Register
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast
    Frejo is offline Member

Angry AVI is going to SCREW us!

Here is a link to Dubow's presentation to Council regarding the impact of AVI. Check out what's going to happen to your taxes. Also checkout who's paying more and who's paying less.

http://media.philly.com/documents/Co...esentation.pdf

We cannot let this happen with $472 MILLION in outstanding uncollected property taxes, not to mention the 1.5 BILLION in uncollected bail and fines. Half of Clark's and Balckwell's districts don't pay a freaking dime! Sign the petition below to force the Govenor, Mayor and Council to collect these unpiad taxes before raising the taxes on those of us that do pay.

Help spread the word.

Petition: The Governor of PA: Collect the $472 million Owed Philly in Overdue Property Taxes | Change.org

THANKS!!!!

ArcticSplash is offline Dixie Normus

Quote Originally Posted by Frejo View Post
    Here is a link to Dubow's presentation to Council regarding the impact of AVI. Check out what's going to happen to your taxes. Also checkout who's paying more and who's paying less.

http://media.philly.com/documents/Co...esentation.pdf

We cannot let this happen with $472 MILLION in outstanding uncollected property taxes, not to mention the 1.5 BILLION in uncollected bail and fines. Half of Clark's and Balckwell's districts don't pay a freaking dime! Sign the petition below to force the Govenor, Mayor and Council to collect these unpiad taxes before raising the taxes on those of us that do pay.

Help spread the word.

Petition: The Governor of PA: Collect the $472 million Owed Philly in Overdue Property Taxes | Change.org

THANKS!!!!
    Governor Corbett could care less about Philadelphia's budget hole. Or most of the Republican dominated PA House.

Since Lisa Parsley started this petition (and I respect her a lot) I'm signing the petition.

Frejo is offline Member

Thanks for the link to the article Artic! Lisa has been posting all over Philly.com and hasn't really gotten a great response (IMO). I am hoping that the folks on here can help spread her message!

Quote Originally Posted by Frejo View Post
    Thanks for the link to the article Artic! Lisa has been posting all over Philly.com and hasn't really gotten a great response (IMO). I am hoping that the folks on here can help spread her message!
    Lisa quit PhillySpeaks/Phillyblog a long time ago. I've spread her petition around for her.

6enny is offline Senior Member

Agree that unpaid property taxes and bail are bad.

Disagree that these property tax adjustments seem unfair at face value.

Quote Originally Posted by 6enny View Post
    Agree that unpaid property taxes and bail are bad.

Disagree that these property tax adjustments seem unfair at face value.
    The way AVI is working out, it's providing an opportunity for the Nutter administration to cement two "temporary" property tax increases and a further increase prior to the system being made "fair" for everyone. The final sessions of Council before summer recess are going to be very, very interesting. Darrell Clarke has his Gentrification Protection Plan he's trying to push through to protect lifetime property owners in gentrified neighborhoods from being slammed with AVI.

Squilla is trying to have AVI punted to next year.

Green is trying to stop AVI from becoming a tax increase for residents, but by shifting that burden to the U&O tax.

The SDP is screaming for the extra money projected to come from AVI even though it still leaves them with a $200MM+ budget hole, even with the additional money.

The BRT (yes, there still is a BRT), expects to be slammed with appeals given how AVI is shaping out.

The City Charter demands that the City's budget be solidified before Council's summer recess, but the reassessment notices don't go out until the fall of this year. So residents are being asked to accept what is basically a tax hike without knowing exactly what their taxes will actually be.

Oh on top of that, there's a bill floating around in Harrisburg that could really deal a blow to Michael Nutter and City Council:

Section 1.1. Notwithstanding any other law to the contrary,
    the governing body of a city of the first class with the
    authority to assess and levy taxes on real property situated in
    a city of the first class shall be prohibited from increasing
    the rate of taxation on any class of real property owners until
    the governing body has achieved a rate of collection of such tax
    at a rate of at least ninety-five percent.
    SB1505 is gonna be interesting.
    Last edited by ArcticSplash; 05-23-2012 at 01:38 PM.

