Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Polizei is offline Senior Member

Default Emily Yates arrested after Smoke Down Prohibition VIII

seriously was that necessary ??

Jayfar is offline Junior Old Fart

Quote Originally Posted by Polizei View Post
    Probably.
    “Guys like you I would dispatch with my roofing axe.” -- BootsywannabeACretin

Hospitalitygirl is offline Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Polizei View Post

Yes.
    I am not the Jackass Whisperer.

Gladys is offline Senior Member

what did she do? i have no idea who she is, am i supposed to recognize the name?
    "If you're going to tell people the truth, you better make them laugh; otherwise they'll kill you."
    - attributed to both George Bernard Shaw & Oscar Wilde

"I never clean up after my dogs, because I have trained them to run with me off leash while I ride my bike the wrong way on the sidewalk."
    - LUCas
    Originally Posted by Dave L

How to start an argument online. (Or off line.)
    1. Express an opinion.
    2. Wait.

Malloy is offline Administrator

Had to google who she is
    http://emilyyatesdoeseverything.com

The first statement on her homepage:
    “But why do you want to eventually achieve world domination?” I can hear some of you innocently wondering. It’s mainly because I want to make the rules. For instance, in my world, marijuana would be legal, and police brutality would be illegal.
    :-\

Was this a combo weed/war event? I know the weed rallies are monthly ( lol)
    Last edited by Malloy; 09-01-2013 at 09:47 AM.
    Like PS on Facebook!

Jayallday is offline Large Member

Lets see if Syria wants to play Rock Paper Scissors. This idiot makes me sick

Well at least she isn't as lily livered as your typical anti-war activist, if her bio is to be believed. Army vet with 2 combat tours in Iraq. Still I'm sure she was being arrested for a reason. You generally have to try pretty hard to get arrested by the park rangers.

Emily Yates Does Everything* – Bio + Contact

Activism
    Emily served in the Army from 2002 to 2008, which included two combat tours to Baghdad, Iraq – the first from January 2005 to January 2006, the second from March 2007 to May 2008. Three weeks after her second deployment ended, she received her honorable discharge from the military. About a year later, she came across the organization Iraq Veterans Against the War (Iraq Veterans Against the War | You are not alone) and thought, “Hey! I am one of those.” So she joined, and continue to be as active within the Bay Area chapter as she is able. She is a supporter of IVAW’s Operation Recovery – the campaign to stop the deployment of traumatized troops, to which you can donate here. She is also an advocate of bringing back the draft in order to reconnect Americans with the consequences of war and U.S. foreign policy and intervention. She received her B.A. in Near Eastern Studies at U.C. Berkeley in May 2013, and has been using her studies to better understand and process her own experience as a participant in the Iraq War. In 2012, she created a short documentary called “Islamophobia in the Military,” which was screened on September 11, 2012 at UC Berkeley. Her aim is to continue to create avenues for public discourse surrounding this and other issues relating to an increasingly militarized American society.

Gladys is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jayfar View Post
    Well at least she isn't as lily livered as your typical anti-war activist, if her bio is to be believed. Army vet with 2 combat tours in Iraq. Still I'm sure she was being arrested for a reason. You generally have to try pretty hard to get arrested by the park rangers.

\

Thank you for sharing this.
    "If you're going to tell people the truth, you better make them laugh; otherwise they'll kill you."
    - attributed to both George Bernard Shaw & Oscar Wilde

"I never clean up after my dogs, because I have trained them to run with me off leash while I ride my bike the wrong way on the sidewalk."
    - LUCas
    Originally Posted by Dave L

How to start an argument online. (Or off line.)
    1. Express an opinion.
    2. Wait.

Malloy is offline Administrator

Army journalist.

Like PS on Facebook!

Cro Burnham is offline Senior Member

since when are antiwar activists lily-livered?

armchair war boosters - usually pot-bellied SUV-driving gas guzzlers who couldn't fight their way out of potato chip bag - are far more lily-livered.

all of you war boosters out there, show us how tough u r and sign up for some fightin'.

