Register
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    ChiefSalsa is offline Utarded

Default The official 2013 Mummers Parade thread.

Well, it is that time of year. The very best of Philadelphia traditions, the Mummers Parade, will take place in just 35 days.

As I do every year, I am starting this thread to discuss the times, locations and best way to appreciate and watch the parade.

I would like to KINDLY ask that some basic rules of civility be adhered to.

* This is not a MUMMERS SUCK! thread. Please feel free to start your own thread where you bash the parade. I might post in it!

* This is a happy thread. If stories come up about the parade in the news, post it. Otherwise, I would ask that we stay on subject.

* While I welcome information regarding the Comics, Fancies and Fancy Brigades, the main concentration will be on enjoying the parade as a whole, and the string bands specifically. The string bands are the heart and soul of the parade. We are the show.

* If any newbies have questions about the parade, please post them in here, send me a PM or email me at chiefsalsa@yahoo.com. (put Mummers in the subject line so I know to get to it faster.)

This is the list for the Order of March for the String Bands. The numbers in parenthesis is last year's prize.

1. Greater Overbrook (15)
    2. Durning (13)
    3. Trilby (17)
    4. Broomall (16)
    5. South Philadelphia (3)
    6. Hegeman (6)
    7. Woodland (1)
    8. Aqua (8)
    9. Uptown (11)
    10. Polish American (10)
    11. Avalon (7) MY BAND!!!!
    12. Ferko (4)
    13. Greater Kensington (9)
    14. Quaker City (2)
    15. Duffy (14)
    16. Pennsport (12)
    17. Fralinger (5)

I will provide more info on the themes each band is doing as we get closer to New Year's.

The Mummers Parade is the most unique and best of Philly traditions. I hope all of you enojy it as much as I enjoy being in it.
    What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof. – Christopher Hitchens

What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof. – Christopher Hitchens

OldMama is offline Senior Member

I haven' been to the parade in years. My dad is from South Philly and we used to bundle up and go when we lived in Germantown. I don't think my dad went once he moved to the burbs. Although he did go to the Show of Shows every year with his boyhood friends. Sadly, he's the only one left and he's bed ridden himself. Anyway, I live 2.5 blocks from Broad at Christian and I think I need to take a walk there this year. I'm enticing friends and family with the lure of a clean toilet and hot coffee. We'll see what happens.

Every few days, I will link some older string band performances.

Today's vid is Fralinger's 1984 winning performance of The Jokers Are Wild. Widely considered one of the best performances ever.

Fralinger String Band 1984- Jokers Are Wild - YouTube

Widely considered the best ever performance,

Quaker City's Russians, from 1999:

Quaker City String Band 1999 Reflections Of Old Moscow - YouTube

Ray K. is offline Member

I'll be out around Broad and Fitzwater with my girls. Love the String Bands... I'm a PAs guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray K. View Post
    I'll be out around Broad and Fitzwater with my girls. Love the String Bands... I'm a PAs guy.
    Not a bad place to see us perform.

My band, Avalon, was a barely average band from Mayfair. They disbanded in 1981 and was re-organized in early 1982 as a Pennsport band.

This is our first performance after the reorganization:

Avalon String Band 1983 - All Aboard The Hobo Express - YouTube

The audio quality is a little bad, but overall gives an idea of where the parade was 30 years.

ScottBudman is offline Senior Member

All of Fralinger's props for 2013 were in that warehouse.

They will march, but they will not have any props. Not this late.
    Last edited by ChiefSalsa; 12-10-2012 at 04:29 PM. Reason: typo

Jayfar is offline Junior Old Fart

“Guys like you I would dispatch with my roofing axe.” -- BootsywannabeACretin

I am happy for my friends in Fralinger. Now I can be content in kicking their asses simply because we are better!

Jayfar is offline Junior Old Fart

Spoiler alert - the Newsworks slideshow includes several photos of pieces rescued from the warehouse.

Fearing the worst, Fralinger mummers nervously survey New Year's floats
    “Guys like you I would dispatch with my roofing axe.” -- BootsywannabeACretin

I should have the official drill location and times tomorrow morning. I will post them when I get them.

As a reminder to my friends in Fralinger, things can always be worse:

Fralinger String Band 1990 (12th Prize) - YouTube

I have to the times and drill locations.

I will post it Monday.

I have the times and drill sites for the string bands.

