Register
+ Reply to Thread
Page 39 of 50 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast
    jizay is online now Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by zeolite View Post
    That stair design goes down as more stupid than the stupidist thing we could imagine in our wildest dreams, plus those steps wouldn't even bear the weight of a big, handsome union carpenter putting himself or kids through college, while gainfully providing health insurance to his or her family.
    Except when he's unemployed because the wages he demanded make construction unprofitable. In that case, he prevents anyone from putting kids through college or providing health insurance to a family.

zeolite is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by jizay View Post
    Except when he's unemployed because the wages he demanded make construction unprofitable. In that case, he prevents anyone from putting kids through college or providing health insurance to a family.
    All I know is that the unions got themselve's organized a long time ago and offer a certain product - as in on a big and important job they can provide all the trained mechanics to get the job done right, while also elevating the wages of non-union people especially on federal jobs where they set the prevailing wages for everyone.

Sharkfood is offline Senior Member

1506 Mount Vernon Street #2F, Philadelphia PA - Trulia

The above studio apartment on Mt. Vernon St. also has a utility loft that's being used as a sleeping area.

OffenseTaken is offline Junior Dilettante

Quote Originally Posted by Sharkfood View Post

The above studio apartment on Mt. Vernon St. also has a utility loft that's being used as a sleeping area.
    Must be real fun when you've got a date from the night before over and you have to do a number 2.

AbortedWalrus is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by zeolite View Post
    All I know is that the unions got themselve's organized a long time ago and offer a certain product - as in on a big and important job they can provide all the trained mechanics to get the job done right, while also elevating the wages of non-union people especially on federal jobs where they set the prevailing wages for everyone.
    So are you saying that you approve of unions which demand a wage that is unsustainable, and discouraged investment in the local economy? Because that's basically what we have in this city. The wages are only 15% less than NYC, where rents are over twice as high. It means razor thin or non-existent profit margins on construction. Which means less construction, less jobs, and less economic development.

The labor market works out when neither the management nor the labor has a significant power advantage over the other side. Then you get good balanced wages and profitability. The problem is that the power balance in Philadelphia is out of whack, and it's in the favor of the labor. That means businesses can't justify the costs of the labor here, and we end up with the stagnant economy we have.

Tartan69 is online now Pawn in game of life

The difference though is that the ladder to reach that space doesn't block the exit.

fiveomar is offline Senior Member

Today on my way to lunch I encountered a union goon on the corner of 20th & Chestnut handing out flyers related to the "Post Brothers." I threw the flyer away, but there were some pretty ridiculous claims about the Post Brothers storing and smuggling heroine and cocaine. Incredible (or is it, knowing them) they would resort to these tactics- perhaps a defamation lawsuit against the union is in order? The individual was even wearing union clothing to indicate that he was representing the union.

Quote Originally Posted by Tartan69 View Post
    The difference though is that the ladder to reach that space doesn't block the exit.
    A ship ladder to living space is against code.

ArcticSplash is offline Dixie Normus

Quote Originally Posted by fiveomar View Post
    Today on my way to lunch I encountered a union goon on the corner of 20th & Chestnut handing out flyers related to the "Post Brothers." I threw the flyer away, but there were some pretty ridiculous claims about the Post Brothers storing and smuggling heroine and cocaine. Incredible (or is it, knowing them) they would resort to these tactics- perhaps a defamation lawsuit against the union is in order? The individual was even wearing union clothing to indicate that he was representing the union.
    What??? You tossed an awesome flyer with genuine defamatory statements in it?

ArcticSplash is offline Dixie Normus

Are The Building Trades Claiming the Pestronk Bros. To Be Heroin Smugglers? | PDQ

If any of you see trades guys giving out handbills over the Pestronk flap, please don't toss them... SCAN them and email them over to philadelinquency@gmail.com

Claims of the Pestronk Bros being heroine and cocaine smuggers definitely sets a new low they haven't bested since they photoshopped Carrie Pestronk sucking a cock.

A ship ladder to living space is against code.
    You know I was going to add onto the end of my post something along the lines of "whether that would pass code or not is another matter", but I had no idea if that was true or not so I didn't want to put my foot in my mouth. I do that enough during the day...

Quote Originally Posted by ArcticSplash View Post
    [url=http://www.philadelinquency.com/?p=3485] since they photoshopped Carrie Pestronk sucking a cock.
    I have to admit I googled "Carrie Pestronk photoshop" but nothing came up. I'm not googling anything else...

