Register
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    AsYouWere is offline Banned

Luxuria sounds like a French line of Charmin toilet paper. This facade is beyond ugly and rates four blechhhhs.

BenDee is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by AsYouWere View Post
    Luxuria sounds like a French line of Charmin toilet paper. This facade is beyond ugly and rates four blechhhhs.
    I wouldn't call it amazing, but it's pretty good for the 1200 block of Chestnut. It is a notch above Union (although nothing really changed beyond that wooden facade behind the sign) and way above the House of Beauty next door.

Quote Originally Posted by BenDee View Post
    I wouldn't call it amazing, but it's pretty good for the 1200 block of Chestnut. It is a notch above Union (although nothing really changed beyond that wooden facade behind the sign) and way above the House of Beauty next door.
    Appreciate your reasonable response but my approach to facades is to stay true to the original. This example, also known as remuddling, only goes up half way, while the floors above were also remuddled. This stuccoing and capping of original historic fabric, rather than restoration, is simply an illminded effort at improvement. On the upside when these added layers are later removed it's found that they offered protection.

BenDee is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by AsYouWere View Post
    Appreciate your reasonable response but my approach to facades is to stay true to the original. This example, also known as remuddling, only goes up half way, while the floors above were also remuddled. This stuccoing and capping of original historic fabric, rather than restoration, is simply an illminded effort at improvement. On the upside when these added layers are later removed it's found that they offered protection.
    I don't think they changed much based on what I remember of the building and Google Street View confirms it. The wood is the only noticeable addition I see (and removing the old sign/awning is the only noticeable subtraction) done to the exterior since the prior owners. It may have changed at some point in the past, but it wasn't while putting this store in there.

Quote Originally Posted by BenDee View Post
    I don't think they changed much based on what I remember of the building and Google Street View confirms it. The wood is the only noticeable addition I see (and removing the old sign/awning is the only noticeable subtraction) done to the exterior since the prior owners. It may have changed at some point in the past, but it wasn't while putting this store in there.
    I'm a National Trust for Historic Preservation hand so you won't be swaying me. Either the facade is original or it's not. Take the windows on this late 19th cent building for example, they should be split 2 over 2 which can be had in the latest insulated form. Changeing those is akin to changing the original window design for houses on Elfreths Alley.

CountFunkula is offline Senior Member

Hi folks - Give us a chance. We are putting the store together right now and we will be open very soon. The paper is off the windows and we are pretty excited about the new store.

As someone who has posted on here and phillyblog for many years, I hope that I can count on my friends here for support. I have written for many years about my dismay over the state of Market East (my neighborhood) and this part of Chestnut Street. Out of nowhere an opportunity sprung up for me to actually try to make a difference. Put my money where my mouth is. We have been working very hard on this project and I think that you will really love the scale, the offerings, and this massive change for this part of town. So, give me a chance. And please come in next week and say hi. There are two entrances - one on Sansom and one on Chestnut Street.

By the way, "Blue" is not part of our concept. Lady or City!!!

Hospitalitygirl is offline Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by CountFunkula View Post
    Hi folks - Give us a chance. We are putting the store together right now and we will be open very soon. The paper is off the windows and we are pretty excited about the new store.

As someone who has posted on here and phillyblog for many years, I hope that I can count on my friends here for support. I have written for many years about my dismay over the state of Market East (my neighborhood) and this part of Chestnut Street. Out of nowhere an opportunity sprung up for me to actually try to make a difference. Put my money where my mouth is. We have been working very hard on this project and I think that you will really love the scale, the offerings, and this massive change for this part of town. So, give me a chance. And please come in next week and say hi. There are two entrances - one on Sansom and one on Chestnut Street.

By the way, "Blue" is not part of our concept. Lady or City!!!
    We're rooting for you.

And I think you need a blue spot somewhere on the walls
    I am not the Jackass Whisperer.

Jayfar is offline Junior Old Fart

Quote Originally Posted by Hospitalitygirl View Post
    We're rooting for you.

And I think you need a blue spot somewhere on the walls
    And a wig department.
    “Guys like you I would dispatch with my roofing axe.” -- BootsywannabeACretin