Register
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 50 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    fiveomar is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by jizay View Post
    And you are free to accept those terms of employment or else put your human capital to other uses. If you are willing to do the job for $5/hr, then that's what it's worth. That's called the free market. Ask the workers at this project if they're unhappy to have the work. They look eager to me.
    Couldn't have said it better myself.

MariusPontmercy is offline poor grad student

These turds are at the corner of Vine and 12th all day with one of their blow up toys. If you happen to drive by, let them know what you think.
    They have too much time on their hands.
    "imagination and memory are but one thing, which for diverse considerations hath diverse names" - Thomas Hobbes

unionspaghetti is offline Junior Member

Can this not turn into another thread about unions vs. not. Employers can offer any legal wage. Employees can accept it or not. Employees can unionize or not. We get how it works.

The issue here are the illegal tactics of this union that are apparently not being addressed by the police. I think all reasonable people think it's abhorrent to block roads and threaten workers because they're not unionized. I also think all reasonable people would realize it's not reasonable to kill the union protesters despite what their anonymous internet bluster indicates. Maybe we can all be productive and contact police / councilmen to make sure that they understand whether or not we support unions in general that we do not think these tactics are acceptable.

Titus is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by unionspaghetti View Post
    Can this not turn into another thread about unions vs. not. Employers can offer any legal wage. Employees can accept it or not. Employees can unionize or not. We get how it works.

The issue here are the illegal tactics of this union that are apparently not being addressed by the police. I think all reasonable people think it's abhorrent to block roads and threaten workers because they're not unionized. I also think all reasonable people would realize it's not reasonable to kill the union protesters despite what their anonymous internet bluster indicates. Maybe we can all be productive and contact police / councilmen to make sure that they understand whether or not we support unions in general that we do not think these tactics are acceptable.

CHIOSSO is online now Schuylkill Ranger

well said.
    Moyamensing became known for its penitentiary, violent hose company, cemeteries, wretchedly poor inhabitants, and crime. Harry C. Silcox

jizay is online now Senior Member

Gee union, thanks for the post! You know, before you joined the thread to play the "adult" no one had ever tried or thought of trying these things. But now that everyone will be taking your advice, the council and PPD will become aware that residents actually don't like a gang of 50 thugs hanging out at an intersection using violence and intimidation. Once they become aware of this problem that has been occurring for months and has been all over the news and in the courts, I'm sure they'll shift from their unofficial policy of doing nothing and actually make sure these several unions keep their distance and don't disrupt the job and the neighbors.

/THREAD

unionspaghetti is offline Junior Member

Gee union, thanks for the post! You know, before you joined the thread to play the "adult" no one had ever tried or thought of trying these things. But now that everyone will be taking your advice, the council and PPD will become aware that residents actually don't like a gang of 50 thugs hanging out at an intersection using violence and intimidation. Once they become aware of this problem that has been occurring for months and has been all over the news and in the courts, I'm sure they'll shift from their unofficial policy of doing nothing and actually make sure these several unions keep their distance and don't disrupt the job and the neighbors.

/THREAD
    I'm glad you see my postings as adult. And yes, if everyone who viewed this thread contacted their councilman and the Mayor and every time we saw an incident around the site we reported it this situation would change. It's not a matter of awareness, it's a matter of political pressure. All councilmen know about the situation they just think the constituents who care are those protesting. Let them know whether or not you value unions that you value law and order.

jizay is online now Senior Member

All councilmen know about the situation they just think the constituents who care are those protesting.
    The political support of unions is absolutely crucial to political survival in this city. It's what helps these guys keep the lockdown on power. Council is in their pocket 100%. They could give a crap about you or I, because we can't do for them what the unions can. That's the beginning and end of the analysis of why these guys are being allowed to break the law on a daily basis. By all means, please do contact your councilman. But don't expect that the city will suddenly take these guys on after letting them run wild for decades.

JakeL is offline Senior Member

Shall we protest a protest?

phillyfree is offline Junior Member

The best way to handle this is start taking back the leadership positions who do not encourage and support this type of thug activity. Start with the founder of the Carpenters Union Bob Brady and you can see that you problem (while many more people) is not unlike many others in the city - Congressman Bob Brady for Retirement - Carpenters Union

#1MetsFan is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by JakeL View Post
    Shall we protest a protest?
    Let's do it!

