member

better be damn good Joe! If i'm not too hung over i'll go cross town to get a cup new years day... but first i'll wait to see if they are actually open....
    "If you're going to tell people the truth, you better make them laugh; otherwise they'll kill you."
    - attributed to both George Bernard Shaw & Oscar Wilde

"I never clean up after my dogs, because I have trained them to run with me off leash while I ride my bike the wrong way on the sidewalk."
    - LUCas
    Originally Posted by Dave L We need to focus on banning both singers who crap on the sidewalk and dogs that annoy people with their singing. - Mondo

ofeibush is offline Senior Member

Default Have faith

Quote Originally Posted by Gladys View Post
    better be damn good Joe! If i'm not too hung over i'll go cross town to get a cup new years day... but first i'll wait to see if they are actually open....

We will be open.

Earl J is offline Member

Saw the menu on the philly.com link. If you going to offer faux scrapple why not offer the real stuff? I know it is a love hate thing but there should be enough love to justify.

No matter I am glad the good guys, transparent guys and the great majority of those who live in Spring Garden won here!

Default We are open!

Come on over!

chudclay is offline Senior Member

My first impression: Feels like a cafeteria.
    The building has great bones, so the space has fine beginnings. However, the space feels very stark and corporate-especially the seating.
    Is the cafe planning on building any sort of booths, or nooks? It really needs something in the line of welcome/warmth. Maybe this happens with time?

Default All in time

Couches and community tables are on the way.

mentulbloc is offline Member

Stopped in yesterday to get a bite to eat, some caffeine and to study. Overall, marked improvement in pretty much everything that was mugshots. Space feels much larger, finishes look high end, coffee is great, there is a ton more seating, and the menu is more expansive. The original finished hardwood, exposed metal ceiling (now probably around 12 feet high) and large large windows (screw the historical commission) are absolutely gorgeous. Staff was friendly and prompt. Had a turkey club that was tasty and reasonably priced (on par with mugshots). Wifi was also free.

The only thing that the old mughshots had going for it was that it was more quaint (unlike their new space next to Blue Cat). The revamped OCF space feels a little to large and suffers from a monotony of numerous similar sized tables, likened to a really nice cafeteria in an office complex. This will probably (hopefully) improve when the reported new furniture arrives, which should compartmentalize and break up the space a bit. Some art work and plantings I'm sure would also improve the ambiance. (Feisbush care to comment?)

If/when the setting fills in with some decor and spruced up furniture 2100 fairmount OCF will probably be the nicest coffee house/study spot in the city - and having been in school until the age of 32 I've pretty much have seen them all.

Default thank you

Seriously...thank you. That was very nice to read after putting so much time and energy into the space.

We are actively looking at the shop and how we can improve it. Everything from menu to decor and kitchen hours (longer, not shorter) will be updated as we progress.

The community tables will arrive sometime this weekend. They are 10' by 2.5' each and have benches instead of chairs for seating. They are made out of beautiful reclaimed wood that is similar to the floors. We have also ordered couches for the seating area to the left of the bar that are modern and contrast nicely with the rustic feel of the space.

I have several specific pieces of art and vegetation in mind but will bring them in a few pieces at a time. I like the simple look and don't want to go from too cafeteria-esk to too cluttered. There is a happy medium and I am hoping to find it.

The team we have put together for the kitchen and coffee bar is incredible...I want the space to match their awesomeness.

mentulbloc is offline Member

Thumbs up

Your welcome. I've been a resident of fairmount for abuot 5 years now, and the addition of more spruced up gathering places, from restaurants (hickory lane, lemon hill, fare, calaca feliz), coffe shops (OCF, crepery place), and retail (running and biking stores) has been a welcome change from the divy-er sort of places that were there initially. It always shocked me that an area with high income properties and rentals within walking distance to downtown and all major museums and trails had such a paucity of 'nicer looking' estabilishments. I mean brigids and bishops collar are cool, and a nice change but when the whole neighborhood is full of brigidies-collaries sort of places it gets old. Hopefully the trend continues, despite the pushback from local NIMBY groups and individuals. Thanks for helping the neighborhood look better and despite the garbage local groups have put you through, I am confident that the vast majority of locals would agree your estabilishment is a huge upgrade. Will continue to recommend to friends.

BBQ KING is offline Senior Member

Went this AM.
    Nice place, like the floors, agree with others it needs some "stuff" and stuff like tables and booths seem to be coming.
    It has a Berlin Eastern Euro feel in a good cool way. Curious to see how the historical Com. addresses the doors/windows.
    Need to check out the dinner options when they materialize.

I am suprised by how large it feels. I like it and will certainly go again.

Now, when will we see a becon, fried green tomato, and avacado option on the menu?