EDIT -- and then I went to Arctic's site...
    Last edited by Tartan69; 09-25-2013 at 11:06 PM. Reason: ew

zeolite is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by OffenseTaken View Post
    Must be real fun when you've got a date from the night before over and you have to do a number 2.
    And forget about a #3, hope at least the exhaust fans are in order...or maybe they could rectify with drop-down masks like on airplanes.

Quote Originally Posted by AbortedWalrus View Post
    So are you saying that you approve of unions which demand a wage that is unsustainable, and discouraged investment in the local economy? Because that's basically what we have in this city. The wages are only 15% less than NYC, where rents are over twice as high. It means razor thin or non-existent profit margins on construction. Which means less construction, less jobs, and less economic development.

The labor market works out when neither the management nor the labor has a significant power advantage over the other side. Then you get good balanced wages and profitability. The problem is that the power balance in Philadelphia is out of whack, and it's in the favor of the labor. That means businesses can't justify the costs of the labor here, and we end up with the stagnant economy we have.
    I'm just pointing out that these guys, like it or not, actually vote as a PAC and are organized like the teachers and municipal workers. In Philly it's been taken to an extreme which may ultimately backfire yet the concept is sound in that they are still heard and not just brushed off as a bunch of disorganized idiots.
    They want work at a good wage, are the best trained, and they walk the talk.

DCnPhilly is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by fiveomar View Post
    The notion of suing a union for defamation comes up again and again. The problem with that is their gang-like tactics: United in attack, then scatter like roaches. A union sends their members to do their bidding, then when one steps out of line the overlords claim that a rogue member acted on his own accord.

They've passed out some nasty accusations at 12th and Wood too, hel1 they've even posted some on their banners. If you could even pinpoint which union they belong to (Local XYZ), none of their fliers are printed on union letterhead.

They're thugs. The clear, plain and simple definition of a common thug.

It's funny, the second a friend of a friend of someone a Pestronk brother went to prom with were to reveal she smoked pot in 11th grade, Philly.com would post it on their front page and the Union's buddies in City Council would launch a full scale investigation.

They live in a fantasy world, one I'm not sure exists in their head or New Jersey. And City Council and the media seem to live somewhere in the vicinity of that rabbit hole. It's certainly nowhere near Vine Street.

Where's the media when these slanderous fliers are being passed around? Where's City Council when these illegal signs are haphazardly thrown up in Center ****ing City? Oh right, they're telling citizens they'll be arrested for vandalism if they attempt to remove the illegal signs.

Do the unions really provide the city so much revenue that City Hall needs to keep kissing their a$ses? Do they really account for enough votes to stay relevant?

If message boards and comments are any indication, no, not at all. As far as the city seems concerned, unions are just the bully you learn to live with.

While reasonable individuals occasionally defend the existence of unions, I have yet to meet one who defends these slanderous tactics.

I can't wait for this ****ing building to be finished and prove once and for all that a building - at least one building - can be built without a bunch of overpriced flab from the suburbs crying about "community standards."

Not one person in this community has complained about the Post Brothers. If anyone's keeping Callowhill a catbox it's the guys watching over their dearly beloved bandit signs atop the Expressway, their buddies in City Council who support them for seemingly no reason, and the media who's discovered that any article with the word "union" in it is a gold mine in ad sales.
    Turn on the Lights at Market East!

@mrwrightnow1: Mayor we need to get a campaign on littering in this city?
    @Michael_Nutter: We have one...Unlitter Us spoken word artists

Obviously it isn't working.

palvar is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by DCnPhilly View Post
    Do they really account for enough votes to stay relevant?
    Primary turnout is embarrassingly low. At the one primary I worked in the northeast, it was mostly union folks coming in to vote.

George Foley is offline Member

Default Fooled.

The Post Brothers really have everyone fooled.
    It's a shame that reasonable people let their emotions cloud their judgement.

You people have so much hate for the unions (admittedly they did not help their cause) that you cannot open your eyes up to the reality of Post.

If I told you people that despite what the Post Brothers say, they in fact DO NOT employee a majority Philadelphia work force.
    If I told you people that despite what they say, that in fact their employee's DO NOT all have OSHA training.
    If I told you all that the majority of their workforce works "off the books", pay ZERO TAXES and contribute NOTHING to Philadelphia..........

Would anyone here believe me????

What if I told you all that the majority of their workforce are all "questionable" in their citizenship status?
    How about the relationship they have with L&I ???? How about that those steps are a clear violation of the uniform construction code? The very same code that the city has adopted and claims to enforce.
    How about the fact that they are clearly advertising the "lofts" as living spaces, yet the approved prints (that are available to the public) make absolutely no mention of any loft living space? In fact, when this very point was brought to L&I's attention, they claimed that the "lofts" are "utility spaces" and that the steps were only access for workers....

