Register
+ Reply to Thread
Page 26 of 37 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast
    loveisnoise is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nan Duskin View Post
    Methinks the only excavation project in Benschop's future is the excavation of his arse now.
    Yeaaaaaaaaah.... and so many people forget tragedies. Even people on here were debating 'we haven't had a tragedy like this in philly, have we?!' Uhhhhhhh, I lived across the street to it when the moshulu was in a different spot. People lost lives over a f'n party and a dock that was literally cracking while a bank partied. Inspectors got busted for turning in floating kegs for money while the dead were still in the delaware. Helicopters and lights non-stop for days. People went to jail-for how long? Next to nothing and they're still doing business in this city so don't fool yourself for a minute.

zeolite is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by loveisnoise View Post
    Yeaaaaaaaaah.... and so many people forget tragedies. Even people on here were debating 'we haven't had a tragedy like this in philly, have we?!' Uhhhhhhh, I lived across the street to it when the moshulu was in a different spot. People lost lives over a f'n party and a dock that was literally cracking while a bank partied. Inspectors got busted for turning in floating kegs for money while the dead were still in the delaware. Helicopters and lights non-stop for days. People went to jail-for how long? Next to nothing and they're still doing business in this city so don't fool yourself for a minute.
    It seems like with the slow wheels of justice it'll be years before this one gets adjudicated as well, most likely with other events or crisis deflecting attention from who was at fault. In the meantime nobody knows who's responsible for what whereas before it was assumed that as long as your contractor had a license/ liability insurance and a permit you were good. That being said it is a good thing for owners to assert better control of projects which many do.

It's in the city's and lni's best interest for this to drag on for years.

Quote Originally Posted by zeolite View Post
    It's in the city's and lni's best interest for this to drag on for years.
    This we can agree on. It's in everyone's best interest, except for those who lost their lives.

City will cover. Others will file bankruptcy and say ' you can't bleed a turnip'. Others will start under a new trade name with the same portfolio and none will know any better.

Jayfar is offline Junior Old Fart

Quote Originally Posted by johnnie View Post
    The fact that there is video of them using the excavator to demo the front facade doesnt help.
    Yes, but the lawyer's contention is that the excavator was only to be used to remove debris on the day of the collapse. The video is from the previous Sunday. It will be interesting to hear more of what witnesses saw on the day of the collapse and it's possible someone will have video from that day as well. I seem to recall that in some of the early articles they quoted at least one person who saw the machine being used to do actual demolition immediately prior to the collapse.

Lawyer: Contractor 'didn't see' machine demolishing building | Philadelphia Inquirer

The heavy equipment blamed for causing a building collapse that killed six people last Wednesday was only to be used that day for removing debris, and the contractor in charge of the site "didn't see" the excavator doing demolition, his defense attorney said Tuesday.
    “Guys like you I would dispatch with my roofing axe.” -- BootsywannabeACretin

jillys is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jayfar View Post
    Yes, but the lawyer's contention is that the excavator was only to be used to remove debris on the day of the collapse. The video is from the previous Sunday. It will be interesting to hear more of what witnesses saw on the day of the collapse and it's possible someone will have video from that day as well. I seem to recall that in some of the early articles they quoted at least one person who saw the machine being used to do actual demolition immediately prior to the collapse.

Lawyer: Contractor 'didn't see' machine demolishing building | Philadelphia Inquirer
    I'm not an attorney, but this is ridiculous. I didn't "see" him using the excavator improperly, so I'm not responsible? Besides the fact that he has to be lying, this is a completely invalid argument.

Quote Originally Posted by jillys View Post
    I'm not an attorney, but this is ridiculous. I didn't "see" him using the excavator improperly, so I'm not responsible? Besides the fact that he has to be lying, this is a completely invalid argument.
    Exactly. Campbell as the contractor is responsible for knowing what was going on at the site. If he wasn't adequately supervising the job then he's guilty of negligent homicide or whatever the equivalent is in PA law, plus various other charges such as risking and causing a catastrophe.

ArcticSplash is offline Dixie Normus

I saw the plane flying around when I went outside.

NDN | Philly

Quote Originally Posted by ArcticSplash View Post
    I saw the plane flying around when I went outside.

