Register
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    eldondre is online now Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    No - build, build build and forget about the damned mural - yes it's nice and well done, but shouldn't stand in the way of needed progress on this important site!
    I do think the area could use a public square/park though that would have been better thought of BEFORE the district sold that land (though the district still owns the other side). Hopefully, in the interim, he'll at least pick up the trash around the fence once in a while.
    "It has shown me that everything is illuminated in the light of the past"
    Jonathan Safran Foer

GroJLart is offline Senior Member

As far as that mural goes... the Varenhorst firm has been the one that has been designing all of Blumenfeld's stuff... on their website, they have a north broad masterplan with an overhead map of the area. In it, there is a building in front of the mural but there is a green space immediately below it... sort of looking like it'll be in that building's back yard. I don't know how accurate this stuff is and it might all just be conceptual, but here it is:

map: North Broad Street District Masterplan

broad and spring garden building: Broad and Spring Garden Streets Complex

and some thaddeus stevens stuff: Thaddeus Stevens Building
    Philaphilia!!!!Learn about Old-ass Buildings, Butt-fugly architecture, Empty Lots, Lost Buildings, Mystery Buildings, Butt-fugly Public Art, Lost Bridges, Dead-ass Proposals, and all the other great stuff that Philaphiles love!

esp1977 is offline Member

I saw what I believe to be a zoning notice on the old auto tags building at Broad and Melon (on Broad St, between the Ridge Ave shelter and the Divine Lorraine). I was driving by, so was unable to read it. Anyone know what's going on?

Titus is online now Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by GroJLart View Post
    As far as that mural goes... the Varenhorst firm has been the one that has been designing all of Blumenfeld's stuff... on their website, they have a north broad masterplan with an overhead map of the area. In it, there is a building in front of the mural but there is a green space immediately below it... sort of looking like it'll be in that building's back yard. I don't know how accurate this stuff is and it might all just be conceptual, but here it is:

map: North Broad Street District Masterplan

broad and spring garden building: Broad and Spring Garden Streets Complex

and some thaddeus stevens stuff: Thaddeus Stevens Building
    Very impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by esp1977 View Post
    I saw what I believe to be a zoning notice on the old auto tags building at Broad and Melon (on Broad St, between the Ridge Ave shelter and the Divine Lorraine). I was driving by, so was unable to read it. Anyone know what's going on?
    I saw it as well but it was gone by the time I got a chance to walk by.
    Jonathan Safran Foer

esp1977 is offline Member

Wha? A Restaurant Will Soon Open in the Shadow of the Divine Lorraine? | NakedPhilly

Cool - here's our answer. I wonder what it might be....

AbortedWalrus is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by esp1977 View Post
    Wha? A Restaurant Will Soon Open in the Shadow of the Divine Lorraine? | NakedPhilly

Cool - here's our answer. I wonder what it might be....
    Well, I'm sure it won't be a subway or a dunkin. There's a subway next to good year, and another opening next to Golden Chopstick in the petrucci's space. There's a dunkin at 15th and Spring Garden and like a block or two north of the DL on broad

and it begins, this is along a mostly vacant stretch behind the divine lorraine between broad st and northern liberties, on the northern edge of spring garden east. it's a shame the the city never bothed to do something like add a regional rail stop in the area to replace the old green st one that was killed, you might see very different development.
    We were heading west from Northern Liberties and spotted a newly dug pre-foundation at 1022-24 Fairmount Ave., next to a huge vacant lot...You can imagine our surprise when we took a look at public record and saw that this property is, in fact, being developed privately. Carmel Developments
    Surprising Foundation on Fairmount Avenue | NakedPhilly
    Jonathan Safran Foer

not technically in spring garden but with development at 10th and fairmount, the two neighborhoods are finally growing back together
    Update: Nine Homes Looking Likely at 6th & Fairmount | NakedPhilly
    Jonathan Safran Foer

Naveen is offline Senior Member

The NLNA is impressive. Once again they're pushing a project in the right direction. Thankfully they got rid of the garages (and resulting curb cuts). Hopefully they can do something to address the corner.

I think Blatstein and Tower have the right basic vision, but it seems the need help when it comes to the execution.

Quote Originally Posted by eldondre View Post
    last two times I've been by this building I've heard the sound of saws coming from the inside
    Jonathan Safran Foer

the process of reuniting old spring garden (eastof broad) and new spring garden is continuing with this project
    Humming A New Tune At 13th & Mount Vernon Substation | Hidden City Philadelphia
    Jonathan Safran Foer

AbortedWalrus is offline Senior Member

The project at 1244 Ridge Ave is underway. I was actually surprised at the progress. I think they had been quietly reframing the interior without touching the exterior, but now they are doing significant exterior work. The changes thus far are very noticeable. Glad to see this thing didn't die off.

this seems a bit dubious, people are concerned about the "density" of the project? hard to beleive in a neighborhood with much large buildings. seems like there's a bit more going on here (the old whites vs asian dynamic that seems to have been so poisonous in this particular neighborhood). would love to be wrong about that, anyway, a good sign that someone wants to build on a surface lot.
    PlanPhilly | Callowhill residents consider a 12-unit apartment complex on Ridge Ave.
    The project would require the property at 1111-1121 Ridge Ave., a 4,800-square-foot parcel, to be divided into four lots. Under the proposal, each of the four new buildings would have two 2-bedroom units and one 4-bedroom unit, for a total of 32 bedrooms on the property. The buildings would have separate 800-square foot units on the first and second stories, and combined third-and-fourth-story units of around 1,700 square feet each, according to the architect.
    it also seems safe to say that the failure of the BID didn't stop redevelopment
    Jonathan Safran Foer

Titus is online now Senior Member

32 bedrooms doesn't sound that dense to me.

John Goodman is offline Senior Member

Imo callowhill is supposed to be dense, its a part of center city

Its not chestnut hill

And the project isnt even that dense

No studios or one bedrooms... which would rent easier

These nimbys are losers

Jonathan Safran Foer

jizay is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by eldondre View Post
    I always think of fruit stripe gum when I see that building.

cwd22 is offline Senior Member

The owners of the Institute are looking to open a coffee shop/tattoo parlor somewhere around 11th and Spring Garden. I don't know the exact location, but it'll be nice to have a good place to get coffee in the neighborhood.