Quote Originally Posted by Cro Burnham View Post
    That was a semi- tongue in cheek statement on my part. Not a big fan of war myself.

nanyika is offline Senior Member

I participated in the antiwar march and rally on Saturday. This was a political demonstration of about 100 people, completely peaceful and legal, called to protest the impending U.S. missile strike in Syria. I heard Emily sing there -- and quite beautifully and pointedly, I thought. However, the marijuana "smoke-in" (which I did NOT attend) was a separate event, held later in the afternoon.

loveisnoise is offline Senior Member

**** her. Pathetic little activists like this do nothing for their cause. They are nothing more than very bad actors with a penchant for the sensational and bombastic.

That was a semi- tongue in cheek statement on my part. Not a big fan of war myself.
    i know. but i sensed others were jumping on the mocking-anti-war bandwagon.

RashadZak is offline Member

Yates was arrested before the Smokedown event, and there's plenty of times federal police have disappeared people for no good reason in the event of protests. It's too easy to stick on a "disorderly conduct", "resisting arrest", "conspiracy", blah blah blah. It's the oh so benevolent do-no-wrong officer's word over some evil anti-American hippie's. As for loveisnoise, at least street activists are doing something for their cause besides wasting their sad lives away taking potshots on forums and newspaper comments.

Quote Originally Posted by RashadZak View Post
    Yates was arrested before the Smokedown event, and there's plenty of times federal police have disappeared people for no good reason in the event of protests. It's too easy to stick on a "disorderly conduct", "resisting arrest", "conspiracy", blah blah blah. It's the oh so benevolent do-no-wrong officer's word over some evil anti-American hippie's. As for loveisnoise, at least street activists are doing something for their cause besides wasting their sad lives away taking potshots on forums and newspaper comments.
    Oh, you mean like you just did little pussy?

Sailaway is offline Giggity Giggity Goo!

Quote Originally Posted by Cro Burnham View Post

armchair war boosters - usually pot-bellied SUV-driving gas guzzlers who couldn't fight their way out of potato chip bag - are far more lily-livered.

all of you war boosters out there, show us how tough u r and sign up for some fightin'.
    I'm anything but a war booster, but most are anti-war activists are wimps. That's just a fact.

Nobody is saying all are. You'll find aberrations in any sizable group.

One of the biggest, most hardened men I know of is generally an Israeli peacenik. Probably the last dude you want t f*** with, unless you want to compare underwater photography.
    If you believe people should work till they die to pay for a government worker to retire at 50, you're a Democrat. Otherwise, you're a Republican. All other differences between the parties are trivial.

She was arrested for being an a-hole and not leaving an area that was closed to the public, and plainly states on signs and their website when the area closes. They tell her why she has to leave and she still acts like an a-hole and asks typical idiot questions and plays games.
    LiveLeak.com - Peaceful Protester Emily Yates Suffers Police Brutality by US Park Service

17 seconds into the video they tell her the area is closing(as it states on their website and signs) and she refused to listen and kept playing games with them. She was not protesting, she was being an a-hole who turned into a trespasser.

Quote Originally Posted by Sailaway View Post
    I'm anything but a war booster, but most are anti-war activists are wimps. That's just a fact.
    Could be. Most people are wimps. I don't think you should single out anti-war activists.

At least anti-war advocates aren't hypocritical about it. Often they are willing to go to jail for their convictions. What kind of conviction does it take to lounge in front of Fox News or CNN with a beer and root on the troops 6000 miles away?

I can't tell you how many "hawks" I've come across who are full of bravado about other young men and women going off and risking their lives in war. The easiest ones to spot are the dopes driving around in Hummers with their BS yellow ribbon stickers. "Support the troops" my hairy a$$hole: if you support the troops, quit wasting gas in your ridiculous insecurity-compensating vehicle.

People like Limbaugh and that pasty fat guy with the buzz cut who used to be on Fox come to mind as well - obese rabble-rousers whose asses even I could beat. You think, behind their tough words, those idiots are any less wimpy than an activist willing to go to jail for his convictions?

I know nothing about this Emily Yates, and based on what was posted earlier, she sounds like an ass. But I'd take someone like her to watch my back in the trenches over your typical fat-a$$ stay-at-home hawk any day.