NDN | Philly
    A few hours ago, when I was up on Market St, I saw a small plane flying low that looked like it was pulling a banner, but at the angle I was at I couldn't see the face of the banner.

Here's a different link where you can see a pic of the banner without waiting through a video ad for PNC Bank*.

Banner Calling For Nutter To Resign In Wake Of Building Collapse Flies Over US Open, Center City « CBS Philly

*The PNC Bank 'cupcake' ads that have been preceding news outlets' online videos lately are freaking annoying (and they usually repeat if you stay on the page after viewing the news video). Am I the only one who wants to kick the announcer's teeth in just because it seems like the right thing to do?

seand is online now Senior Member

Am I the only one who thinks this event (as tragic as it is) is not even remotely the worst thing to complain about L&I's performance over, much less the mayor's?

A scumbag real estate speculator hired a shoddy demoltion contractor who hired a crew that was high on drugs. It really has very, very, very little to do with Nutter.

ShoshTrvls is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by seand View Post
    Am I the only one who thinks this event (as tragic as it is) is not even remotely the worst thing to complain about L&I's performance over, much less the mayor's?

A scumbag real estate speculator hired a shoddy demoltion contractor who hired a crew that was high on drugs. It really has very, very, very little to do with Nutter.
    You are not the only one. It isn't like he bombed his own city.

Quote Originally Posted by ShoshTrvls View Post
    You are not the only one. It isn't like he bombed his own city.
    What a great platform...

"Nutter-He sucks slightly less than Goode".

Quote Originally Posted by seand View Post

And the city hired the same crew for multiple jobs. Who runs the city? Ohhhhh yeah, Nutter.

ArcticSplash is offline Dixie Normus

Gladys is online now Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jayfar View Post
    A few hours ago, when I was up on Market St, I saw a small plane flying low that looked like it was pulling a banner, but at the angle I was at I couldn't see the face of the banner.

Here's a different link where you can see a pic of the banner without waiting through a video ad for PNC Bank*.

Banner Calling For Nutter To Resign In Wake Of Building Collapse Flies Over US Open, Center City « CBS Philly

*The PNC Bank 'cupcake' ads that have been preceding news outlets' online videos lately are freaking annoying (and they usually repeat if you stay on the page after viewing the news video). Am I the only one who wants to kick the announcer's teeth in just because it seems like the right thing to do?
    Whoa!

If he resigned though who would be in line - Clarke? God forbid!
    "If you're going to tell people the truth, you better make them laugh; otherwise they'll kill you."
    - attributed to both George Bernard Shaw & Oscar Wilde

"I never clean up after my dogs, because I have trained them to run with me off leash while I ride my bike the wrong way on the sidewalk."
    - LUCas
    Originally Posted by Dave L We need to focus on banning both singers who crap on the sidewalk and dogs that annoy people with their singing. - Mondo

Marty Moss-Coane (WHYY - Radio Times) discussed the building collapse on her show yesterday:

Hour 1 The store was adjacent to a four-story property at 22nd and Market that was undergoing demolition. All of the victims were either shopping at the Salvation Army or working there at the time of the collapse. The disaster has raised serious questions about the safety of the work-site, the responsibility of building owners and developers to protect the public and hire responsible contractors, and the level of oversight by the City of construction and demolition sites. Joining us to talk about what we know about and what we can learn from the tragedy is construction engineer and Drexel faculty member ROBERT BREHM, WHYY reporter HOLLY OTTERBEIN, and Philadelphia Inquirer critic INGA SAFFRON. - See more at: What we know and what we can learn from last week's tragic building collapse | Radio Times | WHYY

Well here's a twist- medusa should be by soon
    UPDATED: Inspector of Collapsed Building Commits Suicide: Sources

NBC 10 Philadelphia : UPDATED: Inspector of Collapsed Building Commits Suicide: Sources

Good God this thing just gets worse and worse.
    "If you're going to tell people the truth, you better make them laugh; otherwise they'll kill you."

"I never clean up after my dogs, because I have trained them to run with me off leash while I ride my bike the wrong way on the sidewalk."
    - LUCas
    Originally Posted by Dave L We need to focus on banning both singers who crap on the sidewalk and dogs that annoy people with their singing. - Mondo

I hate this term, and probably have never used it...but **** just got real.

Unfortunately this ****'s been real.

- LUCas