The inspector that made this call is a known gambler with a paper trail of financial problems years long. I'll spare his name on this forum........

If I told all you people that I CAN PROVE all of this would any of you believe me????

Can I make blanket statements and pass them off as facts with out any proof just like the Post Brothers?

Who are you all gonna blame when the Pestronks get hauled off to prison for fraud and tax evasion?

Quote Originally Posted by George Foley View Post
    The Post Brothers really have everyone fooled.
    It's a shame that reasonable people let their emotions cloud their judgement.

You people have so much hate for the unions (admittedly they did not help their cause) that you cannot open your eyes up to the reality of Post.

If I told you people that despite what the Post Brothers say, they in fact DO NOT employee a majority Philadelphia work force.
    If I told you people that despite what they say, that in fact their employee's DO NOT all have OSHA training.
    If I told you all that the majority of their workforce works "off the books", pay ZERO TAXES and contribute NOTHING to Philadelphia..........

Would anyone here believe me????

What if I told you all that the majority of their workforce are all "questionable" in their citizenship status?
    How about the relationship they have with L&I ???? How about that those steps are a clear violation of the uniform construction code? The very same code that the city has adopted and claims to enforce.
    How about the fact that they are clearly advertising the "lofts" as living spaces, yet the approved prints (that are available to the public) make absolutely no mention of any loft living space? In fact, when this very point was brought to L&I's attention, they claimed that the "lofts" are "utility spaces" and that the steps were only access for workers....

The inspector that made this call is a known gambler with a paper trail of financial problems years long. I'll spare his name on this forum........

If I told all you people that I CAN PROVE all of this would any of you believe me????

Can I make blanket statements and pass them off as facts with out any proof just like the Post Brothers?

Who are you all gonna blame when the Pestronks get hauled off to prison for fraud and tax evasion?
    You know, it's funny that at a time when Congress is debating a mass amnesty for illegal immigrants, when Philadelphia has a "new Philadelphians" office to welcome immigrants, when a bryn Mawr student outs herself as an illegal immigrant, you have the nerve to question the right of immigrants to find work in the city. Jim Kenney, one of the champions of welcoming immigrants to the city, suddenly dances to another tune when it comes to giving immigrants' access to the construction trades. It's hypocrisy.

You know, it's funny that at a time when Congress is debating a mass amnesty for illegal immigrants, when Philadelphia has a "new Philadelphians" office to welcome immigrants, when a bryn Mawr student outs herself as an illegal immigrant, you have the nerve to question the right of immigrants to find work in the city. Jim Kenney, one of the champions of welcoming immigrants to the city, suddenly dances to another tune when it comes to giving immigrants' access to the construction trades. It's hypocrisy.
    Where did I write that???
    I'm 1000% for immigration reform. The fact is, the Post Brothers are exploiting illegal immigrants. I've witnessed it first hand. Why use citizens who are protected by law when you can hire people who are not here legally? I'll tell you why....So you can pay them in cash, avoid overtime, city wage, state, and federal taxes. Workers Compensation and Unemployment benefits. This is what the Post Brothers do. They are pimps.

Some days there were over a hundred people working in that building. There are only TWO legit companies on site. The rest are all paying people either cash in an envelope, OR are writing personal checks via a 1099 scam. Do you realize how much money in missing taxes that is each week?

Quote Originally Posted by George Foley View Post
    Where did I write that???
    I'm 1000% for immigration reform. The fact is, the Post Brothers are exploiting illegal immigrants. I've witnessed it first hand. Why use citizens who are protected by law when you can hire people who are not here legally? I'll tell you why....So you can pay them in cash, avoid overtime, city wage, state, and federal taxes. Workers Compensation and Unemployment benefits. This is what the Post Brothers do. They are pimps.

Some days there were over a hundred people working in that building. There are only TWO legit companies on site. The rest are all paying people either cash in an envelope, OR are writing personal checks via a 1099 scam. Do you realize how much money in missing taxes that is each week?
    Jim Kenney will love you. But, seriously, in a city which is 13% Hispanic and 5% Asian! where is the Asian/Hispanic representation in the carpenter's union.? Why doesn't everyone deserve a living wage, not just some fat f&cks from Gloucester county? Why won't the trades disclose the racial breakdown of their members?

Jim Kenney will love you. But, seriously, in a city which is 13% Hispanic and 5% Asian! where is the Asian/Hispanic representation in the carpenter's union.? Why doesn't everyone deserve a living wage, not just some fat f&cks from Gloucester county? Why won't the trades disclose the racial breakdown of their members?
    You're changing the subject.