Ho Chi Minh is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by phillyfree View Post
    The best way to handle this is start taking back the leadership positions who do not encourage and support this type of thug activity. Start with the founder of the Carpenters Union Bob Brady and you can see that you problem (while many more people) is not unlike many others in the city - Congressman Bob Brady for Retirement - Carpenters Union

Lets face it, the union workers today are the uneducated, unskilled and most scammed group of workers in this country. The Carpenters Union in Philadelphia stands out as a shining example. While they work for a huge hourly, of which a big chunk goes to the leadership who are nothing more than the same type of people who forced unions to form in the first place. It is quite amusing. But, rest assure, if you pay attention to Wisconsin, 60% of union members have dropped out since they were told they legally can and what does that say for unions? It says they are thugs and criminals looking for something for free because they are too weak to compete for it. Start with the leadership who pushes this agenda:

Congressman Bob Brady for Retirement - Carpenters Union

phillyaggie is offline Senior Member

hell yes! Question is, is there going to be a viable alternative candidate? Most of Philly's Congressional districts, from a census map I'd seen a few months ago, are among the least developed socioeconomically. I don't know how these bozos can sleep at night or maintain their high paying jobs... then again, in a democrazy, the electorate gets what it deserves, isn't it?
    "The only difference between the Republican and Democratic parties is the velocities with which their knees hit the floor when corporations knock on their door. That's the only difference."
    - Ralph Nader

To all who are tired of the thugs and uneducated who want us to take care of them and their families, post to info@governphiladelphia.com any location where there is such thuggery. One way to start is to start showing the 75% of the rest of Philadelphia what low-lifes do and how they conduct themselves. Congressman Bob Brady for Retirement is the starting point because he is the de-factor leader of the Carpenters Union and they are the biggest offenders.

Here is another sampling of the stupidest people on the planet. The small business in Center City called the MilkBoy Coffee Shop opened up. They put out for bid for work to be done. Not a single person bid on the work from the Carpenters Union so MilkBoy went with one who did submit a proposal for the work.

So, what did the Carpenters Union do? They began heavily protesting that there should be no bidding and they should be awarded the work, just.... because. To date, they still protest. You really must have little self esteem to stand out with a sign protesting a small business who is just trying to survive and, IN FACT, offered an opportunity for you to bid and get the work but you were too stupid to submit a proposal. Imagine a conversation with on of their kids:

Son: What did you do at work today?
    Father: I stood outside making next to no money protesting a hard working small business owner because I could not submit a simple proposal
    Son: But Dad, why did you not just submit a proposal since you are a professional carpenter and they were looking for the best?
    Father: Well son, I am not the best, I just am a thug and you need to be a thug and expect everything to be handed to you.
    Son: Wow Dad, I did not know that is how the world works for everyone.
    Father: No son, it only works for a small percentage of us folks who lack the competitive drive, education and determination to be successful.

This one is in Ardmore and they did the same to the one in Center City. Pathetic.

Carpenters Union Still Protesting MilkBoy Coffee in Ardmore. | The Save Ardmore Coalition

Beer is good is offline Banned

All the money in the world couldn't get Brady out of office, better try another route.

Thats ok. He will likely be in again but I have to say when I read that people are coming to his home, cutting his phone lines and waiting for him to get home and then people are throwing bottles through his office window, I think that after ruining so many good businesses in this city, it is finally catching up with him.

I think most people are fed up with hearing their friends small business get hammered by a bunch of carpenter hacks led by a moron like Brady and I assure you that people are waking up to the reality of his results and negative impact on this city.

Marquis is offline Banned

Thats ok. He will likely be in again but I have to say when I read that people are coming to his home, cutting his phone lines and waiting for him to get home and then people are throwing bottles through his office window, I think that after ruining so many good businesses in this city, it is finally catching up with him.
    lol thuggery

Jelly Roll is offline Member

Lets face it, the union workers today are the uneducated, unskilled and most scammed group of workers in this country.