Register
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    SHirschler is offline Member

Default Bike Lanes on Fairmount Ave - what ever happened?

Does anybody know the status of the bike lane project that was slated for Fairmount Ave?

AbortedWalrus is offline Senior Member

I didn't know there ever was one. There was a big project slated for Spring Garden, but I don't recall anything for Fairmount. That may just be my memory though.

I'd rather they didn't do it on Fairmount. If they are going to do something with the extra width Fairmount Ave has I think they should do angled pull in parking on at least one side of the street to increase the available parking on the street, as it's a commercial corridor and could certainly use the extra parking to allow for more customers to come into the area.

Titus is offline Senior Member

There was some discussion here on bike lanes for Fairmount but I don't recall the thread. It appears we will soon have bike lanes on every street. Overkill AFAIC. Yesterday there was some real congestion when riding down Locust St in CC with a large number of bikes when they have dedicated lanes on Pine & Spruce that are often empty when I drive on those streets! Sorry to derail the thread.

I haven't heard yet about the final plan for SG bike lanes - was a decision made about whether they'd be in the center or on the sides?

BarryG is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    It appears we will soon have bike lanes on every street. Overkill AFAIC.
    More like hyperbole...

#1MetsFan is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by SHirschler View Post
    Does anybody know the status of the bike lane project that was slated for Fairmount Ave?
    They probably realized it was a stupid idea.

BarryG is offline Senior Member

Spring Garden is shown as "under study" on The Circuit map, Fairmount has nothing while other segments are marked "proposed." So if they ever was an idea, it's probably dead.

Connect the Circuit | Home

fiveomar is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by BarryG View Post
    Spring Garden is shown as "under study" on The Circuit map, Fairmount has nothing while other segments are marked "proposed." So if they ever was an idea, it's probably dead.

The Fairmount Ave bike lanes were supposed to be put in last June (2011), per the Bike Coalition. Not sure why it never happened, it's a wide enough street not to mention frequented by bicycles.

Titus is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by fiveomar View Post
    The Fairmount Ave bike lanes were supposed to be put in last June (2011), per the Bike Coalition. Not sure why it never happened, it's a wide enough street not to mention frequented by bicycles.
    Agreed it is wide enough but I don't know about frequented with bicycles. Maybe at the west end but even there I rarely see them using Fmt at this point in time.

Earl J is offline Member

It only makes sense. Plenty of bicycle traffic (and increasing) to justify.

fiveomar is offline Senior Member

I also like the idea of angled parking, similar to 2nd St. in Northern Liberties.

dcss1205 is offline Banned

Default Status- sort of

This project is still a spark at the Bicycle Coalition, who have met with community groups.

These meetings with locals have identified issues, which need a study and factual analysis, by consulting firms, not just personal observations and whims. i.e. needs not wants. This requires non-existent municipal funding.
    1. Extraordinary commercial frontage with delivery parking in the proposed lanes, vs Spring Garden St.
    2. Two School Crossing Corners and bus discharge at ESP and SEPTA & tourist route discharge along Fairmount; west of 22nd.
    3. Pending status of Spring Garden Street Improvement Project, which is an integral part of the East Coast Greenway Route, versus no real destination at either end of the Fairmount route; Broad & Pennysylvania.
    4. Overall perception by locals that bikers ignore the Motor Vehicle Code they are obligated to observeve. Sorry.
    Diagonal parking on Fairmount has been rejected by Traffic Engineering; lack of curb to curb dimension. TE seems to be working by the requirements, just look at all the no-parking zones at corners.

JakeL is online now Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by BarryG View Post

Spring Garden already has lanes, I think the Circuit Map is just for dedicated cycletracks/paths. The 'under study' section refers to the Spring Garden Greenway, which would be a wonderful asset if to the community if it happens.

Marquis is offline Banned

We need bike lanes on this and every street because I need to double park somewhere.

6enny is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by JakeL View Post
    Spring Garden already has lanes, I think the Circuit Map is just for dedicated cycletracks/paths. The 'under study' section refers to the Spring Garden Greenway, which would be a wonderful asset if to the community if it happens.
    Yeah, I think they're talking about putting a multipurpose trail down the center of the street ala the Schuylkill River Trail.

AbortedWalrus is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by dcss1205 View Post
    This project is still a spark at the Bicycle Coalition, who have met with community groups.

These meetings with locals have identified issues, which need a study and factual analysis, by consulting firms, not just personal observations and whims. i.e. needs not wants. This requires non-existent municipal funding.
    1. Extraordinary commercial frontage with delivery parking in the proposed lanes, vs Spring Garden St.
    2. Two School Crossing Corners and bus discharge at ESP and SEPTA & tourist route discharge along Fairmount; west of 22nd.
    3. Pending status of Spring Garden Street Improvement Project, which is an integral part of the East Coast Greenway Route, versus no real destination at either end of the Fairmount route; Broad & Pennysylvania.
    4. Overall perception by locals that bikers ignore the Motor Vehicle Code they are obligated to observeve. Sorry.
    Diagonal parking on Fairmount has been rejected by Traffic Engineering; lack of curb to curb dimension. TE seems to be working by the requirements, just look at all the no-parking zones at corners.
    Have they considered diagonal parking on only one side of the street, with parallel parking on the other? Because while their may be a lack of curb to curb space to do it for both sides, there shouldn't be for one side. The street is wide enough that you can get around double parked cars without leaving your lane for most of its length.

dcss1205 is offline Banned

Quote Originally Posted by AbortedWalrus View Post
    Have they considered diagonal parking on only one side of the street, with parallel parking on the other? Because while their may be a lack of curb to curb space to do it for both sides, there shouldn't be for one side. The street is wide enough that you can get around double parked cars without leaving your lane for most of its length.
    We have no idea what they reviewed, just that the concept was denied.

If you really need to know, feel free to contact traffic engineering directly, you can go through your Councilman.

Earl J is offline Member

Thanks dcss for the factual update.

qguy is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by JakeL View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 6enny View Post
    Yeah, I think they're talking about putting a multipurpose trail down the center of the street ala the Schuylkill River Trail.
    It would actually be part of the East Coast Greenway as well.

Moonraker is offline Rocket Scientist

Default Bike plan and Survey

The Bike Plan is a 75Mb file at http://phila2035.org/pdfs/bikePed2012.pdf

There is a Bike Survey for Fairmount which will generate an error if you enter data in an OTHER field:
    Fairmount Survey

eldondre is offline Moderator

seems like a solution in search of a problem. I usually use side streets like green or wallace, I've never had an issue with on street biking in the neighborhood. I'd love to see pedestrian lighting along the corridor but I guess that costs more
    Greater Philadelphia Bicycle News: Want a Bike Lane on Fairmount Ave? Attend These Civic Meetings
    "It has shown me that everything is illuminated in the light of the past"
    Jonathan Safran Foer