Register
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    bridge is offline Member

Default Pearl Properties New High Rise at 19th & Chestnut

CCRA posted this on their Facebook yesterday:

Pearl Properties has created preliminary plans to erect a high rise residential apartment tower on the southwest corner of 19th and Chestnut with the residential entrance on 19th. The project is just east of the Boyd Theater site and across the street from the CVS pharmacy. The plans call for the preservation of the property situated on the southwest corner of 19th and Chestnut, recently occupied by the Qdoba restaurant. Sketches show retail on two floors accessible from the ground floor with the entry on Chestnut. The site is zoned CMX4 (center city commercial mixed use), which prescribes a floor area ratio (FAR) of between 500% and 700% depending upon whether the property qualifies for Section 14-702 bonuses for amenities such as public art, public space, underground parking or green elements. A 7 story building with a footprint occupying 100% of the buildable space on a lot has an FAR of 700%, while a 14 story building with a footprint occupying 50% of the buildable space would have an FAR of 700%. CCRA has created a major development taskforce which has met twice with Pearl Properties and is making arrangements for Pearl's representatives to present their plans at a public meeting to be held on April 29 at 7:00 PM, at a location still to be determined. Stay tuned.

cafeguy is offline Senior Member

WOOOO! But... how tall? You have pictures?

I couldn't find the mention on the FB page (Nevermind I was looking in the wrong spot), but I did predict this would happen back in December when they bought half the block. Although I had heard it would be a 20 story building. PhillyChitChat.com Thanks. So excited. I know they want to put a restaurant on the corner lot.
    Last edited by PhillyChitChat; 03-31-2014 at 02:30 PM.

londoner is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by PhillyChitChat View Post
    I couldn't find the mention on the FB page (Nevermind I was looking in the wrong spot), but I did predict this would happen back in December when they bought half the block. Although I had heard it would be a 20 story building. PhillyChitChat.com Thanks. So excited. I know they want to put a restaurant on the corner lot.
    For what it's worth, Summersm over at SSP is reporting 25 stories.

Swinefeld is offline That was filthy!

Quote Originally Posted by londoner View Post
    For what it's worth, Summersm over at SSP is reporting 25 stories.
    Disappointing.
    Philly people, learn your history.

DCnPhilly is offline Senior Member

19th and Chestnut...sweet!

BenDee is offline Senior Member

Great find, that building looks awesome (and it's not a glass cube!)

Is the Qdoba lot historically protected? The rendering makes it out to be rehabbed and not demoed.

John Goodman is offline Senior Member

Building looks cool to me, props to pearlstein

rental or condo?

Titus is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by BenDee View Post

Is the Qdoba lot historically protected? The rendering makes it out to be rehabbed and not demoed.
    I know the Historic Commission wants to save that building. It looks like it blends really well.

Quote Originally Posted by BenDee View Post

I'm not sure if the small building is protected, but I love that they incorporated the Deco cues from it into such a large building. Like you said, it's not another glass cube!

carloss is offline Senior Member

Qdoba lot is protected, the lots next door aren't.

Looks like they're proposing to add metal panels over the Qdoba facade. I'm not sure how well that will go over with the purists, but it seems to create a nice unifying effect with the high-rise above it.

Really interested in how near neighbors will react to this. There was a big hysteria made during the Boyd hearings over dead rats and how any proposal to re-enliven the block was better than no proposal, but I think it's fair to say that they were just as happy to support any proposal that didn't block their sunlight. Is anyone going to start taking pictures of dead animals on the empty lot next door to garner support for this project?

fiveomar is offline Senior Member

Rendering looks great. The dark wall on the first floor looks a bit odd, but hopefully that would look better in person or face a less-trafficked street.

Quote Originally Posted by fiveomar View Post
    Rendering looks great. The dark wall on the first floor looks a bit odd, but hopefully that would look better in person or face a less-trafficked street.
    It looks pretty preliminary. Still pretty exciting. And developers are finally getting ambitious again, even more exciting. It looks a lot to me like the Mormon apartment building proposed for Vine Street.

londoner is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by carloss View Post
    Qdoba lot is protected, the lots next door aren't.

Looks like they're proposing to add metal panels over the Qdoba facade. I'm not sure how well that will go over with the purists, but it seems to create a nice unifying effect with the high-rise above it.
    Are you sure those are "metal panels" and not cafe awnings?

My only question is why there isn't a single door/storefront entrance on the chestnut street side of this building. Perhaps the Qdoba corner door leads to a large retail space along that stretch?

carloss is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by londoner View Post
    Are you sure those are "metal panels" and not cafe awnings?
    I'm referring to the exterior wall itself, not the awnings.

phillyaggie is offline Senior Member

If that indeed use that green-blue color on the facade, that will be great. I like the design rendering as well. Let's see how it changes and what the final product looks like.

Good infill, especially for Rittenhouse area. That area can house a few more high rises, easily.
    "The only difference between the Republican and Democratic parties is the velocities with which their knees hit the floor when corporations knock on their door. That's the only difference."
    - Ralph Nader

MarketStEl is offline Will Work for Food, But Prefers Cash
    East Germantown rocks! But watch your back.

I see no evidence of metal panels on the 19th Street building. What's in the rendering looks pretty much like what's there now, minus the glass railing atop it and the arched two-story entrance window at the south end.
    Sandy Smith, Wanderer in Germantown, Philadelphia
    Editor-in-Chief, Philly Living Blog - but all opinions expressed here are mine and mine alone.
    ""Jazz and blogging are both intimate, improvisational, and individual -- but also inherently collective. And the audience talks over both." --Andrew Sullivan, "Why I Blog," The Atlantic, November 2008

Tartan69 is offline Pawn in game of life

This looks nice. Good thing there isn't a tomato garden next door.

eldondre is offline Moderator

why cant we give up this charade with parking. people are perfectly capable of securing parking spaces in their own without developers negotiating leases
    Neighbors offer praise, objections for 1900 Chestnut at CCRA meeting Philly Living Blog | Philadelphia Real Estate News & Articles
    "It has shown me that everything is illuminated in the light of the past"
    Jonathan Safran Foer

Quote Originally Posted by eldondre View Post
    why cant we give up this charade with parking. people are perfectly capable of securing parking spaces in their own without developers negotiating leases
    Neighbors offer praise, objections for 1900 Chestnut at CCRA meeting Philly Living Blog | Philadelphia Real Estate News & Articles
    It doesn't sound like anyone's pushing them to put parking in the building. That's a baby step in the right direction. I still think it's ass that anyone is expressing concern over street parking on 19th Street. Aren't those spots metered anyway? As if people who can afford this place are going to be parking on the street, running downstairs every two hours to feed the meter. If someone wants a guaranteed spot, pay for one, plain and simple. It's one thing (annoying as it is) to hear people in Graduate Hospital complaining about street parking, but this is Center ****ing City.