Register
+ Reply to Thread
Page 34 of 50 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast
    Tartan69 is offline Pawn in game of life

Quote Originally Posted by GroJLart View Post
    Meh, 640 North Broad had similar pricing when it first opened.
    Was just about to post something similar, although rents for the studios were/are actually higher in the Lofts 640 building when I lived there 5 years ago. If Blumenfeld can get those rents, there's no reason that this property can't since it has much higher visibility.

Malloy is offline Administrator

No, this project is more expensive. Is parking included or additional?

640 has garage parking and cable included. Gym/pool too.

Also, current 640 rates give you way more space for less money.

That said, even though this is an odd looking bit, I'm glad its happening and it will do great things for the area.
    Like PS on Facebook!

Jayfar is offline Junior Old Fart

Bykofsky in the Daily News:

Philly's most bitter labor war? Signs

A frustrated Tracy says cops don't care. "The police apparently are defending this practice around this city and threatening arrest for anyone removing those signs," she says. It's no idle threat. Mike Pestronk says one of his security guards was charged for removing (cops said "stealing") an illegal sign. Here's the nub of the problem: L&I told me sign enforcement is the job of Streets, Streets told me it's L&I's job. This is where Mayor Nutter and/or Managing Director Rich Negrin should call a timeout and bring in staff to untangle the mess.
    Read more at Philly's most bitter labor war? Signs
    “Guys like you I would dispatch with my roofing axe.” -- BootsywannabeACretin

MNG1324 is offline Senior Member
    Harrisburg/Center City weekend Condo owner

I wonder if all the publicity here is actually making it easier to rent these apartments.

But the police defending the unions and not enforcing the law is disgusting it's not surprising given the blind eye they turned during the earlier protests.

Does anyone know if the Post Brothers are using union labor for the Atlantic building? I haven't seen any rats(inflatable or fat South Jersey) protesting the site.

John Goodman is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Malloy View Post
    No, this project is more expensive. Is parking included or additional?

640 has garage parking and cable included. Gym/pool too.

Also, current 640 rates give you way more space for less money.

That said, even though this is an odd looking bit, I'm glad its happening and it will do great things for the area.
    Parking is additional

fiveomar is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by MNG1324 View Post
    But the police defending the unions and not enforcing the law is disgusting it's not surprising given the blind eye they turned during the earlier protests.
    Not only is a blind eye turned, but they are threatening arrest for those trying to remove the illegal signs, thus the police are engaging/participating in this illegal activity.

mixiboi is offline Philly Remixed

"Signs are not allowed in the public right-of-way by federal law, state law, city law," says Mary Tracy, president of Scenic Philadelphia, a neighborhood-improvement nonprofit. "We support the right of free speech, to carry signs or put them on the car. What we say is you can't put your sign in the right-of-way - it's dangerous to drivers, it's dangerous to pedestrians, it's unsightly and unlawful."

She rattles off a list of other sites with visual litter - where there are often pickets, sometimes inflatable rats and almost always signs: City Avenue at the Expressway, Broad between City Hall and Vine, Harvey and Rittenhouse streets in Germantown.

Oh, SCRUB. I love how they say the most ridiculous things, while at the same time have all the information ready to hand over to the authorities.
    Graphic Designer, Social Media Consultant. Twitter: @Sdlaugh

Tartan69 is offline Pawn in game of life

Quote Originally Posted by John Goodman View Post
    Parking is additional
    When I lived there it was $150 per month extra.

ShoshTrvls is offline Senior Member

I believe that, contrary to what Ms. Tracy believes, putting flyers on cars is illegal. Even if done by a union.

The problem with getting these signs removed is fear and misunderstanding (willful, I'm sure) of the NLRA which does provide greater protections to unions to engage in non-commercial speech than it does to ordinary citizens. Provided, of course, that the activity falls within the protection of the NLRA. I'm not sure these signs do.

DCnPhilly is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by mixiboi View Post
    Oh, SCRUB. I love how they say the most ridiculous things, while at the same time have all the information ready to hand over to the authorities.
    Oh jeez, she drives me nuts. Obviously I agree that these signs are annoying, but when I read the article the first thing I thought was "Oh, SCRUB," too. Unlike their normal temper tantrums, they've actually got something here that most people agree with them on.

They could go to the sites as an organization, armed with the legal knowledge that the signs are illegal and a group large enough to counter balance the union intimidation. If every one of them in the organization is cited, they go to court, easily prove their case, and set a precedent. Then go to the media.

Instead, they throw a hissy fit without actually doing something, and go on a rant that the signs, which are akin to campaign signs that flood the earth during every election, with their standard "please think of the children!" diatribe. I'm not by any means supporting the presence of these signs, but "safety?" Come on, SCRUB.

All of a sudden the rational residents of Callowhill that already hated the daily union bull**** are second guessing whether they want to align themselves with crazier over simple crazy.

This is perfect:

If you don't follow Signe Wilkinson on Facebook, you should...

New York City has ANthony Weiner. Philly has our mens clubs arguing that lap dances are artistic expressions just like any legit theater and therefore shouldn't be taxed. Meanwhile, our city council is beholden to the excellent (seriously! I'm jealous!) local labor unions who generously offer campaign financing. This toon's a mashup.
    https://www.facebook.com/Signetoons?...ocation=stream

MNG1324 is offline Senior Member
    Harrisburg/Center City weekend Condo owner

Since you can't see the Councilperson's face I think it's Jim Kenney or maybe Anna Verna needs to shave her legs(I know Verna's no longer in office but there's no white women left on Council)

EJW
    EJW is offline Senior Member

Yesterday on WHYY:

The pros and cons of Philadelphia's building trade unions | Radio Times | WHYY

Pat Gillespie was interviewed... he is arguing that a wage of $100 per hour is not enough. I don't know what world he's living in.
    Last edited by EJW; 07-31-2013 at 10:31 AM.

funk is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by EJW View Post
    Yesterday on WHYY:

Pat Gillespie was interviewed... he is arguing that a wage of $100 per hour is not enough. I don't know what world he's living in.
    holy sh*t $100 an hour? where do i sign up?

cubanChris is offline Senior Member

Yesterday on WHYY:

He bullied the hell out of Marty and Tom Ferrick. Yeesh.

Hospitalitygirl is offline Moderator

Yesterday on WHYY:

Holy F**K! Is he out of his mind???
    I am not the Jackass Whisperer.

Quote Originally Posted by Hospitalitygirl View Post
    That $100/hour figure was including benefits, but still that's a lot of dough.

Yesterday on WHYY:

Quote Originally Posted by funk View Post
    holy sh*t $100 an hour? where do i sign up?
    Quote Originally Posted by cubanChris View Post
    He bullied the hell out of Marty and Tom Ferrick. Yeesh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hospitalitygirl View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayfar View Post
    That $100/hour figure was including benefits, but still that's a lot of dough.

I can understand where he's coming from..Majority of those guys doing this work will not enjoy that payrate...at least not for long anyway.

Health and Safety Hazards in the Construction Industry

rojnish is offline Senior Member

Default $100 per hour

Wow, I spent OVER 25 years in school and I can't demand that kind of pay. How do they justify that kind of an hourly wage? Are they replacing grease traps or aorta valves?

Quote Originally Posted by rojnish View Post
    Wow, I spent OVER 25 years in school and I can't demand that kind of pay.
    Then again if you had left school before age 30 (assuming you started your over 25 years in school at age 5) and went and got a j.o.b., maybe you would be making that kind of money by now. Just sayin'.