The bands will do a full drill at 3 locations: Shunk Street, Washington Avenue and Pine Street (UArts.)

We will do a music stop at 3 locations: Methodist Hospital (Wolf Street), Tasker Street and the Union League (Sansom Street).

The music stop at the Union League will be our full theme routine with front line dancers---but no props.

While there is no agreement to do so, there is a good chance the bands will do their full theme music at the Methodist--but it could only be a street song.

The bands will arrive off of Bigler Street at Marconi Plaza. The odd bands are supposed to come in from the west side, the even numbered bands from the east. I have always said this is the best place to take photos and hear the bands up close. We usually play a song or two waiting to enter the parade. And Mums love to have their pics taken.

The best way is to take the Broad Street subway to Oregon, see the bands, and then take the subway back into CC and try to grab a spot near a drill site.

The first post in this thread has the order of march. Below are the important times for the bands marching 1st, 7th, 11th and 17th. 1st (Greater Overbrook) and 17th (Fralinger) are the book end bands. 7th is Woodland, the defending champs. And 11th is my band, Avalon. Add or subtract 10 minutes to each band in the order of march to have an understanding of the ESTIMATED time each band is scheduled to arrive---there is usually delays here and there.

The last time is when we are scheduled to be at the judges stand, ready to perform on TV.

GREATER OVERBROOK

Arrive at Bigler: 920
    Drill at Shunk: 1030
    Music at Methodist Hospital: 1055
    Music at Tasker: 1125
    Drill at Washington: 1150
    Drill at UArts: 1230
    Music at Union League: 1250
    City Hall: 130

WOODLAND

Arrive at Bigler: 1020
    Drill at Shunk: 1130
    Music at Methodist Hospital: 1155
    Music at Tasker: 1225
    Drill at Washington: 1250
    Drill at UArts: 130
    Music at Union League: 150
    City Hall: 230

AVALON

Arrive at Bigler: 1200
    Drill at Shunk: 1210
    Music at Methodist Hospital: 1225
    Music at Tasker: 105
    Drill at Washington: 130
    Drill at UArts: 210
    Music at Union League: 230
    City Hall: 310

FRALINGER

Arrive at Bigler: 100
    Drill at Shunk: 110
    Music at Methodist Hospital: 135
    Music at Tasker: 205
    Drill at Washington: 230
    Drill at UArts: 310
    Music at Union League: 330
    City Hall: 410

More posts about logistics and advice later this week.

maybe not the easiest question for masterchiefsalsa since he marches but where and when is a good viewing spot.

specifically:

we went two years ago and were at washington but it was very crowded. any idea what time we would need to get there in order to ensure a good location to view from? granted its NYE the night before so getting up early is not as simple as I might hope.

or should we just forget seeing the drilling and just stick with a music location? (would that mean we could walk up later and still get good views?) ideally washington to snyder is where we would like to stick within.

also, looking for any info for timing etc for two street. last year we just happened to be down there around 7 (i think) and it was really a mess with 13 year olds having the time of their life. i am guessing that's the norm. Is there any time or location there where it is less of a mess (or equal amounts of mess but where something is actually happening).

Washington is the best place for a drill site if you do not show up super-early. Go north of Washington and if the cops are not in a pissy mood you can move the barricades enought to get a head on view.

Tasker should be a prime target for a music review. hardly packed, but if word gets out that all the bands are there, it could be fuller.

Two Street is a party. Most bands police themselves. The problems usually come from suburban slobs who think they can come down there and piss on the city. If you do not like rowdy parties, Two Street can be very off putting.
    Last edited by ChiefSalsa; 12-19-2012 at 01:02 AM.

Funny story.

In 1987 I was in the Comics. It was traditonal for Comics to walk south on Broad after going to City Hall. At Tasker Street, I stopped and saw Fralinger do their routine. I thought the suits looked terrible. I turned to my friend and said, "I'd bet a testicle they don't win." They won. I still have two balls.

The 1987 champs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkwtWNTJusc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZVaQQ70kVM

Trilby, 1998. Their last good performance before 15 years of not so good.

IMPORTANT

The city has completely changed the South Philly drill sites.

The Shunk drill has been moved to Ritner Street.

From what I understand, the music stop at Wolf, which is just one block north of Ritner, is no longer mandatory.

I hope to post the full, verified info before Christmas.