OffenseTaken is offline Junior Dilettante

Quote Originally Posted by ArcticSplash View Post
    Oh on top of that, there's a bill floating around in Harrisburg that could really deal a blow to Michael Nutter and City Council:

Section 1.1. Notwithstanding any other law to the contrary,
    the governing body of a city of the first class with the
    authority to assess and levy taxes on real property situated in
    a city of the first class shall be prohibited from increasing
    the rate of taxation on any class of real property owners until
    the governing body has achieved a rate of collection of such tax
    at a rate of at least ninety-five percent.

EJW
    EJW is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by OffenseTaken View Post
    +1... I had no idea. Awesome

seand is offline Senior Member

How much staff would be required to get Philly up to 95% compliance in a year? If that goes through I see whole city departments closing with every clerk in the MSB (including from L&I) suddenly transfered to the Revenue Dep't. That would be fun, not.

I'm down with making the current administration feel strong political pain for not doing even more to collect. I'm not down with hobbling the entire city to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by seand View Post
    How much staff would be required to get Philly up to 95% compliance in a year? If that goes through I see whole city departments closing with every clerk in the MSB (including from L&I) suddenly transfered to the Revenue Dep't. That would be fun, not.

I'm down with making the current administration feel strong political pain for not doing even more to collect. I'm not down with hobbling the entire city to do it.
    Maybe they can start feeding RETU, Law Dept and Sheriff's Office employees 5-Hour-Energy.

What is our current real estate compliance rate, for the record?

What is our current real estate compliance rate, for the record?
    19% of all parcels on the property book are DQ, so that would be an 81% collection rate. I believe if you toss in the ~1,500 or so payment plans in existence, you're talking 82-83% and some change.

So 95% is conceivably doable? I wonder what Pittsburgh's rate is.

How many municipalities in PA would not pass the 95% mark if you were to snip the phrase "cities of the first class" from that bill - so it applied equally to everyone?

So 95% is conceivably doable? I wonder what Pittsburgh's rate is.

How many municipalities in PA would not pass the 95% mark if you were to snip the phrase "cities of the first class" from that bill - so it applied equally to everyone?
    Considering that a chunk of money was paid to eConsult just to compile the existing DQ statistics, that will be a question that would take data mining to answer. I suspect each county treasurer is likely to display an array of flippant answers. Perhaps the Commonwealth should ask those audit questions from the Finance Committee.

FWIW, the Financie Cmte did meet today in the 'burg, but SB1505 wasn't on the agenda.

I'm wondering where you're going with this, seand... I'm guessing you're wondering if the 95% goal is too high/unattainable?

I'm sorry but its hard for me to see this as anything but a deliberate attempt to take a dump on Philly, not a win for Philly tax payers. Our rates should be forced to be as good as state averages. We should not be held to an arbitrary higher standard "to teach Philly a lesson".

raider.adam is offline Senior Member

How would it be hobbling the government? It doesn't say they can't collect taxes. They just can't raise the rate.

For the record, I believe the legislation is being pushed by Philadelphia legislators.

Quote Originally Posted by raider.adam View Post
    How would it be hobbling the government? It doesn't say they can't collect taxes. They just can't raise the rate.
    If it sets an impossible to meet (or so expensive its self-defeating to actually reach) target, it risks hurting necessary functions of city government for a stupid political gesture. I honestly have no idea how realistic/not realistic 95% is.

OffenseTaken is offline Junior Dilettante

Quote Originally Posted by raider.adam View Post
    For the record, I believe the legislation is being pushed by Philadelphia legislators.
    Mike Stack (D.-district 5) is the sponsor.

Quote Originally Posted by ArcticSplash View Post
    19% of all parcels on the property book are DQ, so that would be an 81% collection rate. I believe if you toss in the ~1,500 or so payment plans in existence, you're talking 82-83% and some change.
    Would the payment plans be interpreted as still "not collected" under SB1505?

For example, the IRS is trying to crack down on its compliance rates. This article says if they were to get to 100% collection all of our rates could go down 10% with no loss of revenue, but it doesn't say what their compliance rate is.
    Irs Tries To Improve Its Rate Of Collection According To Experts, Where There's A Tax, There's A Way To Cheat. - Philly.com